Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2011, 06:57 PM   #15

All of the replies have given very good information. But I want to correct one item that keeps getting mentioned - that a fulltimer must have their RV / vehicles inspected once a year if you use Texas as your domicile. The fact (law) is that RVs and vehicles have to be inspected only when you go to Texas. So if you spend several years out of Texas you do not have to get the inspections done until you go actually to Texas.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2011, 07:19 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you for the informative posts.
I have been looking to find a place to retire to SD sounds about best. So in a year or two I will make a final decision.
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:23 PM   #17

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Another SD mail forwarder/vehicle reg, etc. is myhomeaddress.com
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:53 PM   #18

Why only 3 mos?

Al Sawyer
'05 MADP
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:38 AM   #19

My insurance agent is in Sioux Falls, SD and they reccommended to have my address in Emery, SD because where you garage your vehicle determines the premium. Emery is a small low traffic low crime berg. It helps to keep the premiums down. I set up my new address a few months ahead of needing it so all the address changes would be completed when needed.

My Home Address, Inc.
411 N. 6th St.
Emery, SD 57332
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:23 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
ralper,
I checked My Home Address web site and it looks like a good company. It looks like I can set this all up without going to SD. I will be doing my domicile change in the winter (dec 2014) and I dont like the cold weather. I want to have it completly ready to go for jan 1, 2015, I am guessing it will be easier to make a clean break on my California state taxes.
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smack2020 View Post
ralper,
I checked My Home Address web site and it looks like a good company. It looks like I can set this all up without going to SD. I will be doing my domicile change in the winter (dec 2014) and I dont like the cold weather. I want to have it completly ready to go for jan 1, 2015, I am guessing it will be easier to make a clean break on my California state taxes.
Keep in mind that you WILL need to go to SD to get your drivers licence. You can get plates, address etc. without going to SD using any of the good mail forwarding services there. But, you'll need to get the drivers licence to complete your domicile change. I believe the law states that you need to get the licence within 90 days of establishing residency.

Also, CA will be very specific on the break. Make sure you don't have anything that can keep you "in residency" in CA once you decide to make your move. e.g. house, salary (paycheck), bank account addresses, brokerage accounts, drivers licence etc. If you get any salary or income from CA (from jobs or rental income or anything else) you'll still need to report it & complete CA taxes even if you declare "residency" in SD.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:50 AM   #22
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I have been completely satisfied with My Home Address.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:47 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the info wheelingit. If I can't sell ca house I might have to rent it out. I am sure I will lose money every month on it, but I would hate to have to file in ca and sd. I hope I have all this figured out by the time I go FT. Maybe I will get lucky and the housing market will come back, wishful thinking.
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:02 PM   #24

Freightliner Owners Club
How does voting work. Do you register when you get the driver's license and apply for absentee ballots? What about state/local elections?
Old 04-14-2011, 04:59 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smack2020 View Post
Thanks for the info wheelingit. If I can't sell ca house I might have to rent it out. I am sure I will lose money every month on it, but I would hate to have to file in ca and sd. I hope I have all this figured out by the time I go FT. Maybe I will get lucky and the housing market will come back, wishful thinking.
Unfortunately f you rent, CA says you have to double-file. Went through this many years ago when we left CA the first time. If you get rental income it's considered "CA source income" and you need to file a CA tax form even if you're "officially" a non-resident (you file the NR version of the tax form). CA is very particular about wanting its' money and taxes all money made from CA sources regardless of whether you're a resident or not.

Here's the link:
http://www.ftb.ca.gov/individuals/wsc/withholding.shtml

Sorry....breaking CA residency is not easy...

Hope your home sells!
Old 04-14-2011, 05:53 PM   #26

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRVie View Post
How does voting work. Do you register when you get the driver's license and apply for absentee ballots? What about state/local elections?
Yes, that is what we do. Since we are Escapees, we use Livingston as our address and Escapees has a special address for sending absentee ballots. We vote in those elections where we believe we have an interest, for those offices, initiatives, etc., that are important to us - - those that are not, we don't vote in.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:23 PM   #27

I bailed out of New York State's high taxes .
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote