Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2015, 10:01 PM   #1

Drivers license with no physical address

Almost everything is falling into place with our plans to go full-time later this year. That’s a good thing! But the one thing that worries me most is getting the state of Florida to issue a drivers license with our new mailing address on it (which will be through St. Brendan’s Isle mail forwarding service). We are now legal residents of Florida and have been for a long time. Further, we intend to remain Florida residents as we travel, despite selling our home and giving up our physical address. The problem is that Florida requires proof (actually, two forms of proof) of residency (a deed, mortgage paperwork, rental agreement, utility bill, etc.).

Can anyone enlighten me on how to get around this bureaucratic red tape? I’d be especially interested in hearing from folks who’ve been there, done that… in Florida.

And by the way, I am not willing to impose on a friend or family member, and keeping the S&B is not an option.
Radio Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2015, 10:11 PM   #2

I think all States require a physical address for a Drivers license. It's not Bureaucratic Red Tape as much as having a way to physically locate you or a place where the people who live there can contact you. There are several reasons for this and they won't even let the address be a PO box. Driving is a privilege and not a right so you pretty much have to follow the rules. If you don't have a residence why would Florida or any other state be obligated to license you. So you may have to ask a relative if they would mind that you use their address for that purpose.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:25 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
See if you can contact these folks: Outside Our Bubble | Stepping out of our comfort zone

They sold their home in NY, went full time, and set up as residents of FL.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:27 PM   #4

I have a UPS store box. Legal. Works.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:28 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
A Fl. bank account# might be the only additional pc. you need...just saying it works in Texas .
Old 03-14-2015, 10:37 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Contact Escapees. My understanding is that they have now established a Florida based mail forwarding service that satisfies all domicile requirements .
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 12:26 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have you discussed your needs with St Brendan's Isle?

It's my understanding they can assist with Florida residency, vehicle registration, driver's license and voter registration.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 03:51 AM   #8

It's not true that you have to have a physical home in a state to declare it as your domicile for getting a drivers' license or conducting the business of your life. It is true that some states make that easier to do than others and that it has gotten more complex over time to do so. The states mostly care at the end of the day that you are clear and consistent about what you are doing and that you aren't doing so to dodge the law or taxes in some way.

Three states are considered more friendly to full time RVers, Texas, Florida and South Dakota. South Dakota has issues now around getting healthcare, but both Florida and Texas have a clear process for handling full time travelers. St. Brendan's Isle should be able to guide you since you've already signed on with them or you can find excellent guides and resources through escapees.com as previously recommended. They have a long history and lots of experience helping people to do this. My understanding is that the most critical part of the paperwork process generally takes at most a couple days to complete.

Good luck! We hope to be joing you in two years (two months, and seventeen days, not that I'm counting!).
Njtroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 04:58 AM   #9
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
Almost everything is falling into place with our plans to go full-time later this year. That’s a good thing! But the one thing that worries me most is getting the state of Florida to issue a drivers license with our new mailing address on it (which will be through St. Brendan’s Isle mail forwarding service). We are now legal residents of Florida and have been for a long time. Further, we intend to remain Florida residents as we travel, despite selling our home and giving up our physical address. The problem is that Florida requires proof (actually, two forms of proof) of residency (a deed, mortgage paperwork, rental agreement, utility bill, etc.).

Can anyone enlighten me on how to get around this bureaucratic red tape? I’d be especially interested in hearing from folks who’ve been there, done that… in Florida.

And by the way, I am not willing to impose on a friend or family member, and keeping the S&B is not an option.
HERE is a link to a blog post by a couple who recently changed their residency from SD to St. Brendan's Isle. It will give you the steps and examples of what is required for your licenses at the DMV.

The St. Brendan's Isle address meets the Florida DMV requirements for a physical address. Contact them regarding the items required to prove you "live" there.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:07 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
.... And while you're at it, google the history behind the name "St Brendan's Isle". An interesting glimpse into historic mythology.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:26 AM   #11
YC1

American Home Base for mail forwarding and a physical address. A voter registration card, a passport, too. A monthly bill from the RV place you are staying. Since you are now a renter.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:35 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post

Since you already have a Florida driver license and vehicles registered in Florida with a Florida address.

All you have to do is go on line to Go Renew and have your license etc changed to your new address. If your new address has a POB number just change it to apt. Your new license etc will be sent there.

Don't forget to have all your mail from USPS forwarded to your new address.
Quote:
The problem is that Florida requires proof (actually, two forms of proof) of residency (a deed, mortgage paperwork, rental agreement, utility bill, etc.).
You can use a bank statement, cell phone bill, DirecTV bill with the new address on them as proof of residency. You can change address on most of them on line also. And your new license will have that address on it already.

I full time in Florida and never have been at my address and never have had a mortgage or rental agreement. Had to renew license a couple years ago. No problem without them. Needed paper work for Licence renewal
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
I think all States require a physical address for a Drivers license.
Full-time RVers do not need a physical address. They need a legal address and mail forwarding companies that cater to full-timers will give them that personalized address.

We've used the mail forwarding from Escapees in Texas for 18 years with no problems. They are based in Livingston, TX and when you go there to set up your mail forwarding and domicile (registrations, driver's license, voter's reg., etc.) all the government agencies needed to do this whisk you from place to place to get it done - legally. It can all be done in a matter of hours.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 05:55 AM   #14

We have an Oregon DL and do not have a physical address. We have a mail service and all we had to do is meet the requirements to have our license to say....."continuous traveler" . Our license shows our mail forwarding address and under it it show "continuous traveler". Not saying every state has this option but might check it out.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver