Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-16-2021, 01:39 PM   #1

Full-timing - Retired Traveling - RV Burnout - How to avoid it - Your Learnings

This week the RV Blog Changing Lanes did a live show & announced they needed a break due to burnout. They said they worked for 4 years of traveling & producing YouTube videos non-stop.

We have full timed for 1.5 years pending retirement which is imminent. Our plan is to travel the US full time for several years. We'll spend a month here and there with our kids during the year.

I am now making reservations and planning our first year of travel.

Do any similar RV travelers ... have learnings ... tips ... tricks ... travel strategies .... so as to make rv retirement travel sustainable and not burnout?

What do people new to fulltime retirement travel typically do wrong?

Please provide specifics/details of your suggestions.
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2021, 02:13 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Go slow, Google "Things to do near me", visit local restaurants, try to talk to other RVers, park owners.
Short hops, no long daily trips, plan ahead especially popular spots and parks, go to places the other spouse wants to go too.
Don't take a lot of "maybe I'll need that stuff someday" Wally World is every where.
Be very flexible due to winds, bad weather, no place to park, crowds, bad roads, inconsiderate people.
Plan Ahead.
Old 11-16-2021, 03:10 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club

They aren’t typical full timers. I would imagine producing videos and travel “together” does take a toll. A simple video can take hours! Even Days. We aren’t dealing with the pressure to produce videos all the time. We never burned out on travel but COVID did give us incentive to home base again. If that hadn’t happened we would be still be moving every 2 weeks minimum Judging what I’ve seen on income of YouTubers based on views and profits charts , I imagine they made a bunch and can afford some time away. While I appreciate the info they provide they have many more pressures not full time related I would bet.
The number one show stopper is not able to live in a small space with your spouse/ partner , followed by missing family or grandkids we found in our talks with fellow full timers.
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 04:15 PM   #4

What is a reasonable frequency of parking vs traveling?

Shoot for 2-3 weeks at a location before moving?

Do you stay at one location for several months in the winter or still move every 2-3 weeks in the winter?
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 04:38 PM   #5

Retirement is looming for us as well - Hubs is done on 12/31, I'm done in July. We are having trouble planning a 2 week trip in May lol.

We are struggling a bit with what a balance is for retirement. What is a good travel per day time? How to shift from 'vacation' to longer term travel.

I'm interested in the responses you get for this question!
rmbmrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 04:43 PM   #6

I doubt there's a magic formula or a one size fits all suggestion. You either love it or you don't, or you're like me and somewhere in the middle. I guess the more you love the lifestyle the longer you will last before burning out. Enjoy it for as long as possible then take a break if needed.

Jim58
Old 11-16-2021, 04:48 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club

For 4 years when we started we moved with 3 months the longest stay at 3 years in …. until last year near where we eventually bought a rv lot , but mostly a week at a location is tops mostly a few days and a couple hundred miles a day. We were are in a state for maybe a month with several stops. You save money staying in one place a for month but we got bored easy 4 1/2 trips across country north south and middle and we still have a big list of must go back to see or see again.
We aren’t exactly average as we do things a lot as we travel. Even leave the rv a and fly off somewhere. They say full timing isn’t vacationing all the time but it is close for us. Our funding is secure and we didn’t put a lot into the rv up front. Everybody has to find their own happy place with the budget they have.
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 05:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by swduns View Post
What is a reasonable frequency of parking vs traveling?

Shoot for 2-3 weeks at a location before moving?

Do you stay at one location for several months in the winter or still move every 2-3 weeks in the winter?
This question is pretty much self reflective, (what do you want to do) and how fast do think you need to move?
I have slowed down by half, spend (still working) 8 months in Pa and 4 in Georgia/Florida. No need to rush anymore, drive say 4-6 hours a day, none at night.
Planing far in advance is an art a skill, or just plane luck.

#1 thing about fultiming I believe is the size of the rig

At minimum 35 ft class A, tried it in a 28 ft class C,,, not going to work. It has to be a "Home",, not a camper. Fully and well insulated with nearly every appliance you have in a home.

