Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2020, 05:39 PM   #1

Exclamation Full Timing in Toy Hauler as a Cop

Hello all,

I'm looking for advice, pros/cons, and input on living full time in a RV resort in a toy hauler. The following models are what my girlfriend and I are looking at: Cyclone 4214, GD Momentum 395m, Dutchman Voltage 4195, and a Jayco Seismic 4113. Luxe is catching my eye but those are pricey bois.

I was hired on last July to my local Sheriff's Office in Washington State. I am also in the Army so I have a whole bunch of gear to store.

Another deputy who was hired with me is paying $2,300 a month for rent for an average house with no family. I am not in a position to buy a house but also do not want to be paying someone else's mortgage. My girlfriend and I have decided to go full time in one of the above-mentioned models.

We plan on living in it for 3-4 years and do not plan on taking the 5'er camping often until we get a house. I have been full time in a 2000 34' Southwind Storm for about 4 months now and am so ready to upgrade. I am in a very nice park and not concerned about having a patrol car outside if anyone was curious.

WHY WE WANT A TOY HAULER: Because I am a police officer and will likely be working graveyards for the foreseeable future, toy-haulers look like the best option because of the isolated rear garage. We plan on replacing one side of the folding couches with a desk. The toy hauler design, I imagine, is also superior for our specific circumstance because I can take off my dirty/bloody/druggy clothes and boots in the garage and keep my police and Army wardrobe back there without contaminating the living area. We are both 23 years old and have a German shepherd living with us. We love the idea of being able to lay down the back ramp as a patio and watching a Mariner's (I know they suck) or Seahawks game on the occasional sunny day.

The jury is out on whether we will keep the TH after buying a house in a few years but I know I want gas toys to play with in the future, plus I already ride motorcycles.

The models we are looking at have several important features to us, including a "separated" kitchen and living area (I do not like the standard fifth wheel layout), a pantry, somewhere to store all of my police and military gear, and a patio of sorts to enjoy the summertime on. An absolute NO GO for a model is a TV that is perpendicular to the couch! Heck no I'm watching that thing straight on, get outta here with that!! The only other requirement is that we stay below $1700 a month for our RV/Truck payment, otherwise we could just be in a rental house and not sacrificing space. It's an adventure we want to take.

QUESTIONS FOR YOU: I am curious about your experiences living full time in a Toy Hauler fifth wheel, or just a fifth wheel in general. The good, the bad, and the ugly. Do you have any experiences with any of the above mentioned models or similar styles? Are we missing any models with front/separated living areas (yes I know there are other models, I've done my HW). How are these companies customer service and warranties?

Maybe someone out the is or was a cop and is living full time in an RV and can educate me on my concerns of getting dirty people juice all in my house.

Maybe I am overthinking the importance of a toy hauler?

Thank you for your input, I hope to get as many replies as possible.
UhOhFiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2020, 06:52 PM   #2

I sold my house and moved into a 5th wheel, no toy hauler, last August. I generally have stayed in two campgrounds for seven months and then boondocked for one month in the desert. I traveled from Ohio to Arizona and then back. I'm solo and 57 years old with a German Shepherd. I haven't had any problems. I wish I had a toy hauler or I wouldn't mind trying a super C toy hauler to haul a side by side and tow a Jeep. I'm a firm believer in having quality items so I have a DRV Mobile Suite Estate 5th wheel.

I suggest buying used about five years old.
RVGlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 07:51 PM   #3

From the rent prices you are discussing I will assume you are on the west side of the state.

If you are the east side, or any are where it gets cold, sub freezing you could end up with a hefty heating bill.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:50 PM   #4

We have a 2016 Cyclone 4200 that we are selling. We're moving to Florida in November. Its a great rig!!
tree14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:13 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We live full time in our 45' motorhome at the Escapees Co-Op in AZ. One of our neighbors last year was a full time AZ state trooper. He and his spouse were living in a 5th wheel and he was quite comfortable.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 08:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGlen View Post
I suggest buying used about five years old.
this.

it looks like from your post you're only looking at new. If you like making payments...
d.mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 08:17 PM   #7

We are impartial to payments, but if we can find a lightly used model that we like we would pull the trigger for sure. only have around 11.000 saved up for a down payment right now so payments are going to have to happen.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_rep View Post
We live full time in our 45' motorhome at the Escapees Co-Op in AZ. One of our neighbors last year was a full time AZ state trooper. He and his spouse were living in a 5th wheel and he was quite comfortable.
Well that's a relief to hear. Troopers stay remarkably cleaner than county deputies though, was he just in a regular 5'er?
Old 05-03-2020, 08:25 PM   #9

Any form of RV - 5th wheel, Class C, Class A... Let someone else take the depreciation hit. Find what you want in a unit that is older, and you will STILL have the same issues or desires for upgrading, but you won't be making payments on top to take away your financial room to make those changes.

Heating with a diesel heater is MUCH more efficient than with LP. Both cost and quality of heat. Surprisingly, those little chinesium diesel heaters (8k BTU) put out a decent amount of heat and will keep a 40' diesel pusher comfortable against a 30 degree exterior without running full out all the time. That is going to be one of those upgrades you are going to have to do yourself, but is worth it.

Don't get something with a rubber roof. Aluminum, fiberglass, something SOLID and permanent will pay you dividends by not leaking or needing replacement. Around the seams and body joints - Eternabond and silicone sealer are your friends. This goes for new construction too, they ALL have the same problems. A 5th wheel is assembled in a factory... Know how long from empty frame to rolling out the door? It can be as little as 5 hours. There's not a lot of time there to use proper sealants. Most of the manufacturers use either foam tape (dries out) or latex caulk (dries out) and the seams are not sealed after the warranty runs out, IF they ever were. Water is the enemy. Poke at the walls in ANYTHING you are looking at - above and below the windows and doors. At the four corners of the unit up at the top. On the floor below the windows. Anything that feels spongy is water damage.

If they haven't leaked, then that's a good unit. The most expensive units new, usually are still built of quality materials when they are 5-8 years old and WAY cheaper. Save your money, don't give it to a bank. Depreciation is someone else's problem.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcid View Post
From the rent prices you are discussing I will assume you are on the west side of the state.

If you are the east side, or any are where it gets cold, sub freezing you could end up with a hefty heating bill.
Indeed, west side... I understand RV's are less efficient than houses and that extra power bill is just a fact of life. Where we're at our total bill after utilities is only about $700 a month.
Old 05-03-2020, 10:15 PM   #11

We have only ever had toy haulers and one thing we do when we go long distances is put a chest freezer in the garage area. It will stay frozen all day while you drive and of course gets plugged in with shore power at camp. We love having the extra room for food!

Tags
toy hauler