Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2020, 04:27 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Power and water are easy. You can meter both and charge accordingly, or just be a support mission for the FIL. But sewer is a potential issue. You’re on an acre, so are you on septic? Either way you can run some 3” ABS and tie in to an outside clean out, but if on septic you'll have that impact to.

Not to mention the loss of privacy and autonomy you currently enjoy. An acre is just enough for a single family, but it will get tight for an extended one. I’m on 40 and I don’t think I’d like the impact. It is family and if there are no other alternatives....?

But I’d look for other solutions, and if you find a better one, you can present it in a positive, problem solving light, rather than a negative veto type message. But not knowing any more details, I’d side with the veto. You settled on an acre for peace and quiet and privacy.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2020, 04:29 PM   #16

We are on 1 acre lots here in North Florida. My neighbor across the street has the wife's mother living in a travel trailer in the back yard. Works for them. Probably not legal if someone was to call code enforcement. You wouldn't normally look twice at the RV in the back yard except he also has a 30' travel trailer in the driveway.

OTOH my oldest son who lives in Sandford got himself into a sticky situation when he allowed his ex-wife's mother and married sister and husband to park their RVs in his yard "for a week" when they moved from Colorado to Florida. That week stretched into over a month with no end in sight. Luckily, someone reported it to code enforcement and magically they were gone in a day.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 04:33 PM   #17

X2 on zoning laws and ALL of the comments from the other posters! Reading bewtween the lines, it also sounds like there may be issues between you and the FIL. I hope you can get all this resolved to everyone's satisfaction. Why not look into a nearby apartment?
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 04:38 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Or a near by RV park with long term rates. You could probably do that for around $500/month and it would be logistically easier, no hassles with neighbors or code enforcement, and you get to keep your sanity
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 05:10 PM   #19

R. Wold, that's a great idea if there's a nearby RV park! Remember, the park will charge for the electricity separately.
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 05:17 PM   #20

A nearby apartment is the best answer. If your husband and Father in law don't think it is a good idea, take it for yourself.
kcdogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 05:33 PM   #21
JC2

Texas Boomers Club

JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 05:49 PM   #22

For long term parking of a RV in a back yard, consider having a RV carport installed. Also check with a local contractor to install a small septic tank/system.

grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:07 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
instead of an RV, look into a tiny house.https://tinyhouselistings.com
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:24 AM   #24

Bad idea unless Dad is in need of personal care now or will be in the near future. If the latter, then you better prepare yourselves for a caretaker role. Definitely not a motor home. If you are unable to bring in (legally & physically) a mobile home, manufactured home, or build and in-law suite, get Dad a nearby apartment/condo as others have suggested. But this is just me, the relationship with Dad is the key, not the specific living arrangements. You and your spouse face a major decision. I've just said a little prayer for you and wish you the best.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 11:26 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmgirl954 View Post
Hello. we are completely new to RV world. my husband and his dad want to buy an RV to park permanently in our back yard for the father in law to live in full time. He has always wanted us to rent him a room in our house but I told my husband I want my independence so they came up with this idea. I have a one acre property. we live near fort lauderdale so it is a city not rurual area. The plan would be to park the RV in our yard and connect to our water and electricity. They mentioned getting a composting toilet. so in your opinion would this be a good idea? I don't want him to depend on our house and be totally independent. Can you just easily connect an RV to the house electrical? how would the toilet thing work? or what would be the best option. what other issues could we expect? do things break down alot? I am just afraid he will be relying on our home regardless. any tips, ideas opinions are much welcome.
We happen to have several properties and none of the zoning in any location allow temporary let alone permanent living in any kind of RV, limited parking only

check you zoning before spending money
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 11:51 AM   #26

Ha !, i'm a father and father-in-law,,, about 4 years ago I got divorced and didn't want to rent an apartment or buy a house, I'm a very senior,,, son has a sizable piece of property and decided (with their agreement to buy a 5th wheel) and set it on their property. We're rural and don't have strict zoning rules. I ran water, electric to the site, I installed an electric meter and pay for my power. I had a large propane tank installed for heat, I had an septic tank installed (no permit but to code) In the first year I used a honey wagon and used the kids house for my dumping, that got old. I have an sat. dish on the roof, and an internet connection at the house.
One important thing I always keep in mind anytime I do add-on's is that I remain mobile,,, all quick disconnect stuff, I can break down in an hour and can become mobile . Although in 4 years I haven't moved off site I consider myself a happy full time camper and remember every day is a gift.
Hope this helps the OP in decision making.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 01:24 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coarsegold View Post
I think the toilet is the big issue. When you go #2 in an RV toilet it is meant to be moving around with other fluids and when you are ready to pull over and dump it will flow out. If you just sit still it does not work as designed. You will then begin to get the pyramid effect like in an out house and then it soon turns into a big problem! Compost may be fine but I am sure he will get tired of that soon and you can then guess who will be in and out of your house for his morning visit!
Will always need to keep an eye on the roof caulking as that can be an issue over time guaranteed.

Maybe just rent a portable out house and have it serviced as needed.
Meh.. Just have him go in the yard lol j/k. I have done this so many times when I knew I wanted to save space in my black tank when boondocking longer than expected. Of course I bury it deep.
gertpacu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:48 AM   #28

I may be on the wrong side of this fence and have expressed this multiple times, this is not camping or full time RV related living.

Placing a RV on a piece of land is alternative housing. No different than converting a shed to house a family member.

We full time, traveling and staying in wonderful places. We also go visit family members staying on their property. A few months ago we had to stay on cousins property due to travel restrictive, for a month, I love our RV life but after a month sitting in their yard we rented a house for two months till we could start traveling again.

If it isn't rolling you are just sitting still. Might as well be comfortable in something that is designed to live in full time.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote