Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2021, 02:14 PM   #15

Just make sure you increase the personal property limits to meet what you'll be carrying in the RV.
SacRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2021, 03:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacRV View Post
Just make sure you increase the personal property limits to meet what you'll be carrying in the RV.
Important, for sure! Full-timers carry all their worldly possessions.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 11:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacRV View Post
Yeah, arcaguy suggested that upthread.

But also, it's important to determine whether the personal property coverage, in addition to the total limit, has a limit per item in the policy language. Any items that are over the limit need to be insured separately, as "valuable personal property" (sometimes known as "scheduled" property) in order to be fully covered. You'll have to provide a receipt or appraisal in order to obtain insurance for scheduled items. Or, I did, anyway.

Otherwise, you might have $50,000 of personal property coverage when your $7,000 bicycle gets stolen, which would seem to cover the bike fully, only to realize there's a $500 per item limit for bicycles buried in the policy language. I can't recall any agent ever alerting me to that when I was specifying the total amount of personal effects coverage I wanted.

And just as a data point, I was with Miller for several years, but after one too many disappointing experiences with them (all for quotes for renewals--I've never filed a claim), I switched agents.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 12:01 AM   #18

I had a full timer policy with Nationwide thru Miller for many years but 3 years ago they doubled their premium. Miller said Nationwide wanted to get out of the RV business! I got a quote from Geico and saved a ton. Miller shopped it but couldn’t come close. Geico has no agents and pass the saving along to the customer. I got the RV, Jeep and Harley with an umbrella.

Watch out for companies/agents who tell you its a full time policy because it is good 365 days a year. What a full time policy is, is a policy that gives you liability coverage while you are parked in case someone is injured inside your rig, on your camp site outside, bit by your dog etc. like a homeowners policy and covers your personal property (contents).
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 04:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
I got a quote from Geico and saved a ton.
Watch out for companies/agents who tell you its a full time policy because it is good 365 days a year.
Indeed. My understanding is that Geico does offers true fulltimer policies in Texas now, but here's my experience from 2017 with them (which I posted about at the time):

Quote:
I just spent an hour on the phone getting a quote for fulltimer's insurance from Geico. When the agent first answered the phone and I said I wanted fulltimer RV insurance, he said I'd come to the right place, that they specialize in fulltimer coverage. Great!

After I gave him all my information (including my mailing and garaging addresses in Texas) and he gave me the quote, he tried to get me to sign up and pay for the policy right then, but I asked him to send me a quote instead, and specified that I wanted it broken down into the various elements instead of just a total amount.

He did so, and in examining it carefully, I noticed there wasn't a premium for fulltimer coverage, so I called back. I said I had a question about my fulltime RV policy quote, and the agent said he could certainly help me with that because Geico specializes in fulltimer policies, and they are one of only a few companies that do.

So I asked him about the missing fulltimer liability coverage premium from my fulltimer coverage quote, and he said it wasn't available in Texas. I said, "What?" He said Geico doesn't offer the liability portion that I was referring to. I said, "Then how is this a fulltimer policy?" He said it's written for using the RV 365 days a year and covers my personal effects, so it's a fulltimer policy.

I replied that the liability portion is an integral part of fulltimer coverage, and he said Texas is the one state where Geico doesn't offer it. So I said it's not a fulltimer policy if it doesn't provide the liability coverage that other people get via a homeowner's policy. He repeated that it is a fulltimer policy because it provides coverage for 365 days a year and covers personal effects.

I asked if there was some other type of coverage that would substitute for the liability portion that a homeowner's policy would provide, and he put me on hold for a minute, and came back and said no, there's nothing they offer that will be the equivalent of the liability portion of a homeowner's policy. Now would I like to pay for my premium in full or in installments?

I'm not often speechless, but that one got me.

So...WARNING! GEICO DOES NOT OFFER REAL FULLTIMER'S COVERAGE IN TEXAS.

And worse, they will happily let you pay for a policy without telling you that, and the ONLY way you'll know it is if you (1) get an itemization, and (2) scrutinize it enough to notice that there's not a premium listed for fulltimer's coverage and call and ask about it.

They should be ashamed of themselves. They knew my mailing address is in Texas, and my garaging address is in Texas, and even when I told them the policy didn't include essential coverage for a fulltimer, the agent still tried to get me to pay for it.
This is why I always get each quote broken down into the individual elements, and enter each element on a spreadsheet. That way I can see why two quotes might differ, but more importantly, it alerts me if there's something missing.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 04:34 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
And some people still wonder how Warren Buffett amassed his fortune!!!
Old 04-25-2021, 12:51 PM   #21

Just had Progressive up my rate 21% (no claims or changes and with Covid not even putting in the travel I used to as a FT). AND, oh yeah they sent out a blurb that the Replacement policy they just changed. They cleary admit this is a reduction in the coverage from what I bought. AND on top of that, I had actually contacted them about the status of the replacement coverage (it always had a time limit) but they did not tell me that their total replacement policy had changed. Spoiler alert - it really isn't total replacement anymore. So, less coverage, lots and lots of more money and not being forthcoming with the information.

Off to find a different company again. If all there is is 3rd rate coverage, I don't care to pay first rate prices. I am aware that other companies have always called soemthing total replacement that when you nail them down, you find out it really isn't. But before now Progressive was real.
Old 04-26-2021, 05:37 PM   #22

Slightly off topic but may be of interest.

We’re about to install a $15k solar system and batteries. I called Foremost today to raise what I thought would be the personal property limits for the solar system and was told it would actually be added to the value of the trailer since it’s a modification. They asked for the bill or sale and the final invoice for the solar system and underwriting would provide a premium for the new valuation.
SacRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time, full timer, insurance