RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-05-2020, 01:54 PM   #15

One thing to remember is that no matter what State ( FL, TX , SD or any other State ) you use as your domicle, if you have Real Estate (home, vacation home, rental property etc.), as opposed to personal property, in another State you need a will or living trust for that State as well as the one for your domicle State. Your will or living trust from your domicle State is not valid or enforceable in the State that any Real Property is located outside of your domicle State.

TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2020, 07:57 PM   #16

We are escapees members, but chose to use Good Sam out of Crestview FL to be our mail forwarder. We were given a physical address that counts as a legal domicile. We went with Good Sam over escapees, because we didn't like that escapees uses there Texas location as the clearing house for all your non-legal mail/packages. Crestview is also in a county that has lower car/RV insurance rates than the county escapees is in. Has worked perfectly so far.

Jlo11111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:12 PM   #17

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
Since you quoted my post, I can't figure out the relevance of Box Elder and whats required to obtain a FL DL
Simple explanation... Just pointing out that thru the SKP organization that the requirements for your state domicile (S & B address) and meeting the Fed's requirements for the "Real ID" drivers Lic. are not that difficult whether it is TX, SD or FL.
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:10 AM   #18

We did it yesterday

We just set up our Florida domicile yesterday, following the directions provided by escapees.

it was very easy! The folks at the dmv/tax collector office were very nice and knew exactly what to do. ( we were prepared with passports, ss cards, escapee letter, etc...)

Drivers licenses took about 20 minutes. We almost forgot to file our “declaration of domicile “ with the county clerk. We had one of the local clerks notarize the form, then paid $10 to file it. Everyone was very nice.

notes,

the guide seems a bit out of date, but we got it done, ( certification form is no longer needed and voter registration is now done when you get your license)

no electronics are allowed in the court records office, so leave your phones, iPads, etc in the car.

after, we drove to Sumter oaks rv park. It was ... just ok. The office staff was nice but referred us to Livingston Texas for all escapees questions.

feel free to ask me any questions!
Jerryss2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:12 PM   #19
jrs

Florida advantages mentioned above. Because we're under 65 yrs old, PPO health coverage was key. We chose MyRVMail.com in Crestview, FL who also handles Good Sams mail service. They've been great to work with. Didn't want to deal with the 2 address Escapee mail service. It was also very easy to set up our domicile.
Would have gone with SD if they had PPO health care coverage.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:15 PM   #20

Fl vehicle registration for a car is
$400.00. Of course it goes by GVW.
Trucks and RV more $$. Take your check book
Safe travles
Old 02-12-2020, 06:54 PM   #21
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejjt View Post
Fl vehicle registration for a car is
$400.00. Of course it goes by GVW.
Trucks and RV more $$. Take your check book
Safe travles
The approximately $400 is only for the FIRST year which includes transferring title, 1st year registration fee and new license plate.

I am a Florida resident. When I registered my class A diesel pusher (purchased used from out of state), I had a plate left over from another vehicle I sold, so that number was reduced by $225. I did have to pay FL sales tax on the purchase amount. That was a one-time expense. We do not have any county PPT (Personal Property Tax) here that keeps taxing us year after year.

Renewal for cars is based on weight and maxes out at $45.60. Renewal for RV's is also based on weight. Motorhomes over 4500 lbs. is $58.85.

Annual registrations for commercial trucks is a different matter. That will cost much more. But we are talking about RV's, right?
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:17 PM   #22
WVI

Is that correct, $400.00 per car to register in Florida the first time, and pay sales tax on top of that, after already paying in another state??
WVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:31 PM   #23
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVI View Post
Is that correct, $400.00 per car to register in Florida the first time, and pay sales tax on top of that, after already paying in another state??
For my out of state purchase (in post just above), I did NOT pay any sales tax in the other state. It was a private sale, but if it was a dealership I believe I would have received credit for any tax paid in the other state. Then, only would have had to pay the difference if the FL sales tax was higher. Or, I would only be paying tax in FL, but I am not sure how an out of state dealership sale works.

In my case, I paid the private seller, already had insurance in place, had the Bill of Sale in my possession as well as the signed title (both provided by the seller), drove the coach home with no tags, and parked it on my property, all of this on a Sunday. Then I did all of the paperwork and paid the state of Florida for everything at my local DMV office in Florida on a weekday.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:29 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVI View Post
With proof that you paid tax in another state they reduce your sales tax due by the amount you paid in another state. So no you won't get double taxed.

what they are looking for is FL residents who buy out state, don't pay tax in another state and then try to skip paying the 6% FL sales tax.

Tax a look at these. https://www.sarasotataxcollector.com...itlePacket.pdf
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:29 PM   #25
WVI

Thanks.

WVI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida