Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2018, 08:58 AM   #1

Full Timing - Using a relatives address

Rather than attempt to establish domicile in Texas or South Dakota we were planning on using the address of a family member. Is there a downside? Some potential liability they might be exposed to if we do this? I would only consider it if I can be certain that it would negatively impact them in any way.

Does anyone else do this?
RayOfHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2018, 09:25 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Your question is too vague to give an exact answer, and the laws are changing that make this hard to predict if you'll be O.K. or not. Even folks who just want to travel, and have no interest in avoiding state taxes, reducing the cost of insurance or registration fees are still finding difficulties in many cases. Massachusetts and Georgia have been cracking down on RVs registered in other states but used or stored in their states.

Are you planning to use an address in Pennsylvania? Off the top of my head you'll have to have your RV pass state inspection.

This article by 'nomads' would be a good start to getting educated on the factors you'll need to consider.

Establishing residency

Another article on residency

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:57 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayOfHope View Post
Rather than attempt to establish domicile in Texas or South Dakota we were planning on using the address of a family member. Is there a downside? Some potential liability they might be exposed to if we do this? I would only consider it if I can be certain that it would negatively impact them in any way.

Does anyone else do this?
Are they willing to responsible for your mail?

Are they willing to call you to tell you you have a jury summons and will their local jurisdiction understand why you can't be available?

Are the local/state taxes favorable to you?
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 12:29 PM   #4

I have been full timing for years. Went thru 3 different children until I settled on my daughter. Been working fine for a few years.

Most of my stuff is paperless anyway and I get texts with photos every week of so of stuff that needs attention. Even then, most can be done online.

She learned to forge my signature, way back in high school, so if something needs to be signed, with my permission she does it for me.

Her house is my legal address for everything.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 12:48 PM   #5

Off hand the major issue is the willingness of the relative to handle your mail. As long as you are not trying to dodge taxes in your domicile state or spend long enough in another state to be declared a resident you should be fine.

Check with your state about how to handle things like inspections and jury duty. Most states have a process to delay things like that for a reasonable time. You will probably want to come back to your domicile state once or twice a year anyway to keep the relative happy and cover medical issues.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 03:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181;4470718:
welcome:

Your question is too vague to give an exact answer, and the laws are changing that make this hard to predict if you'll be O.K. or not.
Fair point, as things currently stand I work for a multinational corporation headquartered in Philadelphia. I live in Bucks County, an adjacent suburban county. My brother and family live nearby in the 'family homestead', four generations of my family currently live in a big house my dad built back in the 70's.

Our plan is to sell the house next year, only placing it on the market once we have our RV. While the house is on the market we're going to 'practice' using the new unit and I'll probably do a mix of commuting and working remote.

Once the house is sold I will either use his address (They have no problem forwarding any mail important enough to warrant it. There should not be much.) as my 'permanent address' while we travel. We expect to 'come home' at least four times a year. We have heard good feedback about Stoltzfus RV in West Chester pa, so we hope to get any major service done there so we can crash with relatives if necessary.

Alternatively we could establish domicile in South Dakota, but that seems a little close to the line and I really need to be sure I'm not doing anything sketchy and my employer is ...uh... very corporate. The nature of the business requires a certain degree of financial rectitude.
Old 10-27-2018, 03:42 PM   #7

We use our daughters address & she handles our mail , has not been an issue
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 03:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
Are they willing to responsible for your mail?
Yes, that should not be much effort on their part. We do almost everything on line.

Are they willing to call you to tell you you have a jury summons and will their local jurisdiction understand why you can't be available?

I have no problem returning to do my civic duty, hell, I'd even fly in if necessary. I plan on being around 'home' as much as anywhere else. The mid Atlantic is great for camping. In the summer anyway.

Are the local/state taxes favorable to you?
Could be better, could be worse.
Old 10-27-2018, 04:06 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Why not talk to a qualified accountant about your plans. Every state is different - I would want to hear from a professional about possible exposure before you make the next move.

Oh, yes, Stoltzfus is a great RV dealer with a very good repair facility and reputation. We used to live in that area and bought our very first used TT from them. They were always great to work with.
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:19 PM   #10

We are on our 29th year of full timing and have used our daughter's address in Pennsylvania for all those years with no problems. You don't need a professional to tell you that. You must get your vehicles inspected once a year and pay state taxes. if we get a request for jury duty and we are in tim-buc-too, we write a nice letter explaining our absence and they have always OK'd it. Our daughter has Power of Attorney, so if there is something that has to be done financially, she can handle it. However, we have never needed that done with everything you can do online now. See you on the Road.
grumpypapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:44 PM   #11
Community Moderator

So many RVers are using daughter's address for mailing; but no son's... You see the problem?

We use our daughter's address for mailing too, but our domicile is in a different state. We have been doing this for many years no problem.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 02:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
So many RVers are using daughter's address for mailing; but no son's... You see the problem?
I've had a male friend handling our mail for 15 years now. He's not my son, but he's somebody's son, and it's been just fine.

To the OP: Your plan sounds perfect.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:11 PM   #13

Requirements to maintain residency vary state by state. For example, WA allowed us to continue our residency there after we sold our home and moved into our RV full time - until we establish a home in another state. We use a physical mailing address via Saint Brendan's Isle for everything, but we do use a friends' home address for our drivers' licenses. Despite state law making it easy to maintain residency in WA if we don't have a home elsewhere, the DOL insists on a WA residence address for our driver's license and the county board of elections insists on a physical WA residence address to allow us to keep voting. Inconsistent much? As a result, we use our friend's address for those two things, but nothing else. Everything else we get is sent to our mailing address at Saint Brendan's Isle. We're not "dodging" any taxes, as WA has no state income tax, so no worries there.
Rocinante440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:24 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
The only downside is PA. is edging it's way to being a high tax and fee state.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote