Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2019, 08:18 AM   #1

Full time in C-Class

Good day! I have been following this site for about a year. Looking at pros/cons in all of the different RVs. It definitely overwhelming. Almost makes me skeptical in our decision to be traveling full time. We have maintained a 35 ft travel trailer 10+ years ago but just used as lodging at the lake.
My husband and I are gearing up for retirement in the next year and are leaning towards purchasing a C-class, hoping to keep it 26ft-30ft. It has been extremely hard to decide between 5th wheel and C-class. It has come to the time that we need to decide on what we are purchasing. (one of our vehicles needs to be replaced so we have decided to purchase whatever we plan to tow). Two questions.

How many of you full-time in a C-class and do you have specific advise on brand, size engine, etc? Due to cost to operate will probably go gas.

What vehicle do you tow?

Flat tow or trailer/dolly? (okay 3 questions)

thanks for your input!
Dkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2019, 08:43 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkelley View Post
Good day! I have been following this site for about a year. Looking at pros/cons in all of the different RVs. It definitely overwhelming. Almost makes me skeptical in our decision to be traveling full time. We have maintained a 35 ft travel trailer 10+ years ago but just used as lodging at the lake.
My husband and I are gearing up for retirement in the next year and are leaning towards purchasing a C-class, hoping to keep it 26ft-30ft. It has been extremely hard to decide between 5th wheel and C-class. It has come to the time that we need to decide on what we are purchasing. (one of our vehicles needs to be replaced so we have decided to purchase whatever we plan to tow). Two questions.

How many of you full-time in a C-class and do you have specific advise on brand, size engine, etc? Due to cost to operate will probably go gas.

What vehicle do you tow?

Flat tow or trailer/dolly? (okay 3 questions)

thanks for your input!
Hello! I've got some basic info, but I haven't actually made the leap that you're getting ready to. Like you, we plan to retire in the next several years, and we currently camp out of a small class C. So far, our longest stay has been 2 weeks, and we didn't run into any problems. Our C has a ton of storage, and I think it's because it doesn't have many features. No slideout means that there's storage above the couch, below the couch, under the dinette, and along every free overhead area. If you had a unit that was more comfortable for full-timing--a walk-around bed, a bigger bathroom, slides--you'd lose storage. Kind of a conundrum. For us, full-timing would involve a trailer to pull our motorcycle and offroad toys. So, we'd just make that an enclosed trailer, and have some additional room for seasonal clothing and the like in there. For your toad, I'd probably look at something like a crossover SUV just to have some more cubic feet to carry random stuff in. If I wasn't going to have anything but a toad behind me, I'd be tempted to flat tow and skip the dolly, but I've never done either.

If you're towing anything, you're likely looking at a Ford E-series for a class C, unless you went up to a Super C. So, your engine is already decided--a gas V10 for now, a big gas V8 in a couple years. Both are plenty capable of anything you'd like to do.

So, our plan is to try to take a couple months to try it out before we go full-on nomad. If our current unit has too many compromises, then we'd upgrade.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:30 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Why have you ruled out class A ? Much more storage for full timers. Most class C rigs are overweight before you even fill the meager storage. Definitely look at the CCC (cargo carrying capacity) of the rig you are considering and know that it will be reduced when pulling a toad behind you.

You will adjust to driving a class A, but the limitations of the class C for full timing be with you forever.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:50 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
We had a Class C before we retired. Great for weekends and 2-3 week trips. No slides, 29' long. But no way was it going to work for full timing. Just not enough storage room. So unless you are very, very minimalists, you will find yourself wishing you had gone with a Class A. Remember, the average amount of 'stuff' a full timer carries is 1500#/person. So for a couple, does that Class C have 3000# CCC?
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:52 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8722.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	287.0 KB
ID:	265845

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/highe...ht-328083.html
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:53 AM   #6

I own a small Class C now and will be moving to a Class A DP (I hope) when I retire.

There are hundreds, maybe thousands, of threads here about C vs A, gas vs diesel. If you have some Google-foo you will have hours and hours of reading pleasure. Oh, wait, you've been here for a year so you've seen how these things 'turn'. And you're still confused? It's paralysis by analysis, perhaps.

You don't want to make an expensive, bad decision and that's understandable. Here's my take - look at what you can reasonably afford to purchase and have some money (say 20% of purchase price) set back for repairs. If you purchase new it's folly to think/hope that warranty will save you when the slides won't go back in or you have issues not covered by the RV warranty (towing stuff, road hazard taking out a couple of tires, etc). You need a reserve to pay for these things until your warranty or insurance sorts it all out, at the very least.

Now, Class C.... the bigger Cs are nice (and the super C are super nice!). It's about storage and having enough room inside that you and your travel companion(s) are not constantly under foot. A big Class A is 320sf (a studio apartment is usually bigger) so a C? It's a tight fit if you're stuck inside due to weather. Make sure the floor plan suits that kind of circumstance. If there is only 1 "nice" seat, whoever ends up sitting at the dinette for hours isn't going to be happy.

Another reply mentioned taking toys like motorcycles and ATVs. If you *must* take heavy, big toys with you I submit you'll want a bigger, heavier RV regardless of C or A. You need to be able to tow safely. If you have lots of toys I think you need to look a diesel pusher or FRED (FRont Engine Diesel) Super C.

