Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2016, 01:58 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Full-time alone or stay married ????

Ok heres a delima im in. my wife and i have been together for the past 8 years, I've always talked about full timing and we have had many DP's and thats what the plan was. we have sold the DP and was talking about getting a 5th wheel { toy hauler } and doing the traveling in that. we talked about selling the house and all the stuff we really don't need and hitting the road in 6 months. My wife said we could do it for 3 or 4 years and see how we like it, so i was fine with that. kinda get your feet wet and see what happens. Now I'm 45 yo and my wife is 40 and we are debt free and the sell of the house would buy the upgraded toy hauler. we have several rental properties and if and when it came time to call it quits on the road we would just move in to one of them. well today my wife informs me that she does not want to live in a rv and not even try it out. she said that she was just going along with what i was talking about just to humor me. so with her know that this was the plan from the day we got together and we just needed to wait till all the kids were out of school and out on there own, and that has happened now. So what do i do????????
Do i stay with the plan and see her when ever I'm back in town or do i give up the plan???
any advice would be helpful as i am so confused at the moment.....
thanks and please be nice.....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2016, 02:02 PM   #2

Call Dr. Phil ..................And that's not humorous
Old 08-04-2016, 02:06 PM   #3

Life is too short to not live your dreams.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:07 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow. Full timing is a big step. How about keeping the house and part timing / extended trips?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:08 PM   #5

Is this a serious question? If you full time alone you will of course get divorced. If that's what you want then by all means go for it. But if you love you wife and want to be with her, then plan on traveling in an RV from time to time on a mutually agreed upon schedule and duration.

I myself would never ever consider giving up my home and living full time in a motorhome, fifth wheel or trailer. Giving up my wife is a totally different question. ( Just kidding ) she's #3!

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
Old 08-04-2016, 02:09 PM   #6

You're kidding, right? Both of you have to want full-timing or it won't work. It's not for everyone.

Pick one: Full-timing by yourself or your marriage.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:12 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
this was the plan so thats why I'm putting it on here. has anyone else ran in to this?
Old 08-04-2016, 02:14 PM   #8

There is an old saying'...if it has [Moderator Edit] or tires you're going to have problems with it. And it looks like you're having problems with both. A good wife is hard to find, a good rv will never be found. LOL
Old 08-04-2016, 02:14 PM   #9

IMO, Marriage is a vow taken before God. That should not be taken lightly.
In every marriage each side must make compromises. I would never think to leave my wife just because I want to live somewhere else. No offense but this seems to be a very childish/selfish train of thought. I hope you both lead very happy lives together. God Bless.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:16 PM   #10

You need to have an honest and frank conversation with her. The obvious question is..... Is the issue full timing for 4-5 years, or is the issue that she wants a divorce. Assuming it's full timing she doesn't want, she owes you a heartfelt apology and explanation.
Full timing is not nearly for everyone. If she was honestly trying to please you out of love, then fine. She's guilty of poor judgement.
You're the only one that can have a true sense of her heart and intentions.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:25 PM   #11

Full-time travel in an rv is not important enough to divorce. The sanctity of marriage far outweighs the "call of the road." 🚍⚖💎
Hopefully a compromise will be reached. Travel in the fall to see leaves change and winter somewhere warm, then home for spring to do repairs on the rental property. 😋
Old 08-04-2016, 02:46 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
It's the whole "bait and switch" thing that would get to me.

Being told flat out "that she was just going along with what i was talking about just to humor me" would infuriate me to the point that I too would be reassessing my entire relationship. If this is truly the way things are in your relationship - my bet is that there are other situations where this manifests itself.

I can understand somebody not wanting to go full time ... we're all different. But the passive aggressiveness of "I was just humoring you..." and being unwilling to work to find a compromise that works for everybody would give me reason to rethink my relationship.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:05 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Only ONE Option!

Stick with the PLAN!

If it means divorce so be it.

I always had a dream when I was just a young boy of traveling around the country seeing as much as I could before leaving this earth. I also had a dream of building a log home on 10+ acres and calling that our HOME.

My second wife and I married in 1981 with the understanding of no children as I had two from my first marriage but she had none plus I had a vasectomy back in 1970.

Eight years later we purchased the perfect lot for the log home. 1 year later while working on the land to get it ready for building she informed me that she was leaving for another man. I eventually sold the land as I ended up moving to Los Angeles to finish my motion picture film career. No log home!

While single I purchased two different coaches and still own the second one I purchased in 2003. The first one was way too small for full-time RVing.

My third and fourth wives were California fortune seekers typically called swindlers so they are long gone.

My fifth wife is from northern Thailand and came to the US with no expectations other than to have a better life than what was available to her in Thailand.

Retired in 2009 and have been traveling the country for the last 6 years. No longer Full-Time RVing but will always use my RV for at least half of the year. So now I am a Part-Time RVer.

You only pass this was once and if she changes HER mind that doesn't mean that you have to change YOURS.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 08-04-2016, 03:16 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I do want to caution the OP we aren't marriage counselors here, we're RV'rs. Relationship advice probably isn't our forte, albiet given with the best of intentions. This may just be a situation best left to a professional therapist. JMO

Lori-
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
Closed Thread