Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2018, 07:16 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Let's revisit this post after 2 or so years of full timing.

Edit - They may still not have/want a W/D, but they will eventually experience/understand the benefits of having one.

April was the start of year 7 of fulltime.
Every 3 weeks, one 6-bushel commercial washer....yadda yadda.
W/D aboard has no advantages.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2018, 09:23 PM   #114

When I was much younger, and rented an apartment, I did go to Laundromats. I never really cared too much for it, but there were some advantages. (Multiple loads at same time, etc)

Before I got to the point of owning my own washer & dryer, I was using a service at the laundromat, where they washed and folded my clothes, and back in those days, I also had a service to do my shirts. (We all wore ties back then)

It was not long till I either rented with washer & dryer in the apartment, as part of the rent. (For me, nice perk. Perhaps in my own mind, an upscale apartment).

I have had my own washer and dryer for decades now.

I have stated that when I go full time in my motor home, and perhaps even when just doing extended part time, I will install a washer & dryer, or some version of that. I stated that I am not a fan of laundromats.

I am also very handy, and do most of my own repairs on most of the things i own.

So, for all those who say they do not want a washer/dryer in their full time RV, I ask, do you have one, or did you have one at home?

I know there are plenty of people who use laundromats or laundry services while living in their sticks and bricks.

I am just trying to see if there is a parallel with not having a washer/dryer before full timing, and after, or not.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:11 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I am just trying to see if there is a parallel with not having a washer/dryer before full timing, and after, or not.
When the wife and I moved into our first post-college apartment that came with a washer and dryer, we thought we’d gone to heaven. We’d never live full time anywhere without it now. We did not have this capability in our prior Class C, and missed not having it on longer trips (we just brought two weeks of clothes).

We use the washer/dryer pair in our current coach almost daily (the washer is basically the dirty clothes bin). The interesting part is that the pad space we have has full sized units in an on-pad shed, yet we still use the units onboard instead. Plus, when traveling we can start a load and leave...for the day...and not worry about our clothes wandering off.
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 11:36 PM   #116

To the OP, we are not full timing but do use our RV a fair amount. We have had 8 various RV’s with the last two having units in them. Previous had a combo unit and our present one has a washer and a separate dryer. Other than boondocking We wouldn’t be without them. Preferably the individual units. We tried the laundromat and that just take more time to deal with than we wish to give up. With our own setup we can easily do a load every day or two and done. The issue we had with the combo unit is capacity and it was horrible about wrinkles. The other option of using a service is a good option assuming it is available in the area you are in. But we all have our thoughts on this do I think it is something you will have to determine what works best for you.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:24 AM   #117

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Full Timers and Washers/Dryers???

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Let's revisit this post after 2 or so years of full timing.

Edit - They may still not have/want a W/D, but they will eventually experience/understand the benefits of having one.

I don’t see many benefits. I’d rather go to a laundromat and do it all at once instead of taking all day to do multiple loads and I get a lot of reading done. Plus where it’d go in our fifth wheel is my closet. There is no other place to hang my clothes, keep my shoes and our towels and sleeping pillows( to keep the cat of the pillows) and I don’t need the extra weight.
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:46 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
When I was much younger, and rented an apartment, I did go to Laundromats. I never really cared too much for it, but there were some advantages. (Multiple loads at same time, etc)

Before I got to the point of owning my own washer & dryer, I was using a service at the laundromat, where they washed and folded my clothes, and back in those days, I also had a service to do my shirts. (We all wore ties back then)

It was not long till I either rented with washer & dryer in the apartment, as part of the rent. (For me, nice perk. Perhaps in my own mind, an upscale apartment).

I have had my own washer and dryer for decades now.

I have stated that when I go full time in my motor home, and perhaps even when just doing extended part time, I will install a washer & dryer, or some version of that. I stated that I am not a fan of laundromats.

I am also very handy, and do most of my own repairs on most of the things i own.

So, for all those who say they do not want a washer/dryer in their full time RV, I ask, do you have one, or did you have one at home?

I know there are plenty of people who use laundromats or laundry services while living in their sticks and bricks.

We did have washer & dryer at home .
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:25 PM   #119

I am the OP and after reading all the posts here, it appears that the majority of Full Timers have and like having their own WD on board. This thread WAS NOT to find a right or a wrong way to approach this topic, however it was just for us to find out the reasons for both ways of thinking.

As for my DW and myself, we are nearing the point of purchasing a new Grand Design Solitude Fifth Wheel to coninue our recently adopted post retirement lifestyle. With six FT months under our belts it has become clear to us that we'd prefer to have onboard laundry facilities available at "our convenience ". We've also settled on seperate units in lieu of Combo models.

Again, this is just what we feel will work for us. I would encourage all to do their own research and come to your own conclusions.

Safe travels all...

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 07:37 PM   #120

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
I am the OP and after reading all the posts here, it appears that the majority of Full Timers have and like having their own WD on board. This thread WAS NOT to find a right or a wrong way to approach this topic, however it was just for us to find out the reasons for both ways of thinking.

As for my DW and myself, we are nearing the point of purchasing a new Grand Design Solitude Fifth Wheel to coninue our recently adopted post retirement lifestyle. With six FT months under our belts it has become clear to us that we'd prefer to have onboard laundry facilities available at "our convenience ". We've also settled on seperate units in lieu of Combo models.

Again, this is just what we feel will work for us. I would encourage all to do their own research and come to your own conclusions.

Safe travels all...
You probably know this but this is another example of asking what seems to be an innocent and simple question asking for an opinion and it becomes a debate that one is right and one is wrong. It happens in every forum I have ever been a part of (Harleys, boats, woodworking) and I have never figured out why except that people are very passionate about their opinion and feel the need for others to agree. I think you got the general consensus and ultimately will do what is right for your team.

At least you weren't told (and I didn't read every single post) to google it and you would have found the answer without having to post. That's another group, albeit smaller group, that has always amazed me why they join a forum if they don't want to see the same questions asked sometimes and even bother to reply if they are upset.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:53 PM   #121

Congratulations on your upcoming new fiver, I think you will be happy with your w&d decision.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:43 PM   #122

Wish there was a way to get a W/D in a Class C. I don't think a Greyhawk or Entegra would have enough room.............let alone the water connections
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:03 PM   #123

Part timers washer dryer

We bought our 35 ft class A with a stacked washer and dryer and wouldn't have it any other way. My husband travels with only a week's worth of clothes and so laundry needs doing on a weekly basis. We love having it on board. We just make sure we have a sewer hookup when it's time. Nothing like having clean towels and clothes at your our own beck and call.
Barbnlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:00 PM   #124

There is another similar thread on this topic:

Washer dryer yes or no
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:29 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piros1 View Post
Congratulations on your upcoming new fiver, I think you will be happy with your w&d decision.
My wife will be happy with the decision as the WD will be within a few short steps of my easy chair....y'all know what that means!!!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 03:21 PM   #126

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.LEO View Post
Wish there was a way to get a W/D in a Class C. I don't think a Greyhawk or Entegra would have enough room.............let alone the water connections
Many of the super C’s have the option.

Tags
full time, full timer