Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2013, 06:36 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Question Full timers, Class A without slides.

I'm curious to how many of you are fulltimers in a Class A without slides? Would enjoy hearing about your rig as well as pros and cons of having no slides.

Thank thanks,

Rob
GrassShack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
I do like my slides for the extra room but for years there were no slides. One thing for sure you will never have to post anything about slide problems and there are many posts asking for help.
rdkng88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #3

If I could have found the right new F/T rig W/O slides, I would be living in it now!
Slide problems are a plenty in this forum.

This is our 3rd rig, the 1st with slides. 2 of them. They are short. Less weight, less troubles (me thinks, as they are easier work for the pump), and plenty of room to fully function when they are retracted.

Some folks gotta have more space. I tolerate my "confinement" better than most would.

Just sayin....
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:21 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We found a class A DP with a side aisle and no slides. They way it is set up it has more room than alot I have been in with slides. I have more room in my kitchen then lots of apartments I've lived in.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:22 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Wife and I fulltime in an '82 Wanderlodge.
No slides. Gets a little cramped sometimes, but you can always open the door and step outside. Lot's of room out there
<Dennie>
Old 01-31-2013, 01:22 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We started with a 30 ft Class A with no slides and after a year traded it in on a new 35 ft with 2 slides. Would never go back to one without slides.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:31 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Our '95 Endeavor has plenty of room with no slides. We took out the chair and fold-away table then put a small entertainment cabinet in it's place. It really opened it up.

The kitchen has plenty of space when using a table and chairs instead of a booth.

RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:34 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
We started with a 30 ft Class A with no slides and after a year traded it in on a new 35 ft with 2 slides. Would never go back to one without slides.
X-2.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:47 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
We are full timing in a 2000 Holiday Rambler without slides...it is 29' long..we seem to have plenty of room and no real issues..we have been living in since March 2012....
lenkerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:09 PM   #10

After checking out the Winnebago Sightseer with 2 slides,I felt cramped unless the slides were out.Then I checked out the 2006 Thor Hurricane 30Q, no slides, I felt it didn't need them.i know there will be plenty of times when I'll be boondocking or just stopping to hang a few hours,I don't want create a spectacle,or make it appear Im setting up camp.Hopefully the absence of slides will lighten the load to give me better MPG.
Rv artisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:28 AM   #11

Have no slides and not really an issue. However, couldn't image full timing without them. Am only a weekend camper and wished I would have got slides. Newbie error. Next time.
Online_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:18 AM   #12

There's no single answer to the slide issue. We don't have a slide, and don't really want one. However, we have been in friend's RV's with slides and the extra room is nice.

One issue no one has mentioned; quite a few motorhomes I have seen at RV shows seem to really restrict driver seat travel when a street side slide is retracted. Some of the models require the driver to sit straight up and too close to the steering wheel. Were I shopping for a slide, this condition would be a deal breaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassShack View Post
I'm curious to how many of you are fulltimers in a Class A without slides? Would enjoy hearing about your rig as well as pros and cons of having no slides.

Thank thanks,

Rob
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:28 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I've had both from no slides to up to four. Although the room is nice once you crank those slides out, there are a few things that can be a real pain at times with slides. Every coach I've owned with slides, at least one of the slides has leaked in rain storms and the slide covers have been a problem too. Not a problem with the one coach that didn't have slides. Our present coach is a 2006 Monaco Camelot. Although we bought it used in 2010 at a great price this coach's original sticker price was $282,000 when sold new. Point being you'd think a higher end coach would be built with enough integrity that water wouldn't pour in everytime it rained. Plus the slide covers, made from high end Acrylic material would last longer then a couple of years. They have stretched so badly they pool water like a swimming pool plus all the seam threading has come apart. It's cost me $350 to have them removed and resewn. When a rainstorm is pending, we have to pull the slides in to prevent ruining the carpet and underlying plywood flooring. If it rains before I get the slides in I have to get up and wipe out all the water that's accumulated on the slide top before pulling them in because it seeps through the Acrylic material. You can reseal with water proofing, but it only lasts for a month. So if we ever do get another coach I'm going to think very carefully about slides.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #14

Send a message via Yahoo to ShesJustJodi
I'm not in the market for a big rig, but this thread has made me feel better about my decision to go no slides. Thanks, OP!
ShesJustJodi is offline   Reply With Quote