(fundamentals)
Great heat
Great AC
Dam fine toilet, (right height elongated)
A shower you can sing & dance in. Mine-32 x 42.
Toad vehicle, (a must have) go get everything runner.

(High end full timing)
full size residential (all electric) compressor driven fridge propane fridge design is 50 + years old, my electric bill went from $120 a month to $29 a month for months now replacing that fridge.

Washer dryer, my god I have a washer/dryer, I am losing my mind in comfort, no more quarters, no more walking.ever...

It's the simple basic things in life you have to get right, after that everything else is much easier to do. Knowing the rig has your back with life's necessities.
Old 11-16-2021, 06:04 PM   #9

You have to get into the mindset that 'full-timing' is a new lifestyle. It's not a vacation. You need to enjoy just staying 'home' at times. Each of you need your own time. You don't have to do everything together. Get a hobby or pursue the one you have. Pick scenic surroundings and go for hikes/walks from the campsite. Stay on waterways and enjoy them... fishing, boating or just staring. You are going to have to do chores, rv maintenance, pay bills and go over your financials, stay in touch with family/friends, etc.

We traveled solely on secondary highways unless we needed an interstate for short distances. We usually moved not more than 200 miles; and at times 50 mi. or so before planting ourselves for another stay. We'd move on a Monday and change sites on Thursday unless we wanted to stay longer through the weekend.

We didn't do major tourist attractions other than national parks. We like the outdoors and hiked, fished and did 4-wheeling with our Jeep.

We boondocked on public lands or used public parks - rarely a RV park. We liked space around us in scenic areas. We tried to stay on rivers or lakes and loved the mountains. No big cities for us.

We didn't make reservations. We didn't plan far out. There's always a beautiful spot in a national forest or on BLM land. We didn't need hookups. We had solar.

We volunteered in national and state parks for about 2-3 months a year. We picked a place that we really wanted to explore on our days off. We've gone back to the same favorite parks at times.

Our grandchildren grew up with us full-timing and we made it a point to be at their special things - sport tournaments, school plays, concerts, graduations (even from pre-school). We took their 'Flat Henry' project around as we traveled and mailed it back with lots of brochures & trinkets of where he went. Their presentations were always a hit in school. They visited us in special places and even 'helped' at some of our volunteer gigs.

The best you can do is to not rush. Some seasons we spent the whole time in one state, covering it fully. We volunteered in some small towns in their schools and hospitals. We kept busy so no boredom.

We joined the Escapees RV Club and through them and staying at their parks, we made life-long friends. Quite often while traveling someone would send out a notice to our large group saying "We're at ..... ". "Come join us". It was common to have 8-10 rigs meet up on public land and then we'd do things together for 5-7 days before we'd all take off in different directions.

You'll work out your own schedule but when you feel pressured of driving or siteseeing, stop and relax for a while. You don't have to travel constantly.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 08:53 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
First, you can't think of full timing as being on vacation. It is just living your life and taking your house with you. We started out and did 11,000 miles in the first 6 months and were exhausted at Christmas. Then we slowed down to 10,000 miles during the year making a kind of circle tour so we always ended up back in Tyler, TX to see our physicians, dentist, etc. before the holidays. We tried Florida, Rio Grand Valley of Texas, and Arizona for winters - decided on Arizona and then spend a couple of years bouncing around the state to find the area we wanted to stay longer in. We settled on the Mesa, AZ area and found that it was everything we wanted to a winter stop including good shopping, restaurants, museums, arts centers with performing arts venues for great concerts and Spring Training! Then in '15 (after 9 years on the road) we settled into a Park Model for the winter (and left all winter stuff in it) and traveled 6 months for the summer. We are now looking into transitioning into a home with just 2-3 months travel during the summer. Health reasons make longer time just too difficult, plus we've seen just about everything we wanted to see.

We always tried for 1-2 weeks in a spot before moving. Long enough to get to try local restaurants, especially for breakfasts, do any necessary work around the coach/car, visit local points of interest, etc. and then move no more than 200 miles down the road. Our shortest move was 25 miles - - coffee in the pot was still hot when we got to our next spot and set up. Cats had settled down for their 4 hr naps for moving day, and we dismayed to walk up a couple of hours later and realize that we weren't moving! We usually don't do more than 3 days in a row for traveling without spending at least a couple of days. While our coach is very comfortable to ride in, it is still draining to go several days in a row without a break. We did 4 days in a row (200 miles max each day) in getting from San Francisco to Mesa this fall just because we didn't want to spend a couple of days in the Palm Springs area in the 100°+ heat. We've done enough of that and just wanted to get back and spread out a little. Your needs change as you age.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 09:39 PM   #11

What has worked for us over 10 years is to have a travel season and a sitting-still season. We'll spend about six months over the winter in the south for sitting still, repair and refit. Then we "go somewhere," spending a couple of months getting there and a couple of months getting back.

Too much traveling can be bad, as can too little traveling. You just need to find what suits you. Talk with your copilot at great length about this.

Four years constant travel and youtubing is definitely a recipe for burnout. I guess it was worth it for them, but now they're burned out on their jobs and their recreation.
Old 11-16-2021, 09:51 PM   #12

We Hit the Road FT to TRAVEL and see USA

We traveled weekly/bi-monthly place to place
CG sites were a place to park our home to sleep not our destination
The destination was to explore local areas
Mondays were for travel...T/W/T were for adventuring...Fri was for any minor upkeep ....Sat/Laundry...Sun---relaxing and planning next destination

We traveled secondary/back roads to experience Small Town USA
Explore/Adventure/Memories

After 7 yrs Life threw a Curve Ball and we had to come off the road back into a S&B.....we still miss the Lifestyle of FTng

Hopefully you find it to be an adventure, a new phase/Lifestyle to experience and enjoy

Plan if that is what satisfies your way of doing things....but sometimes it is more fun/exciting to just point and go.

Lots out there ---go make memories
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 09:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post

We didn't make reservations. We didn't plan far out. There's always a beautiful spot in a national forest or on BLM land. We didn't need hookups. We had solar.
I got a taste of that luxury in the 2000's, not making reservations, I really do miss that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
The best you can do is to not rush. Some seasons we spent the whole time in one state, covering it fully. We volunteered in some small towns in their schools and hospitals. We kept busy so no boredom.

You'll work out your own schedule but when you feel pressured of driving or sightseeing, stop and relax for a while. You don't have to travel constantly.
So true,there is a very real truism to having friends everywhere you go, and that develops over time. Sad part is watching them go, while you make plans too and keep moving on.

Once made (drive by) friends with another guy from NY in a Bounder coming up I95 in a rest stop. He pulled up real close, then proceeded to break out a grill, (Not a single F given) I was a little annoyed how close, then he offered me a great tasting burger. We struck up a conversation for hours, had some beers before both retiring. I awoke the next morning to the rig gone, probably never to be seen again.

It's those little moments in life with great memories/conversation that keep yea moving on,,, to the next adventure. Yea just never know who you are going to meet next.
Or where your next cheeseburger is coming from.
Old 11-17-2021, 01:04 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It’s not uncommon for new folks to fall into “vacation” mode. They’ve anticipated this change for a long time, now it’s here and by gosh we’re going to enjoy it!! You’re probably old enough to remember “If it’s Tuesday this must be Belgium”. Right. That’s the trap.
We started fulltiming in summer, 2012, and through a combo of our plans and family stuff we crossed the US of A four times in the first two years.
Great times, people, places, and we were exhausted; a lot of money on fuel, on campgrounds and RV parks. Had to slow down. The journey IS the destination, and as has been said, “half of gettin’ there is knowin’ where I been before”.
So we shifted gears. Started volunteering, sometimes workamping at places in different parts. Set still for a few months at a time, and that has become our modus these last several years. Now we’re discussing even more settling and less frequent travel, as we’ve become more comfortable with and desirous of a more regular proximity to are regular medicos.
And therein, my friend, is the crux of it. You have to be flexible with your life flow as you go along the road. Stuff changes, by choice or by random surprise, and you may need to accommodate, be it the next four days or ten years
Good Luck with it!.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full-timing, timing, tire, travel