Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2021, 09:20 PM   #1

Full-timing in the Cold

I have my spot picked out for my lower New England full time location and am interested in what I don't know. For cold weather operations, other than a heated hose, what other gear should I plan on sourcing to full time in the winter?

My holding tank will be empty and drained.

I'll keep the heat going all the time even if it's set to the low 60s.
I'll keep the basement warmer than freezing.
I have a shovel.

What else am I missing?

Thanks in advance!
OversizeVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2021, 09:25 PM   #2

What are you planning on for going potty?

How much propane capacity do you have?

What RV will you be living in?
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 09:35 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Work off of your fresh water tank and don't bother with a heated hose. Don't keep your sewer hose out, only use it to dump the tanks and then stow. If it starts snowing, bring your slides in. If it is raining and expected to freeze, bring your slides in. If you can, put a 40 watt light bulb in your compartment where the water pump is located.
Old 08-30-2021, 09:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
What are you planning on for going potty?

How much propane capacity do you have?

What RV will you be living in?
In the coach.

No propane. All electric.
Newmar Dutch Star.
Old 08-30-2021, 09:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Work off of your fresh water tank and don't bother with a heated hose. Don't keep your sewer hose out, only use it to dump the tanks and then stow. If it starts snowing, bring your slides in. If it is raining and expected to freeze, bring your slides in. If you can, put a 40 watt light bulb in your compartment where the water pump is located.

Thank you.
Old 09-25-2021, 01:29 PM   #6

Skirting around the RV. Do not use hay bales as others have suggested in the past. Critters love to make them a home. You can place a 100w bulb under the trailer to help with the freezing once it is skirted.

Dehumidifier, a big one. You will not be opening windows so the humidity has to go somewhere..
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 08:35 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
As suggested, do not depend on heated hoses. You also have to worry about the spigot freezing unless it is heat traced. Next, sewer lines will freeze.

Best to use the hose to fill the fresh water tank and operate from the tank. Roll up the hose and put it in the basement. Next, only get the sewer hose out to drain the tanks and store the hoses in the basement in a Rubbermaid tub.

Finally, you have to worry about slide and snow on the roof or slide out awnings. Also, a skirt to cover the underside and bottoms of the slides.

Personally, I will not live in cold and snow in an RV.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 11:13 PM   #8

Your Profile states you're in Florida and have a 43' motorhome..... Why are you staying all winter in New England?

Winterize the whole motorhome and haul in water for drinking. I hope you have bathroom facilities nearby.

Cooking will create moisture. Crack your ceiling fan and a couple windows.

Don't open your slides.

Put insulation on your windows.... especially the windshield.

You might even want to seal off the front of the motorhome with a heavy curtain to keep the rest of the RV warmer.

Get an electric blanket.

Keep your closet door slightly open to get air in there or the walls will start molding.

Pull your mattress away from the wall a few inches after you get up in the morning otherwise the moisture from your sleeping and from the outside wall will start molding.

You'll, most likely, have condensation on your windows in the morning when they unfreeze. Wipe the windows down to keep the dripping moisture from entering your window tracks or mold will grow.

Why?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:54 AM   #9

Are your holding tanks heated? If they are not then depending on how cold it will get you may have issues with your gray and black gate valves freezing up. Of course if this happens you will not be dumping those effected tanks until it warms up a little. Then, if you can't dump holding tanks you will find within a week or 10 days there will be no more showering, washing dishes, or using your toilet.

You may not know how your gate valves will perform until the temps actually get down in the 20's and stay there a couple days.

One way to help your gate valves work in extremely cold temps is to add some RV antifreeze. For example, after a short shower pour a gallon of RV antifreeze down the drain to mix with the gray water. Same with the toilet, maybe after several flushes pour a gallon of RV antifreeze down the there to help the black tank water.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 05:48 AM   #10

I'm in the northeast for the winter season. Yes, holding tanks are heated.
Thank you for the suggestions!
Old 09-27-2021, 10:17 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Full-timing in the Cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OversizeVan View Post
I'm in the northeast for the winter season……..
Van….. I will assume you have a good reason for planning a New England RV winter.
I was born and raised in Boston and, with the exception of a few years of tropical travel with my favorite Uncle, lived there for the better part of 60 years. When we finally left 13 years ago it was for one reason: the winters.
I wish you luck with your plan. It can be done, people do it, but it can be uncomfortable, hard work. New England is a beautiful area, and we enjoy visiting family there in our Dutch Star, in which we’ve lived for 9 years. If I had to winter there again it would be in a building. It’s that simple.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 10:12 PM   #12

The first year we had our all electric Newmar we traveled in the winter.

One tip I learned is the Oasis furnace is fantastic. The problem is it runs almost non stop when it is very cold and that drains the diesel. Normally the Oasis uses very little fuel but under those conditions it uses fuel at a faster rate.

I had to borrow several gas cans and go to the gas station in the toad. Lifting those heavy jugs to fill the coach tank is no fun in freezing weather.

Never again.
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 11:04 PM   #13

I feel for ya.

Watch this.

I did Western Illinois fulltime till late December a few years ago. It gets interesting when the temps get in the single digits and 5+ inches of snow.

Slide toppers don't like it much.

I made a short heated water line with heat tape that worked great. Don't leave grey tanks open. Empty when full.

Good luck!
Freebird2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 02:42 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
OV..... We have wintered over two times in Northern NV in a Jamboree class C. Not much insulation in the belly. I picked up three cheap $10 little heaters at walley world for the utility bay and a three plug dongle to plug into the 20 amp on the post. Worked great with no issues, every thing stayed thawed. I also picked up a couple thermostat plugs at the local ACE so the heaters would shut off if the bays did get warm (like I mentioned cheap heaters). The temps would be in the low teens at night and 30's during the day. I all so got some thinsulate covers, one for the water filter and I put one over the water spigot where the electric hose connects. We will be doing it again till the end of Jan with our new to us class A this year. Our new Bounder has a lot of upgrades and more insulation than the class C for sure. It's a challenge but for what ever reason one I don't seem to mind..

Tags
full-timing, timing