Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2020, 12:41 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Florida ACA for use around the country

This is my first year domiciling in Florida. I'm 58 so don't qualify for medicare yet and am in good health. One of the reasons I chose Florida was because I thought I read where some of the insurance options (Florida Blue rings a bell) were usable throughout the country and not just in Florida. Now when I'm looking for specific policies, Florida Blue tells me they don't have a product that can be used throughout the country. The agent didn't seem very knowledgeable so thought I'd ask here.
I'm also considering an indemnity plan, but that has some drawbacks that I'm not sure I'm comfortable with. I'm not interested in a healthshare plan.
CMHMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2020, 01:50 PM   #2

We have a Florida Blue Select plan through the ACA going on 4 years as full timers. We have used it in multiple states outside of Florida without any issues. The agent I spoke with told us the plan we have will consider any provider outside of Florida that accepts Blue Cross Blue Shield in network.

Contact Kyle from the Nomad Insurance Group as they specialize in all types of insurance for RVers.
mspicer1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 07:24 PM   #3

I have a BCBS EPO ACA plan that's good everywhere. Look for PPO or EPO. It _may_be limited by your location in Florida; I'm in Green Cove Springs.
Old 11-06-2020, 01:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhicks View Post
Look for PPO or EPO.
To be even clearer, make sure it's not a Florida Blue HMO.

If you use the Exchange's website, you can filter by PPO/EPO and HMO. Here's a link to shop for plans without creating an account or actually applying (I always have trouble remembering how to get there from the home page):

https://www.healthcare.gov/see-plans/#/

On healthsherpa.com, you can filter by carrier, and they have Florida Blue and Florida Blue HMO as two different carriers.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 03:35 AM   #5

What many people have found out is that the Affordable Care Act made their health insurance unaffordable. Also, most plans don't cover out of network and out of area providers. You can solve these problems by going to a healthcare sharing ministry. These were excluded from the ACA. I signed up for Medishare at about 1/3 the cost, and they have a network that covers most of the country and most hospitals.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 10:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
You can solve these problems by going to a healthcare sharing ministry.
The OP said, "I'm not interested in a healthshare plan."
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 11:20 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Buy something standard from Florida Blue, not an HMO but a PPO. There is no specific geographic network and for years we used doctors in Florida as well as new york. Any doctor that accepts Blue cross is considered "in network"

I do warn you that it won't be cheap but quite flexible. Something like $700 a month with a $2,500 deductible. That's so we can all pay for people to get insurance from the ACA for next to nothing.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 02:45 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Affordability of ACA plans depends on the level of coverage and your income level. Our Bronze plan has a high deductible but we are reasonably healthy and don’t run to the doctor for every little sniffle. Our monthly premium, based on our income and subsidy is VERY affordable.
TC Wndsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 05:42 PM   #9

Yes. I realize that now. Thank you. Still, I think people should be aware of this very good option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
The OP said, "I'm not interested in a healthshare plan."
Old 11-11-2020, 12:59 PM   #10

Quote:
I think people should be aware of this very good option.
First, none of the health share ministries are actually health insurance. These ministries are under NO obligation to pay any of your bills.

Second, most, if not all, of these ministries have restrictions on pre-existing conditions. Read the fine print before you sign up.

Finally, these are a number of health share "horror stories". So buyer beware:

- It Looks Like Health Insurance, But It's Not

- Buyer Beware (from Houston Chronicle)

- Washington State Bans Trinity Healthshare
TechWriter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 03:26 PM   #11

Correct. They are technically not insurance. They are a cost sharing system. This is what enables them to escape the Obamacare law. It is a far more efficient system without profits and without freeloaders.

When Obamacare was first enacted they were excluded because there were not enough votes in Congress otherwise. Now they have become increasingly popular as people can no longer afford their insurance.
Old 11-11-2020, 04:40 PM   #12
YC1

The wife just started collecting SS. Her health coverage eats up 75% of that. Go figure. Yes we are in Florida.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 06:58 PM   #13

If she is collecting SS doesn't she have Medicare?
Old 11-11-2020, 08:43 PM   #14

Quote:
If she is collecting SS doesn't she have Medicare?
Not for the first 2 years of collecting SS.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida