Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2021, 05:55 AM   #29

Thanks all for the (mostly) helpful insights. November is coming to a close and life is great. Had our first dusting of snow yesterday which has since melted and a late fall sun has blanketed the area with warmth. To answer some indirect questions:

Yes, it is an all electric coach. It wasn't a selling point or deciding factor for me as I was looking at Newmar and Tiffin lines but it's what I got. In the TT I was full timing in prior, propane was a pain in the neck for me so maybe it's a hidden bonus.

My monthly electric bill runs about IDGAF dollars per month. If I was worried about saving what equates to a rounding error of dollars per month of a coach like this, I would live in an apartment.

The Oasis setup works great. After having a lesser setup in the TT, anything else would be a big step backwards for me.

I've been running the heat pumps overnight, sometimes only one or two, when the temps are forecast to stay above freezing and that keeps the coach warm but once it drops below freezing, even just one furnace is enough to keep the interior warm around 65. That's warm to me. Maybe it's just my age but having an interior temperature set to 70 or 75 just sucks the life out of me.

The water spigot is traced and I do use a heated hose. I do not leave the sewer pipe connected and just connect/disconnect it about once a week to dump (just me).

I ran the heated floors for the first time since purchasing and they're a nice touch. I don't know how much they add to the warmth of the overall interior and I normally walk around in slippers but it's a nice touch.

So far, zero regrets about the coach or the location.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2021, 11:24 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by OversizeVan View Post
My monthly electric bill runs about IDGAF dollars per month. If I was worried about saving what equates to a rounding error of dollars per month of a coach like this, I would live in an apartment.
If the electric bill is not a concern, it's no problem living in a motorhome in really cold weather. As much as possible, I treat my coach as all-electric even though it has propane, because I hate to get propane and I don't have to pay for electricity.

I'm outside Chicago right now, and we've been getting nights in the 20s and some teens, and some days with highs in the 30s. Unfortunately, we're in complete shade, so we get no benefit from the sun, which can be significant in the winter.

We just upgraded the electricity from using a cheater box plugged into two separate 20-amp outlets to actual 50 amp service, and it's like living in the lap of luxury. Since the upgrade, I haven't had to run the propane furnace at all because electric space heaters are enough.

In previous winters in Denver, when I had the same two-20-amp-outlets setup, I did have to run the furnace because two space heaters wasn't enough when it got down to below zero at night. But I had 50-amp service there last winter, and used almost no propane.

I have to be aware of the outlets they're plugged in to, to distribute the loads, but it's definitely doable, especially if the cost of electricity isn't a concern. I would love to have heated floors, but I've suffered from listening to and smelling other people's hydronic heating systems too many times to have one myself.

Since I rarely use the furnace, I keep a little heater running in the basement compartment and a light bulb in the compartment with the dump valves when it's really cold, and that keeps those areas above freezing, according to my remote thermometers.

None of this is as easy as being in 70-degree weather, but it's far from impossible, or even an insane idea.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 03:42 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
None of this is as easy as being in 70-degree weather, but it's far from impossible, or even an insane idea.

Don't tell that to some of the folks on here!
Old 01-08-2022, 10:20 PM   #32

How is that all electric working out @22 degrees?

Free electric working out great in Georgia, 77 degrees here.

My door is open, all night long.
Old 01-10-2022, 04:40 AM   #33

Greetings and a belated Happy New Year,

It's been great! The interior stays hovering around 67-69 throughout the night and the furnaces shut off in the daytime. The temperatures up here have been fairly mild so far and we've really only gotten one snowfall measuring about 3-4". Tomorrow and Wednesday will be the coldest days I've seen in a while with temperatures dropping into the high single digits lows. Overall, I cannot be more pleased. No space heater, no heated blankets.

I did fill up a handful of my propane tanks as a 'just in case' backup but never bought a heater to power them with so I guess it turned into a 'just in..' plan. $4.89/gal for propane here. Electric rates in CT are just as stupid so our expenses are not an apples for apples comparison. I would do some dirty deeds for some free electric!

Talked to the neighbor who has an identical coach, paint scheme, interior colors, and all, and our numbers have been really close. They don't use any heating other than the standard-equipped stuff.

My Camco heated hose decided to blow the podium CB and it turned out to be faulty. I ordered a NoFreeze water hose but got a Camco replacement for the interim. I should probably have a backup anyway.

January is already 1/3 in the bag and I'm looking forward to some skiing!

But 2021 closed out on a high note and looking forward to 2022.

Thanks for checking in! I'm still alive and warm.
Old 01-10-2022, 04:48 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Don't tell that to some of the folks on here!
The big thing here is having a coach that can work in the cld, sounds like these are made to take the weather...

Most on this forum do not have the rig made for below a 30 degree nite...
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 10:47 AM   #35

Quote:
Electric rates in CT are just as stupid
Oh my. I didn't realize you were in Connecticut. I've periodically looked at comparisons of electricity costs for the 50 states, and Connecticut is up in California territory. My condolences.

But glad to hear it's working out for you. Thanks for updating us.
Old 01-10-2022, 08:16 PM   #36

Being in Pennsylvania at this time @22 degree day high then to 15 degrees night we would be blowing through a 50 lb bottle every 4 days. That would blow past $300 a month just in propane.

Now down in Florida and, paying by the week for site but free electric, switched everything over to electric. Water heater heald up to shower and laundry & oil filled space heater.

Having heated a Central Boiler 400 gallon wood boiler with 12 cord of wood a year to 400 degrees. It takes a boat load less energy to let the earth heat the water to 55 degrees first before heating it to 180 degrees for showers.
Than taking dead stop water @ 35 degrees and heating that.

