Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2022, 01:34 PM   #1

First Three Months Full Time

Just about coming up on our three month on the road as full-timers. It has definitely been an adventure. I have read many of the other stories on here about difficulties just starting out and luckily we fall somewhere in between no problems at all and complete horror story.

We bought the RV in September after it had already been winterized, and this is where I made my first mistake, I thought I could inspect it myself. We pulled it out of storage in March and drove the behemoth down to Winfield, AL to get some work done and do the yearly service recommended for a DP. On the way we learned that the refrigerator didn't work. We got the other work done, had to order a refrigerator but due to the supply shortage it would take a few weeks so we bought a mini-fridge and decided to journey to our first major stop in Florida for two months.

No issues getting to FL, but after about a month there, the front A/C broke just in time for 80-90 degree days. Fun times. We made it work though and were able to get by with one A/C more or less. Also, the rear slide was having some difficulties, we added those to the list for Winfield, AL on the way back through when they put in our fridge. Ended up costing a lot more than we wanted, but not more than we had budgeted for.

Now, due to my horrible planning, we had to get from Alabama to Oregon in a week and a half and over Memorial Day weekend. A lot of long driving days that went fairly well, but at the end of each day some new issue seemed to crop up, from minor to fairly major. We reached Nebraska and our tailpipe fell off. I was able to rig it up enough to get into the nearest freightliner and sit in their parking lot/lobby all day and then start the leg of our next seven hour drive at four in the afternoon. That was a rough day.

The next day went well, but when we went to leave for the morning it felt like we had a flat tire when I turned on to the road. I pulled over, checked everything and nothing seemed broken, wrong, or out of place. I put it back in drive and did a nervous three hundred miles fighting Nevada wind and dust and freaking out that something was going to go wrong at any minute.

Luckily, I was able to book a nice RV spot on the Nevada/California border for Memorial Day weekend and get a little reprieve from driving and worrying about something wrong with the RV for a few days. Two more light travel days remain until we can park in Oregon for three months, but as a flatlander, this mountain stuff has me nervous. In God and GPS I will trust.

Throughout the entire journey, the stress has been a bit rough on the wife and I, but we have managed to not take any frustration out on each other. Full-timing so far has been a lot of fun and beautiful vistas, punctuated by moments of sheer panic, frustration and anger.

Working full-time from the road has its own challenges as well, but I will save those for later. One nice thing is now my team is on the East coast and I am in the West so I can be done working be 2 PM.

The adventure continues (hopefully).
Bogie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2022, 02:04 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Hang in there, things are bound to get better. What kind of rig are you driving?

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 02:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler of california View Post
Hang in there, things are bound to get better. What kind of rig are you driving?

Nick
2014 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA .. 39' long plus the toad. I wanted to buy a smaller RV but everyone recommended go larger for fulltiming. I am kind of glad they did for the space.
Old 05-28-2022, 04:33 PM   #4

From now on.... plan much less miles between destinations or you'll easily get down on full-timing. It's supposed to be a relaxing way of RVing... and it is!

What route did you choose from Nevada? You were questioning it previously.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 05:19 PM   #5

Bogie71 you've made it = the first quarter year is in your rear view mirror. As they say "what doesn't kill us makes us stronger".

You are doing what many folks dream about = relax enjoy and roll with all the punches.

We aren't full timers albeit thought for the longest time we wanted to be but now happily do a lot of several months trips over recent years. We've found that as the years have rolled on we don't drive as hard or as long and we incorporate a lot of "catch up" days in our plans. The latter allows for any breakdowns or when we find something of interest in our travels we want to stop at extra or spend more time with.

We've been on the road and twice needed a replacement engine over the years. Once we stayed in Pocatello Idaho and waited for the 12 days for supply and install still living in the RV. Another time, we left it at Great Falls for a little over 3 weeks and headed north (4.5hrs) to our daughter in the loaner vehicle until it was ready. Big bills both times, huge inconvenience but we have learnt to roll with the punches on any and everything that's totally outside of our control.

Deep breaths and "tis wot tis" over the years has become our mantra. As long as our health and pockets are plentiful we'll keep her rolling on down the road.

Happy and safe travels.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 05:44 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I agree with others, you are full time now. No need to go from Florida to Oregon in just a few days. Take your time ... limit your travel days to 300 miles or less. Smell the roses along the way. My opinion :-) Hope all goes well in Oregon!
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 08:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
From now on.... plan much less miles between destinations or you'll easily get down on full-timing. It's supposed to be a relaxing way of RVing... and it is!

What route did you choose from Nevada? You were questioning it previously.
Tomorrow we are heading up 395 to Susanville and then 139 to a campground near the Oregon border for a couple of days until the next site opens up, then we will go to Klamath Falls and 140 over to Medford.
Old 05-29-2022, 08:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
I agree with others, you are full time now. No need to go from Florida to Oregon in just a few days. Take your time ... limit your travel days to 300 miles or less. Smell the roses along the way. My opinion :-) Hope all goes well in Oregon!
Yeah, that was poor planning on my part. We are learning much, and the big one is that we are going to stay on this side of the country for a while.

I definitely want to come back this way for a while, I never knew that the Reno, NV area was so scenic.
Old 05-31-2022, 03:30 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
One thing I learned early on is never get upset or panic. When I did, my DW really lost it. Now I stay calm no matter what and she does too. Many times I don’t tell her of incidents, which helps her. When I lost the toad at the entrance to an RV park, I didn’t tell her about it for several months.

Living full time in a MH and doing a lot of traveling, will result in unforeseen incidents. You have to expect this and not worry or obsess about. It just comes with the territory. You must learn to roll with punches.
Old 06-02-2022, 01:52 PM   #10

If you haven't already, find one or two good Tiffin forums to join. Unless you have extremely deep pockets you will want to learn everything you can about all the systems on your coach and start doing your own preventive maintenance. I'm not talking about regular mechanical service but I'm talking about things like: rotating/refreshing fresh water tank, cleaning a/c filters (inside and on top of coach), servicing AquaHot, or flushing hot water heater if that is what you have instead, treating your roof, coating all rubber/plastic seals with 303, etc....etc....

I spend an average of 3 or 4 hours weekly, sometimes more, just on simply upkeep and maintenance as a full timer.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 03:44 PM   #11

Talking Feeling your Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie71 View Post
or out of place. I put it back in drive and did a nervous three hundred miles fighting Nevada wind and dust and freaking out
The adventure continues (hopefully).
We are 6 months into our full-time journey. We went through that Nevada wind issue too trying to get from Vegas to Oregon via Lake Tahoe. Road was shut down for days. We ended up staying in an RV Park near the roadblock for a week, and then backtracked south and up around California. Not ideal by any stretch of the imagination, but we made the most of it keeping our sights on Oregon. 2 months later, we are now in Michigan, having our summer plans detoured because of floods in Yellowstone.

Lesson learning.... weather plays a huge factor in full time if you aren't staying put.... which we aren't! America is way too big for sitting still.
beachrunner5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 03:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachrunner5 View Post

Lesson learning.... weather plays a huge factor in full time if you aren't staying put.... which we aren't! America is way too big for sitting still.
So true! Hope Michigan is treating you well. We volunteered at Sleeping Bear Dunes Nat'l Lakeshore for 9 seasons.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time