Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2020, 08:20 AM   #85

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPhil View Post
I've been told by a loan officer, an insurance adjuster, and an auto auction that specializes in RV that they all use 20-25% off the lot, 10% the first year, then 4-6% each year thereafter as a depreciation schedule when valuing RV's.
Do you know the number they use as the starting point? Is it the MSRP or the price on the sales invoice?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2020, 05:13 AM   #86

That is an excellent question
Alikair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:40 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alikair View Post
That is an excellent question
Good Morning...
I am calling today.. .last day... July 31 2020 will be the last day of the previous life. Tomorrow will be day one.

I am roughly two years behind you, but with different goals... but sharing a lot of the same points... selling it all .. downsizing... only, I don;t plan to come back.... I will be under the bridge or way out on the boonies and that is where it will end.. and that is fine with me.

So.. you are two years into it from the first post in this thread... .. I could read the interim 7 pages of sidetracks.. but I thought I would jump to the end to get you 2 year summary of your experience....

How far have you made it in travels? and has two years been enough? What is it that might keep you out there on the road, and what is it that makes you want to S&B asap.. ?

cheers!
RvNaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 02:14 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Do you know the number they use as the starting point? Is it the MSRP or the price on the sales invoice?
Sorry. I am just seeing this. I do not know that answer to that question. Tho, I suspect, from their perspective, it is about value to replace/trade/auction, so it would be the MSRP...of course that is just my guess.

I am now learning about the huge difference between MSRP and what one would actually pay leaving the lot for the first time. So, I do not know how that would factor.
LPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:46 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D. View Post
took him 2 years to sell and then he got pennies for it.
Jay D.

Because... in my search for a rig for myself. it seems most people ask for way more than their rigs are worth...
RvNaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:45 AM   #90

March 2019 we sold our home, cars and anything we didn't want to take with us. We bought a 2018 Grand Design 5th Wheel(very loud groan for never ending corrections of inferior quality in workmanship and materials used) and a F350 diesel dually. Haven't looked back.

We found a couple of locations we're returning to this year and next. We've also found where we'll call home when the travel becomes too much. Neither of us had ever spent the night in a RV prior to buying it.
tigerGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 02:41 AM   #91

JJ,
I noticed that too, when I was shopping. People asking too much.
But the sad truth is that because of the insane initial pricing and rapid depreciation, many sellers are way under water. Even after many years, they could still owe much more than a buyer is willing to pay.
So generally I feel for these people (often elderly and often widowed) and don't blame them for at least trying to break even.
But then there are some sellers who don't examine the market and just focus on "I paid $200k and I shouldnt have to take less than $180k and that's that!"
Brianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 01:15 PM   #92

Rexhall Owners Group
During our lengthy search for the two motorhomes we purchased, outstanding loans against the sellers RV was often the driving factor on sellers price. Many times, a widow is left with an RV she didn't drive, didn't know how to maintain and owes more than the RV is worth. As a starting point, she will want to get at least the outstanding loan amount. That number will drop once she's hit with the hard reality of the RV market. It's the sad story of those that purchased RV's on a limited budget without giving much if any thought to what happens if and when.
garyb1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:09 AM   #93

There are a couple of those semi-fake "let's buy an rv" shows on tv. In every episode, the buyers have a budget amount (50, 80, 150, 300) and you can tell that what they actually mean is a maximum monthly payment.
I'm always thinking "no, don't do it!"
Brianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 03:46 AM   #94

I can't wait to be able to answer this question.
I'll bet it will be no.
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote