Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2020, 09:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
Now they have become increasingly popular as people can no longer afford their insurance.
Junk food is popular too, but it's still junk food.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2020, 02:45 AM   #16

I would consider a plan as "junk" if when you leave your home area you are not covered. This is a great failing of the ACA, especially for people who travel a lot. If you stay in one place the ACA is fine, though prohibitively expensive.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 05:38 AM   #17

Quote:
This is a great failing of the ACA, especially for people who travel a lot. If you stay in one place the ACA is fine, though prohibitively expensive.
Again, not true. Besides FL, there are several states that I am aware of that have nationwide ACA health plans:

- Alaska
- Alabama
- Arkansas
- California
- North Dakota
- Wyoming
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 06:57 AM   #18

You may be able to find one but certainly not one that is widespread or affordable .

You should look at the Medishare PHCS network. Very widespread and affordable.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:56 AM   #19
YC1

Quote:
If she is collecting SS doesn't she have Medicare?
Not at 62. She is disabled and collects spousal SS.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 02:26 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Florida Blue is on the Florida ACA exchange and has affordable premiums with nationwide networks.
TC Wndsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 03:15 PM   #21

I tried searching for a few New York hospitals on the Florida Blue website and I couldn't find any in their network.

I also tried Medishare's network and they are accepted by almost all New York City hospitals. Let's say you get cancer and you want the best possible facility, arguably Sloan Kettering in NYC. I don't see that Florida Blue would cover you.

The provider network is everything when it comes to health insurance.
Old 11-12-2020, 05:04 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
For the Florida Blue nationwide network you have to go to the Blue Select listings, you can’t find it directly on the Florida Blue website.
TC Wndsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 10:07 AM   #23

Ok anyone out there I see this thread hasn't moved for awhile but I need some advise on what state to make my domicile. I'm getting ready to pull the plug from work and will need ACA as I will only be 56 and I'm selling everything I own in Louisiana as this State is crazy high in their taxes and the way you have to have vehicles inspected and registering cars and return plates after you sell a car along with getting a notary to sign your title to sell to a private party is ridiculous. I'm in the process of looking for a new motorhome but really don't want to pay the worst State & Parrish taxes I've every seen in my life. So I want to change my domicile to a different state with reasonable taxes and registration fees before buying another motorhome along with getting it registered along with getting on the ACA so need a State that will be able to be used in all States. I plan on spending 6 to 8 months in the South thinking Florida but really open to anywhere warm during the winter I hate snow (LOL)then traveling back North in the summer months. So any help much appreciated
mebden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 10:46 AM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mebden View Post
Ok anyone out there I see this thread hasn't moved for awhile but I need some advise on what state to make my domicile. I'm getting ready to pull the plug from work and will need ACA as I will only be 56 and I'm selling everything I own in Louisiana as this State is crazy high in their taxes and the way you have to have vehicles inspected and registering cars and return plates after you sell a car along with getting a notary to sign your title to sell to a private party is ridiculous. I'm in the process of looking for a new motorhome but really don't want to pay the worst State & Parrish taxes I've every seen in my life. So I want to change my domicile to a different state with reasonable taxes and registration fees before buying another motorhome along with getting it registered along with getting on the ACA so need a State that will be able to be used in all States. I plan on spending 6 to 8 months in the South thinking Florida but really open to anywhere warm during the winter I hate snow (LOL)then traveling back North in the summer months. So any help much appreciated
OK, let's talk about the registration first. Florida, depending where you register will have a 7 to 8% sales tax. Registration is reasonable and there no longer is a personal property tax. No income tax either (remember SS and other benefits are taxable!)

We have been residents of Florida since 2006, well before we took SS. We continue to use Florida BCBS and any doctor in the entire US that accepts BCBS will be considered "in-network." Now, at your age it ain't cheap maybe $500 a month...each! We always went with a program that has no copays, but there are lots of options. Now that sounds expensive but Medicare costs about the same when you add in a drug program and a decent supplemental. The only difference is that Medicare has no deductible (well $350 on drugs) while BCBS has a significant deductible.

Hope that helps.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 11:57 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
Again, not true. Besides FL, there are several states that I am aware of that have nationwide ACA health plans:

- Alaska
- Alabama
- Arkansas
- California
- North Dakota
- Wyoming

Might be true...but those states are not ones FTrvs would use for their 'Domicile'
FL is
*SD & TX but No Obamacare Nationwide Plans
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 05:59 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrownstein View Post
OK, let's talk about the registration first. Florida, depending where you register will have a 7 to 8% sales tax. Registration is reasonable and there no longer is a personal property tax. No income tax either (remember SS and other benefits are taxable!)

We have been residents of Florida since 2006, well before we took SS. We continue to use Florida BCBS and any doctor in the entire US that accepts BCBS will be considered "in-network." Now, at your age it ain't cheap maybe $500 a month...each! We always went with a program that has no copays, but there are lots of options. Now that sounds expensive but Medicare costs about the same when you add in a drug program and a decent supplemental. The only difference is that Medicare has no deductible (well $350 on drugs) while BCBS has a significant deductible.

Hope that helps.
Ok thanks for your response I do have a GF that will be coming along to fulltime Rving and she collects a spousal SS and you said Florida taxes SS I thought they didn't tax any Social Security Payments?
mebden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 06:33 AM   #27
YC1

Quote:
Ok thanks for your response I do have a GF that will be coming along to fulltime Rving and she collects a spousal SS and you said Florida taxes SS I thought they didn't tax any Social Security Payments?

Florida does NOT have nay State Income Tax.

Insurance eats up 3/4 of my wifes SS. She is not eligible for Medicare yet.

In one pocket, out the other.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 06:37 AM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
You misunderstood. Florida doesn't tax anything...
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida