Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2020, 02:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
Working with a consignment dealer in TX. Financing of $17K approved through Medallion Bank - 120 months at 9.98%

My credit score is 806.

I realize there are limits for full-timers, but this still seems high. There are no pre-payment penalties, and we plan to pay it off early, but would you accept this deal with this interest rate?
RUN AWAY!! That is crap! I never had credit until I was about 33 (7 years ago) and even with a car loan paid off, and another almost paid off, and two credit cards paid off I am at 765. Main reason is my credit history. But I got a better APR for my car. 3.5%. My 5th wheel I paid cash so I couldn't tell you. 10 years though and 120 payments for only 17k? You will end up paying a lot of interest if it's out to 120 months.
gertpacu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2020, 02:21 PM   #16

Maybe they are doing this high rate because of the % that people default on RV loans? I know they are almost impossible to find if they want to repo one, and have to go through an eviction process if you're living in it (to which you move somewhere else and wish them luck locating you again). The tactics other than calling are checking POBox locations and looking for close RV parks. Otherwise they are almost impossible to find when used as full time living.
gertpacu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 05:43 PM   #17

Also this is for low-end used RV, not nice new fancy one. Plus we don't have a mortgage, rent, or own a home. Evidently that makes financing companies nervous...

In the end, our new deal is for double the amount, 6-7 years newer. 10% down, 180 mo, under 7%. Still not ideal, but given the sad state of availability of rigs in this price range, we're taking it. No pre-payment penalty so we'll probably pay it off within 5 years or so. Bottom line is that we preserved as much cash as possible and got all our payments/insurance well within our target numbers. Used RV (our home) plus one new car plus insurance at under 20% of our income. No other debts or obligations. If we can't manage to full-time at this level we're doing something wrong!
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 07:24 PM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Bottom line is that we preserved as much cash as possible and got all our payments/insurance well within our target numbers.
There are those who suggest that any debt is a bad thing. Others suggest that having an adequate cash reserve is essential and that depleting your only cash reserve just to avoid debt can leave you in crisis if you find yourself unexpectedly in need of cash. As long as you have sufficient cash flow from pensions, Social Security retirement, etc. to meet your monthly expenses, having some cash available for an emergency is a good thing.

Glad that you found a way to make it work for you.

Take care,
Stu
Old 06-15-2020, 08:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
There are those who suggest that any debt is a bad thing. Others suggest that having an adequate cash reserve is essential and that depleting your only cash reserve just to avoid debt can leave you in crisis if you find yourself unexpectedly in need of cash. As long as you have sufficient cash flow from pensions, Social Security retirement, etc. to meet your monthly expenses, having some cash available for an emergency is a good thing.

Glad that you found a way to make it work for you.

Take care,
Stu
Yes. We got out of debt when we first started prepping for ER. It was a big help for various reasons, but it was for a specific scenario. We were very leveraged.

Now, not so much. Still strategic, pay as little interest as possible. No credit card debt beyond 30 days ever.
Old 06-15-2020, 09:08 PM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV ownership is fraught with opportunity for something to pop up unexpectedly that the best solution is a cash solution.

The ability to self insure for those situations requires an adequate cash reserve. It seems, to me, that it's a good thing to have a cash reserve when owning an RV.

Take care,
Stu
Old 06-15-2020, 09:13 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
wow thats insane, my credit union is at 2.7 %
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 06:45 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
wow thats insane, my credit union is at 2.7 %

2.7 for new car is very different than buy a used RV, what is their rate for a used motor home?
Old 06-16-2020, 07:37 AM   #23

Had a talk with our dealer manager/finance guy. Two different finance companies passed on our deal, a third took it but only at 6.99%. I inquired about the reasons behind this, and it actually makes sense. The last time we had any sort of 'installment' plan was a decade ago. Since then all we have is credit cards which are always paid off monthly, no carry-over payments, no interest. From a credit perspective, we have a lack of history. We have also put most things in my name, which hurt my wife's credit history.

Any way, in a year we'll have the RV payment and a car lease with 12 months of payments and we can refinance if we need to...

This is something you don't hear a lot about when people rant about the wonders of debt-free living...
Old 06-17-2020, 04:33 AM   #24

My dealership got me around 4.2% through Bank of America a couple months ago for our 2017 Tiffin.
Old 06-25-2020, 03:00 PM   #25

Quote:
Had a talk with our dealer manager/finance guy. Two different finance companies passed on our deal, a third took it but only at 6.99%. I inquired about the reasons behind this, and it actually makes sense. The last time we had any sort of 'installment' plan was a decade ago. Since then all we have is credit cards which are always paid off monthly, no carry-over payments, no interest. From a credit perspective, we have a lack of history. We have also put most things in my name, which hurt my wife's credit history.

Any way, in a year we'll have the RV payment and a car lease with 12 months of payments and we can refinance if we need to...

This is something you don't hear a lot about when people rant about the wonders of debt-free living...
Credit rating is not so much as your ability to repay as it is about how well you play the system. I know folks who have had things happen after paying cash for 10-15 years. Then they find they cannot buy the house or living space, and some had issues renting, because of the lack of credit history. Not saying it is right, it is a huge marketplace and they prefer those who pay them well.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:00 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGoose View Post
Credit rating is not so much as your ability to repay as it is about how well you play the system. I know folks who have had things happen after paying cash for 10-15 years. Then they find they cannot buy the house or living space, and some had issues renting, because of the lack of credit history. Not saying it is right, it is a huge marketplace and they prefer those who pay them well.

You hit the nail on the head. Credit and debt is a big game. Having a cash reserve is critical if someone is full-timing it. But the game still needs to be played.

Use a credit card and then pay 98% a week later. Still remain almost debt free but at the same time showing a good history of use and payback.

Keep a couple hundred on another card and make steady payments.

There's a few FICO type forums that explain how to play the game. Ending up with an 800+ score is doable. A little debt is needed to pull it off. But, like you said, a continuing history is a big part of the game. Not to mention a bunch of other factors.

Unfortunately, a tiny bit of debt is a necessary evil if someone wants to achieve a real good credit score.

Jim58
Old 07-31-2020, 06:19 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim58 View Post
Use a credit card and then pay 98% a week later. Still remain almost debt free but at the same time showing a good history of use and payback.

Jim58
The last "new" credit card I got (from either Chase or Citi) had the proviso that they would not accept pre-statement cycle payments for the first 90 days of account use.

It takes months to make a significant improvement in a FICO score but only a few weeks for derogatories (slow/no pay, sent to collection, write downs, job loss, court judgment etc) to negatively impact the score.

There are different models within FICO that use different weighting for individual evaluation criteria - some more greatly favor steady payments, others the ratio of credit us to available credit, home ownership vs renting, etc. The creditor decides what flavor of report best suits their lending practices.

Tags
ems