Let it drip.

Not running roof tops heat as they are so loud, and no one else is running them.

Almost all electric, beating on the rent dead silent by the week.

Little cold tip, crack the heated hose connection in the wet bay to a fast drip. It bleeds down the hose and out of the rig, stops freezing and warms water going into hot water heater lowering hot water costs at the expense of some water dripped out.
Old 01-11-2022, 04:27 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by trx430ex View Post
Being in Pennsylvania at this time @22 degree day high then to 15 degrees night

Having heated a Central Boiler 400 gallon wood boiler with 12 cord of wood a year to 400 degrees. It takes a boat load less energy to let the earth heat the water to 55 degrees first before heating it to 180 degrees for showers.
Than taking dead stop water @ 35 degrees and heating that.
remember those days.. I have a place , I stay in now, was summer gig, now ..home.. 20 miles from NY boarder..

I only use wood for garage, I have lots of it but,, 900sqft 9ft ceiling get 75-80 easy on a few cords of easy cut stuff.. LOL

House is propane Fireplace, open concept 1600sgft , small but works well, me wife 3 husky.. son is on his own.. I use 300-400 gallon max a year, that is heat and stove.. $600-$800 , i get good price fill up once a year cash..
I cant cut wood for that..

You mention ground water 53 degrees.. in hind site as they say,, I wish I punched some holes... I had a drill rug for my well 700ft urg.. I am on a rock shelf.. but... The drill was a friend/customer and had rig close by... if I only used my head 20 years ago..
My neighbor is 1/2mile away in valley. all the dirt is down there, he trenched 6 loops and brought them to house.. cost it now maybe 30-40 a month to keep a 2400sqft home and 700sq garage at 70 degrees 24/7 365 and that is with hot water..

I have a temperance tank in crawl space for pre warm the water.. that helps hot water cost a tad..

sorry for off topic
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 07:51 PM   #38

Not off topic at all, I had a temperance tank 80 gallon to bring well water up to room temperature with the 400 gallon Central boiler.
Before heating it again up to 180 degrees.

Was very efficient, but rotted out 3 tanks due to very lame galvanized tanks from Canada.

Electro-galvinized corrosion was the source. In high volume water heating, 100’s of gallons a day.

House, loft, and pool 24/7/365.
Old 01-16-2022, 06:47 PM   #39

Fuel burning stats for the week "all electric" in Florida
Average 60 degrees week

250 kilowatt
Hot water electric
1 space heat @ 1500 watt
5 loads of wash
2 showers every other day
0 Propane used
0 fuel used.
Say about 300 gallons of water used.

Granted it is 60 degrees out.

What is your fuel use & electric?
Old 01-18-2022, 02:27 PM   #40

I'm not sure what your point is, but I have a couple of observations:

Quote:
Fuel burning stats for the week "all electric" in Florida
Average 60 degrees week

250 kilowatt
Do you mean 250 kilowatt hours for the week? If so, that's 35 kwh/day, and that's a LOT. In my 40-foot motorhome, I average 15 kwh/day if I'm not using the air conditioner or basement heat pump. And I have a Norcold refrigerator, which uses a lot of electricity; if I had a residential refrigerator, the total would be less than 10 kwh/day.

I get in the 30+ kwh/day range only if I'm running my basement air a good amount, and since you're chasing weather, I assume your climate control use is minimal.

I've heard of people inexplicably using a lot of electricity, and it turned out their engine heater was on. Other than that, any clue why you're using so much? If you were paying 15 cents/kwh (approximate nationwide average), your electric bill would be over $150/month.

Quote:
Say about 300 gallons of water used.
That also seems like a lot. I always run off the fresh water tank instead of hooking up to city water, so I know how much water I use, and 100 gallons will typically last the two of us a week or more, depending on whether I do any laundry. I can't imagine using 300 gallons in a week, especially showering only every other day.

Even if you're doing 5 loads of wash a week (which again, seems like a lot, in a big machine like yours), assuming 15 gallons per load, that's still only 65 gallons, which leaves almost 250 gallons for non-washer use.
Old 01-20-2022, 09:28 PM   #41

Well the OP, was tasking the "all electric" concept and I wanted to see how far it could go. At what cost, the site was $250 for the week (free electric) so I took the pedestal to the woodshed.

With a meter I could study.

2 20 minute showers on electric hot water while baked potatoes' in the Brevil. with the door open @ 50 degrees with electric heat on.

Was going for 400 KW in a week but could not get there,, RF 18 Samsung fridge and 5 loads of wash in the LG 4.5 turned out to be the most efficient.
Hot water @ 30 amps, dam that spins a meter once every 3 seconds.

Was hogging at the trough in all electric.

Not 1 pound of fuel burned.

2006 Bounder to brand new Newmar, yea I can do what you do too, in all electric.
Old 01-21-2022, 12:47 PM   #42

Quote:
2 20 minute showers on electric hot water while baked potatoes' in the Brevil. with the door open @ 50 degrees with electric heat on.
Is your electric heater running a LOT? I just can't figure out how, mathematically, the loads you're citing can add up to 35 kwh/day in temperate weather (i.e., the heater not running 24/7).

Quote:
2006 Bounder to brand new Newmar, yea I can do what you do too, in all electric.
I don't recall that anybody said you couldn't. You said the OP couldn't, and at least the last we heard, he was doing okay. While in similar conditions to the OP's, you said you'd be burning through propane like crazy, so it doesn't sound like you can do what the OP is doing after all.

Tags
full-timing, timing