Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2015, 08:56 AM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
Full Timing and A Legal Address

I have read through the great info about full timing, domicile choices, and the various services, such as Escapee's. I currently live in Texas, and have been a TX resident for many years. We will be selling our house, and moving to another city in TX, but full timing in the RV. So I need an address.....what I don't understand fully, is what makes having an address with a service, such as escapee's a "legal" address, vice getting a mailbox at the UPS Store? Aside from the services escapee's provides, is there any difference? I know how and where to go in TX for DL's, registrations and such, and we will be basing out of TX as we full time.

Thanks for the help!
Cheers, Tom
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2015, 10:23 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tytlfamily View Post
I have read through the great info about full timing, domicile choices, and the various services, such as Escapee's. I currently live in Texas, and have been a TX resident for many years. We will be selling our house, and moving to another city in TX, but full timing in the RV. So I need an address.....what I don't understand fully, is what makes having an address with a service, such as escapee's a "legal" address, vice getting a mailbox at the UPS Store? Aside from the services escapee's provides, is there any difference? I know how and where to go in TX for DL's, registrations and such, and we will be basing out of TX as we full time.

Thanks for the help!
Cheers, Tom
Welcome to the world of full-timing, Tom.

First, each state is different. TX requires a special license for some class A's as I understand it, requires inspections and a place to park your wheels (I think). SD requires an overnight stay at a campground with the receipt as proof of residency or an address with proof you have stayed there. A mail forwarding service is for your conveyance. I think in either state if you had a friend or family member collect and send your mail to you it would be OK. I know many folks on the road and use TX. They seem to have no problems. You mentioned Escapee's. I am certain if you contact them they can give you some good ideas. Good Sam is another good source of information.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 08-26-2015, 10:44 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Tom,

You certainly don't have to use Escapees. Are you saying that you will be just staying in an RV park in some place in Texas for an extended period of time? If so, check with the owners, but I'm willing to be that that address will be good for DL, registration, voting, etc. The reason so many go with Escapees is that they are going to use the wheels beneath their rig to MOVE about the country and thus need to have mail forwarded to them on a regular basis. While the UPS might do that, does the country that you are going to be using view the UPS store as a valid address for voting? The costs will be about the same if you are having mail forwarded to you while you are traveling, but it is sure nice to be able to pick up the phone when you get a jury summons and the clerk at the court says "oh, you're an Escapee, just give us a call the next time your in town and we will see if we need any extra jurors.", I get an email when my vehicle registration has arrived in the mail at Livingston so I know when to have mail shipped, and a myriad of different little things that make roaming the country so easy.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
First, each state is different. TX requires a special license for some class A's as I understand it, requires inspections and a place to park your wheels (I think).

Texas requires an inspection ONLY if you are actually in Texas. Texas does not require you to 'park your wheels' in Texas. There are many folks with the Escapees address who never return to Texas, therefore, no inspection required.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:06 PM   #5

"" .....what I don't understand fully, is what makes having an address with a service, such as escapee's a "legal" address, vice getting a mailbox at the UPS Store? ""

What makes it legal is the fact that the State agencies will accept it as your official "home" address. Like many state controlled issues, this varies slightly from state to state. One of the reasons that Tx, SD and FL are very popular domiciles for Fulltimers is that these states accept a mail forwarding address as your official home address. Many other states specifically require a verified "physical street address" to get a drivers license, etc. Many states specifically prohibit use of a PO Box as your official address. However, even though the state may accept your mail forwarding address as your official address, you may still run into issues with insurance companies, banks, investment firms, etc, who all make up their own rules on what addresses are acceptable. Some of them will point out that the Federal Patriot Act includes a requirement that every financial institution regulated by the Feds must implement a CIP (customer identification program) to verify the physical street address of all "new" customers. What they sometimes overlook, is that this same law includes an approved exception, allowing those without a physical street address, to supply the street address of a close friend or relative for CIP verification.
Also be aware that the US Postal database, available to every company and individual who wants it, will clearly identify every mail forwarding address as a commercial mail forwarding center.
Jim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:00 PM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Ok, I thank you all for the good advice, yes I will be mostly staying full-time in RV parks in Dallas area probably switching around every few months. My job will be in the Dallas area but we will be traveling several days during the month on small vacation RV trips, and probably 4 to 5 multi week trips spaced out during the year. So since I'll be in Dallas for my job I thought it more convenient to have a Dallas address, if possible. we also have a family member that lives in that area but she only rents a house so using that address as mine I'm not sure how well that would work out.
Yes, I will all Escapees then......it seems like a logical option!

Thanks and cheers,
Tom
Old 08-26-2015, 08:35 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Added plus, registering in Polk County means you aren't required to do emissions inspections in the Dallas area if you have gas engines on cars - you can run up to Greenville and have the simpler inspection done.

Barb
Blog
Old 08-27-2015, 02:02 PM   #8

also, for insurance on your 'home' you will need a physical address, unless you've already purchased the insurance at your 'old' address. Of course, as we do, you could always keep using your 'old' address when required. I've never seen an Insurer check whether you actually live there or not.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
also, for insurance on your 'home' you will need a physical address, ....
The OP's new home will be the RV. You don't need a physical address for it. You can use the mail forwarding address, especially if it's Escapees or another popular one for full-time RVers.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Of course, as we do, you could always keep using your 'old' address when required. .
dude... you sure about that?... sound like FWB... dunno
Taterpeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:17 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
also, for insurance on your 'home' you will need a physical address, unless you've already purchased the insurance at your 'old' address. Of course, as we do, you could always keep using your 'old' address when required. I've never seen an Insurer check whether you actually live there or not.
Happy camping includes doing thing correctly. Your suggestion here does not quite fit "correctly". Your RV insurance is based upon your mailing address.

For a good mail forwarding service I recommend Your Best Address: Rates | Box Rental | Mail Forwarding | Monthly Cost | Full Service

The pricing is very good and the service is outstanding.
And for insurance I recommend:Shelby Miller, CISR North Central Insurance Center, Inc. 3700 S Western Ave PO Box 88840 Sioux Falls, SD 57109-8840 P 605.339.4000 I C 605.212.1074 I F 605.335.6376 Toll Free 800.456.2796 shelby@northcentralins.com www.northcentralins.com https://www.facebook.com/NCInsuranceSF

Shelby did a good job a getting me a good insurance I can afford.

Happy trails,

Rick Y
Old 08-28-2015, 06:23 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Insurers figure rates based upon where the vehicle is 'garaged'. And those who write fulltimers insurance know that most of the time the vehicles will be somewhere else, but use the mailing address that is used for registering the vehicles as the garaging location.

Barb
Blog
Old 09-03-2015, 04:54 PM   #13

We have had a UPS store mailbox in Dallas for years even though we had a house downtown (long story why). We liked the service but now that we are full time the Escapees forwarding works better for us and I believe the overall costs are cheaper on an annual basis. I also believe, but you need to check, that there have been court cases that the physical address of the Escapee park was proven to be a legal physical address. Maybe Barbaraoak can confirm that?

2007 Monaco Executive 45' 525 ISX
Old 09-03-2015, 09:38 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Not only was there a Texas Superior Court verdict for Escapees, but they then lobbied, and got, the address recognized as a legal physical address through the legislature. They really do a lot of lobbying for RVers in Texas and know how to do things to help RVers.

Barb
Blog