I don't tow, currently, because I don't have a lot of CCC to work with. I have a bicycle...
Old 11-04-2019, 10:11 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I have no experience with Class C's but noticed you are kinda new on the forum and wanted to say hello.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkelley View Post
My husband and I are gearing up for retirement in the next year and are leaning towards purchasing a C-class, hoping to keep it 26ft-30ft.

What vehicle do you tow?

Flat tow or trailer/dolly?
The size you're looking at in a Class C will be very tight for full-timing for two people unless you require very little in the way of 'things'. Many solo's use Class C's.

Personally, I'd recommend a Class A. It can sometimes be better to buy a used quality manufacturer RV rather than a 'weekend-type' new RV. There's a big difference.

Get a car that you can tow 4-down. It's so much easier. We had tons of fun with our Jeep traveling the backroads. Here is a 2019 guide for cars you can tow 4-down. If you're looking at other years just Google and you'll find the list.

https://webcontent.goodsam.com/motor...inghyGuide.pdf
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:08 AM   #9

The wife and I full timed, 6 months at a time, in a 30 ft class C.

We traded it for a 26 ft Thor Axis with a rear slide. Same amount of room in the main area plus we gained usable space in the drivers area and kept the walk around bed. We spent 7 months in it last year and are on the road again.

The reason for going with the Axis is that its built on a class C chassis. That keeps chassis repairs and tire replacement lower then a full class A.

It rides like a class C rather then the rougher riding gas powered class As.

We towa Jeep Renagade on a dolly with no problem.

It has less storage then our old C but over the years we got rid of un-needed stuff and it carries what we need.

If your set on a Class C , don't let anyone change your mind. That make great full time home on wheels.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post

Another reply mentioned taking toys like motorcycles and ATVs. If you *must* take heavy, big toys with you I submit you'll want a bigger, heavier RV regardless of C or A. You need to be able to tow safely. If you have lots of toys I think you need to look a diesel pusher or FRED (FRont Engine Diesel) Super C.

I don't tow, currently, because I don't have a lot of CCC to work with. I have a bicycle...
Excellent post, and good points. I should have pointed out that I had to search very deliberately to find a C that could tow and had lots of CCC, and I could only get that done by giving up creature comforts that most take for granted. If we decided we couldn't do our C, it would only be a Super C for us. I'd love to have the room that a Class A provides, but in the smaller size I'd want, they're only on the F-53, with very long rear overhangs and a very small tow hitch--not ideal for trailering.

OP--it will likely be easier to find what you want in a class A as long as you watch the weight ratings, and keep your toad lightweight. Just beware of the golden rule of the internet--most people will tell you that you need more than you actually do, and it can end up costing you money. Take it from someone that has all the internet-approved highest-quality accessories/upgrades on my truck, RV, offroad toys, trailer, electronics...

Anyway--no one wants to make an expensive mistake. So people often over-purchase for what they need. Once you've laid out the money for the big-dog diesel pusher with 2 bathrooms, you can't picture life without it. That doesn't mean everyone needs that, but it does mean that the people that have it will proclaim it to be smart money spent.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:04 PM   #11

Many people do full time in a Class C. DW and I could not.

You've used a 35ft TT for 10 years. Think about that trailer and living in it full time with everything you plan to own, clothes, cooking, supplies, tools, hobbies.

The livable area in a class C is smaller than the stated length do to the cab area. Will you be happy in a smaller area than your trailer? Will all your stuff fit? Does a small class C have enough cargo capacity for you, your stuff, and water?

Take some time to visit lots, go into several different class C and Class A units. Spend time in them thinking about living it in. Find a floor plan you like with enough carrying capacity for your stuff. You'll have your answer.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:58 AM   #12

Here's my 5 cents.

Can you FT in a Class C, of course you can and many do.

We are FTers and here's a few of things we've noticed while on the road:
1) Most—not all, but most—Class C's have only one A/C unit on the roof. If you spend any amount of time in states that have hot summer heat and especially in the south, you'll find that one A/C is not going to keep that rig nice and cool. Some folks end up buying an additional floor model A/C to compensate. We had a neighbor just last year next to us and that was their biggest complaint. We have seen a couple of Class C's with two A/C's but it is rare.

2) Like others have said, CCC is important. And remember, both you & your husbands weight count against your CCC totals in addition to everything else.

3) We've talked to several couples that own a Class C and one of the main reasons they went that way was because the wife felt comfortable that she could drive that type of RV. But was uncomfortable with the thought of learning to drive a Class A. We've met many, many woman who drive a Class A's—some solo—with no problem. Don't know if this applies to you but thought I'd throw it in there.

4) Class C's definitely have their advantages along with disadvantages like anything else. Class C's because they have smaller tires and on a smaller chassis with a big box on it, tend to get shoved around the highways easier too. But there are some remedies for that.

5) Class C's can get into smaller spaces at CG's, SP's and NP's and usually are 30amp.

Hope this helps.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:33 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
We started in a 25 ft Class C with no Toad. Soon realized that life would be much easier with a car. So after 4 months added a toad. This was over two 4-5 month trips

Then decided we did not have enough living room or storage so after another couple of 4+ months trips we ended up with a 40 ft. Class A DP and kept the toad.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:55 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Yup, fits the pattern of how people work through finding what they need to full-time comfortably.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time