Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2019, 03:21 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Talking Full timing and Christmas/New Years

By Dec 1 my DW and I will be heading to TX to establish residency. We will be using the escapees program to do so and since this will be our first official holidays from family, looking for recommendations for a warm area to enjoy Christmas and new years. Places that we have considered are usually cold or possibly covered in snow this time of year thus will not work as we are wanting warmer weather. Any recommendations is welcomed as well as opinions.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2019, 03:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetter20 View Post
By Dec 1 my DW and I will be heading to TX to establish residency. We will be using the escapees program to do so and since this will be our first official holidays from family, looking for recommendations for a warm area to enjoy Christmas and new years. Places that we have considered are usually cold or possibly covered in snow this time of year thus will not work as we are wanting warmer weather. Any recommendations is welcomed as well as opinions.
Even as far south a San Antonio, we have freezing weather and a couple inch snow two years ago. Your best bets for good weather are along the coast from Freeport south. Most of the big RV resorts are around McAllen in the RGV. Personal personal favorite is Isla Blanca a Cameron County RV park (a little more than 600 spots but usually full in the winter).
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 04:12 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Look at the Coastal Bend Area (Corpus Christie, Rockport- Fulton, Aranasas Pass, Mustang Island, North Padre Island) lots to do, and all types of parks are there.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 04:54 PM   #4

Move over to Summerdale, Alabama and stay at their park after establishing residency. It will give you a chance to meet some others in the same boat as you. There will be a big dinner and other activities so you're not sitting in your RV alone.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 05:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Move over to Summerdale, Alabama and stay at their park after establishing residency. It will give you a chance to meet some others in the same boat as you. There will be a big dinner and other activities so you're not sitting in your RV alone.

Which park in Summerdale?
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funengineer View Post
Which park in Summerdale?
Rainbow Plantation. . . not far from Gulf Shores State Park at the beach. Fresh huge red shrimp off the boats. Lots to do in the area.

We've stayed at both.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:11 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
That is kind of what I was thinking of, being around others in the same boat while being near activities to help tide the holidays over more smoothly for my wife and I. Oh, I should mention that we are escaping NY cold weather so anything in the southern states will be considered warmer for us.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:22 AM   #8

I was about to ask what you consider "warm" to be. I'm pretty sure anything from Southern California to Florida will meet your requirements. Louisiana has some devilishly good food down in Cajun country, but it's painfully humid so it feels colder than it is. 40 degrees isn't bad in New York, but that's pretty cold in Louisiana. Southern California and Southern Florida have wonderful winter weather, though the food is not as good. Central and west Texas is okay if you like desert life. I'm nto a fan of Texas because it's on the wrong side of the Sabine. Just look at any map. Louisiana is on the right side, so Texas must be on the wrong side. Arizona and Nevada are also popular, but deserts. Nights can get pretty darn cold there. I have no experience with Mississippi or Alabama, so I can't even comment there. Florida is nice, but this late in the year, it's probably already full of Snowbirds. You might have a hard time finding a place to park.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 02:57 AM   #9

Buy a Thousand Trails Zone pass and get 2 zones (SE and SW). Then add the Trails collection. This will give you access to a huge # of age restricted parks in FL, TX, and AZ that you can stay in for 14 days at a time to find out what you like. (There are many good ones). You can try this on for size for a year for about $800.

X2 Rainbow Plantation - we love it here.

Victoria Palms in RGV and Mesa Spirit in Mesa and Golden Sun in AJ are 3 to check out.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:43 PM   #10

Well, con-graduations on your adventure, we have another year or so before we get starting. Not to get off of topic but why/how did you decide on Texas say vs Florida to take up residency? I thought that Florida had more added benefits?
Anyway, enjoy your journey and best of luck!
springer0125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 06:43 PM   #11

If you want warm weather for Jan, go as South to mid Fl or the RGV of Texas. Anywhere along I-10 can get icy during Jan for a storm or 2.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:30 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
We decided on TX since it is a warmer state. Used to reside in FL years ago and the wife is not a fan of FL other than the Gators (since I am a fan).
Old 11-19-2019, 11:28 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
If you want warm weather for Jan, go as South to mid Fl or the RGV of Texas. Anywhere along I-10 can get icy during Jan for a storm or 2.
Or Arizona/S Cal deserts
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 05:41 PM   #14

Rio Grand Valley is geared to Winter Texans. Lots of activities for 55+ crowd and lots of parks. We are in Edinburg, Tx and the temp is 79 to 82. Beautiful sunny weather!
Jermes80 is offline   Reply With Quote