Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2011, 06:48 AM   #1

Establishing residency in Tennessee?

We're 76 days away from full-timing and the clock is ticking! We had researched the residency issues and had settled on Texas. I'm very fortunate in that I can remain with the company I am with now and work remotely, but have just been informed that I will need to have a permanent residence in one of the states where our company is incorporated (don't ask - just accept that statement - it's a long story.) The only income tax free state on the list is Tennessee (the bulk of taxes would be paid on personal income, not investment income, so we're OK there).

All our research and winter plans had revolved around Texas. Now, however, it seems Tennessee will need to be figured into our plans. Does anyone have experience and advice regarding establishing residency there?

Thanks in advance,
Linda
LindaCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2011, 07:12 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
welcome to tn you will love it
if you dont plan on an actual stix and brix i know that in crossville be sides all the golf and rv/stixnbrix with att rv barns that there is a mail forwarding service that our 5er friend use they call for forwarding and have it at a general post office delivery in about 2 days and the PMB company sorts out the junk mail if requested
come stay awhile you fall in love with our state
brianj
Old 09-12-2011, 09:05 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I understand there are some counties in TN with very high taxes on RVs. It might be called a personal property tax or something like that. It might be a good idea to pick a county with a low tax on RVs.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:22 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Sundance3200
We just sold the sticks n bricks and are now fulltiming. We have lived in Chattanooga Tn all of our lives, it is easy to establish a residence here. There are multiple UPS offices here that have mail boxes for their customers. Cost is $15.00 per month, and they will forward your mail anywhere that you tell them. Their address is considered a real address that you have to have if you have a weapons permit. Then change your DL, and get your tags, you can vote by absentee ballot. Our tags cost us $28.00.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:31 AM   #5

Thanks, all

I appreciate the replies - I will definitely compare counties by property tax rate and will check into the UPS stores.. this is great information to have.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:39 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Sundance,

I believe there is at least one county that doesn't recognize fulltimers for voting purposes.There was a big thing in the papers and on several forums during the '10 elections. Has that changed.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:42 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
My Rv registration is $24.00 state & $20.00 county wheel tax $44.00 total. There are no other costs for the Mo/ho except fuel etc. I have a house & 2.6ac.--taxes here are less than $400.00 / year Come to Tennessee.Discover"T"
Safe travels...
skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:53 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipwil View Post
My Rv registration is $24.00 state & $20.00 county wheel tax $44.00 total. There are no other costs for the Mo/ho except fuel etc. I have a house & 2.6ac.--taxes here are less than $400.00 / year Come to Tennessee.Discover"T"
Safe travels...
everthing he said but you can save $20.00 a year our county does not have a wheel tax
the only problem with TN is once youre here you wont want to leave our scenery is as good as is gets and we have the absolute finest roads you can almost remove your shcks as we have no bumps
brianj
Old 09-14-2011, 01:59 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Sundance3200
We also have no wheel tax to speak of in Chattanooga, but they do have a clean air inspection for automobiles and trucks under 9k it costs $10.00. Property taxes are not bad, groceries are also not bad. I filled up my in bed diesel tank this morning for $3.50 a gal. It is a beautiful state and the cost of living is great. There was a problem with voting in Cleveland, Tn. but a lawsuit got that thrown out, and fulltimers with a permenant (UPS) address can now vote absentee.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:19 AM   #10

Good to know about the voting rights being re-affirmed. We won't be establishing a sticks-n-bricks residency - just the UPS box thing. And I am happy to find out that there is no personal property tax in Tennessee (a welcome relief after Missouri - those of you who do not live in a personal property tax state do not experience paying a yearly tax on your vehicles, RVs, boats, horse trailers, etc., but it's always a surprise how expensive it can be every December!)

For those of you who have experience with the UPS Stores mail-forwarding - I'm assuming they just forward everything, junk mail and all? (As opposed to the more dedicated mail-forwarding businesses) How expensive is that?
Old 09-15-2011, 08:04 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired in 87, moved to Florida for "The LOW Taxes" and low Cost of living !

Stix & Brix property taxes have risen from 685/yr to over 1800/yr.

Home Owner's Insurance (I'm with USAA)... started out at less than 800/yr and that was with a $3 Mil Umbrella Rider cause I had a "bad temper and short fuse" for a bit after leaving the canoe club (USN). Now my Insurance is over 6000/yr and had to drop the Liability Rider to $1 Mil or pay heafty stipend... besides DW has beaten all the aggression outta me over these last 24 years.

Recent travels to Pa, WV, Ga, Carolinas we found groceries, especially produce and fruits were 30- 50 % cheaper outside Florida.

Anyone know someone looking for a Stix and Brix valued by insurance co, property appraiser, bank at over 400,000 with 250,000 to spend ??? Quik sell and rapid evacuation already planned soon as someone makes an offer !!!!!!!!!

DW and I have always been travellers, Navy taught us how to relocate quickly and efficiently, most pictures fall off the walls and look for boxes every 2 or 3 years anyhooooooo. There are sooooooo many trout, deer, elk and phesants elsewhere few if any can be found in Florida and I am anxious to flee to the Open Road where I belong !

Tenneesee, Texas, Georgia, Oregon all becon to me as a "retiree" and I want to be free !!!

I do NOT suffer from mental illness, but rather enjoy it daily !
Old 09-30-2011, 08:45 AM   #12

Tennessee

Have lived in Tennessee all my life but for 4 years in Texas. Both are GREAT states to live. Tennessee is "greener" than Texas, more trees and about 10 degrees cooler than most of Texas. Sales tax was cheaper in Texas than in Shelby County, Tennessee, don't know about the rest of the state. Middle and East Tennessee are definitely the prettiest part of the state. Lots of rolling hills, trees, beautiful parks, golf courses and mountains, but also cooler. That's good in the summer, not so good in the winter. Stay out of the Memphis area and Shelby County, crime is high, taxes high and going higher and racism is bad. Just about anywhere else is OK. I would look closely at Cookeville, Murfreesboro, and Fayetteville/Winchester areas. Cookeville was recently listed by Money magazine as one of the top 10 inexpensive places to retire in the USA. Also is well known for it's year round kayaking. Wherever you land, just be sure to get out and explore your new state. I think you'll enjoy it.
HLaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 08:13 PM   #13

I realize I am bumping an old thread but what are the 2020 laws regarding residency. We would like to domicile in TN and plan to spend part of the year there but not own property
chap442 is offline   Reply With Quote