Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2020, 09:53 AM   #29

Haven't heard a thing from the OP in quite a while. This has been a strange situation from the get-go!
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2020, 10:03 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coarsegold View Post
I think the toilet is the big issue. When you go #2 in an RV toilet it is meant to be moving around with other fluids and when you are ready to pull over and dump it will flow out. If you just sit still it does not work as designed. You will then begin to get the pyramid effect like in an out house and then it soon turns into a big problem! Compost may be fine but I am sure he will get tired of that soon and you can then guess who will be in and out of your house for his morning visit!

Will always need to keep an eye on the roof caulking as that can be an issue over time guaranteed.

Maybe just rent a portable out house and have it serviced as needed.

You do not get “pyramids” unless you leave the black valve open!
Old 06-30-2020, 12:36 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktn1966 View Post
I may be on the wrong side of this fence and have expressed this multiple times, this is not camping or full time RV related living.

Placing a RV on a piece of land is alternative housing. No different than converting a shed to house a family member.

We full time, traveling and staying in wonderful places. We also go visit family members staying on their property. A few months ago we had to stay on cousins property due to travel restrictive, for a month, I love our RV life but after a month sitting in their yard we rented a house for two months till we could start traveling again.

If it isn't rolling you are just sitting still. Might as well be comfortable in something that is designed to live in full time.
Agree with this. Kinda... When I full time I was wanting to stay in some spots for a month at a time. Quartzsite, then up to Zion Utah, and red rocks in NV, and up through Idaho. Most places I go now I just stay there. I still never get the full experience when staying for 3 weeks, so I have a feeling when I full time I will be at any given place for a month maybe two?
gertpacu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:17 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommar View Post
Haven't heard a thing from the OP in quite a while. This has been a strange situation from the get-go!
I've received a personal reply from her so she's still with us.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:23 PM   #33

If you are able to stay engaged with the area you are visiting then you are enjoying yourself and full timing. If you plan and do move regularly I consider that full timing, but sitting in a yard, or RV park never moving is nothing more than living in a basement. No room, smelly and moldy in the long run without constant maintenance.

So many people are looking for a cheap living arrangement and I don't believe a 200 sqft trailer is the best choice. An RV takes more maintenance than they are worth sitting in a yard.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:37 PM   #34

RV's stationary in yards is prohibited in most communities as a permanent living abode

For many good reasons
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 02:58 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
You might want to contact the good folks at Broward County code enforcement. It's pretty much a cinch that ordinances disallow your idea.

Lots of folks would have an RV for rent/use in their yard if it was legal to do so, this is Fla, the land of the $300 per night seasonal rentals
Old 07-05-2020, 03:25 PM   #36

Hey Farmgirl, it is truly like JAYC said. Check with your city and county regarding a person living in your RV on your property. There are very strict rules regarding that. I know, because I am a recently retired Realtor in WA. Here, you can only do it on your empty land for up to 6 months of the year with a SNOW BIRD permit, meaning you are gone the other 6 months. Another money grab. They really are concerned with the human waste, waste water, trash collection, etc though and not collecting residential property taxes for it ...
NZW7Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 03:32 PM   #37

Sounds to me like she doesn't want him anywhere near her, period.
desuhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 03:34 PM   #38

back yard living

bad idea from the git go. take this opportunity to move on with your life. ie let the FIL move in the house and you move out. if you don't you will be miserable.
Phantom13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 03:44 PM   #39

I don't know of any zoning that would approve this. BUT, I have known a lot of people who have done this "secretly". Call it a she shed, man cave, a peaceful place to play your music, what ever. Never tell ANYONE that a family member is living in it. Put a wood privacy fence around it. Have the correct plug installed for it. Grey water can be collected and used to water the lawn. Just convince him not to use any chemicals in it. Sewage will be harder. To keep the setup secret, you would probably have to have one of those portable pull along tanks on wheels and take it to the nearest place to empty occasionally, even in the house to your own toilet. Where there's a will there's a way. Sometimes parents have to be taken care of, even if they were abusive, alcoholic, etc. Sometimes kids have no money to come up with a better solution. I understand your situation.
Old 07-05-2020, 04:17 PM   #40

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree, even local codes without an HOA can be an issue, allowing NO living in stored RVs, even in back yard?
Old 07-05-2020, 04:56 PM   #41

Wow the Free US of A

Hi all,

I live in the United Kingdom, am really surprised that your zoning rules are so strict, and you put up with them. We have strict planning rules, but if an RV is on wheels, unless there are local resident exclusions from storing it at your home. They cant stop you using it to sleep in. Again as long as it CAN be moved. I had to laugh at the comment that 1 Acre is not much land. A really nice house on a large plot here, would be about 1/3 or an acre and most houses have less than 1/8 of Acre. Running a sewer to the rv should not be much of a problem, 1 trench for sewage pipe, water and armoured electric. He could be permanently connected, but pull the Black tank release once a week. Hope you solve it so you are all happy.
Hope you all keep safe over there, we love visiting you. Can't wait to come back and see you all.
Paulcourtyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 05:08 PM   #42

As usual a wealth of great info from our members. I would like to respond to your comment of you keeping your *independence*. The more pemanent you make dads home{rv} the more privacy and independence you will have...good luck to all
BOSTONBERNIE is offline   Reply With Quote