Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-29-2021, 10:32 AM   #1

Ever had chassis or frame issues?

I've been RVing for about 20 years now, but not full time. I've had 2 trailers prior to my current 2014 Arctic Fox 25r. All have had bent chassis to one degree or another.

I sold the previous trailers when i noticed they were bent. I bought the AF because of their so called sturdy chassis.

I've logged about 20k miles on the arctic fox and spent about 200 nights in it. I tend to go out for 6 weeks at a time.

I'm out roaming the SW now. Earlier on this trip i noticed the cross member for the a-frame tongue was bowed and there was excessive flex in the tongue. Fortunately i found a great welder in panguitch, utah who straightened and reinforced the cross member which resolved the problem. However, I've now noticed that the bathroom door and the pantry door are a bit off square. They may have been this way for a while before i actually noticed, Same with the tongue.

So, I'm asking you full timers if you've had your rv get a bit off square from all the over the road miles? Is that when you ditch it and get a new one? do you have the chassis straightened? or just live with it?

Other than those 2 issues, I'm perfectly happy with this trailer. Especially now that I upgraded my solar to 800w with 400ah lithium and all victron components....but I digress. Thanks!
Whangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2021, 03:45 PM   #2

Some folks really torque those leveling jacks and this may be the cause of the frame warps. The other occasion is going in and out of uneven drives where the trailer gets its arse dragged and if done off kilter one side is being dragged. Weight distribution hitches put further stresses on the trailer frame as well!

Happiness is a state of mind, so if you are happy, don't worry be happy. If there is an alignment issue then yea get it straightened and strengthened.

Carry on, facts are much better than fiction or pretensions.
I got my two COVID-19 Inoculations how about you?
I know someone who does not believe in science, has not seen a doctor
in like forever.....
Old 05-04-2021, 06:05 PM   #3

We had a travel trailer, 5th wheel and motorhome and no issues with the frames.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, frame