Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Fulltimer's surcharge

We like on the west coast of canada (B.C.) and our insurance co. charged us a 25% sucharge on our insurance since we sold our s/b and moved into our rv. we tried to explain that we are yes living in the rv but we are still travelling and not in one place for more that a week at a time. Wewould like some feedback from other fulltimers. Ware both in our 70's and enjoy just seeing the country we live in and allso the one to the south of us. Your info would be much apprieated.
pops2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pops2 View Post
We like on the west coast of canada (B.C.) and our insurance co. charged us a 25% sucharge on our insurance since we sold our s/b and moved into our rv. we tried to explain that we are yes living in the rv but we are still travelling and not in one place for more that a week at a time. Wewould like some feedback from other fulltimers. Ware both in our 70's and enjoy just seeing the country we live in and allso the one to the south of us. Your info would be much apprieated.
Interesting situation. Our RV insurance is from a different company than for the studs and stucco...so, I don't know how they would know, unless we told them we were starting to full-time.

I guess the topic came up when you cancelled the home policy(?).

And it is odd they call it a surcharge as opposed to a different policy requirement

As is often said..."let your wallet do the talking." Maybe cancel and go to a different company... keeping the discussion about fulltiming for only if they ask(?).

But, I would never suggest misrepresenting your situation. Insurance companies will deny a claim in a hot second if they can prove the client was trying to mislead the policy underwriter.

Safe travels and happy holiday's
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 02:27 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our original RV policy was with Nationwide who also carried our stick&brick and auto insurance. When we sold the house and went full time I called our agent, mostly to increase the personal property coverage on the RV insurance. Turned out our "standard" RV policy assumed using the RV only 30 days a year! I moved to Blue Sky, who wrote us a full timer specific policy. It includes 365 day a year occupancy, increased personal property coverage, loss of use (pays for hotel, rental car etc) and an umbrella liability coverage which normally comes with a homeowners policy.

My annual premium went from $450 to $1250. So, I think 25% surcharge for going full time is very reasonable.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 02:31 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Insurance rates are based on your HOME address. Even if you full-time in a RV and you are never there, you need a HOME address.

Also, if Full-timing in a RV I would HIGHLY recommend having Full-Timers insurance otherwise you may be truly homeless & penniless if there were to be an accident at your RV site or a medical tragedy.

Call Explorer RV Insurance Agents for a quote. They also have Full-Timers insurance.

RV Insurance & Commercial Vehicle Insurance | Explorer RV

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I don't recall how much, but our insurance went up considerably when we went full time but there were so many changes taking place in terms of coverage, liability limits, etc. that it's hard to tell how much was a "surcharge" for being full time.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 02:56 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Most insurance companies will give you a "discount" on any additional policies past the first one purchased. I can see how it would seem to be a surcharge when that multiple policy discount was lost.

That said, full timer's coverage will be more expensive than the basic property damage/liability policy you had on the RV when you also owned a home. Your homeowner's policy included a personal liability coverage that your basic RV policy did not. The homeowner's policy also had provisions to cover personal property. You'll need both of these added to your RV insurance needs. This will increase the price.

This is not a simple apples to apples change.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:08 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Insurance rates are based on your HOME address. Even if you full-time in a RV and you are never there, you need a HOME address.

Also, if Full-timing in a RV I would HIGHLY recommend having Full-Timers insurance otherwise you may be truly homeless & penniless if there were to be an accident at your RV site or a medical tragedy.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Agree on all counts Richard. Our home base is Box Elder SD which has fairly low rates compared to some areas of the country. And yes, our "Umbrella Liability" covers us against a claim from, say, a visitor who trips over our slinky stinky.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:14 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
The admission that you are full time will cause your rates to go up...I assume the ins cos view there to be more liability and more collision/comprehensive risk if you're full time on the road, than if the coach is in storage part of the year. How they could tell the difference between 3, 6 9, or 12 months a year on the road I don't know...so, IMHO, the only way you change is if you admit. We did and our Blue Sky went up $600...we switched to Nationwide (umbrella for Allied). Increase from Blue Sky was $200, but deductible decreased by $1K and coverage was better, including awnings.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
I noticed that all of the recommendations were for companies writing insurance in the USA. You did notice that the OP is talking about BC, right?

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:23 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
2 years ago we had a 100% surcharge just for being European (no fixed US address). No claims, no tickets, no changes, and insurance conditions unchanged. They did this at the same time they awarded us "Platinum membership" I think it was for being loyal customers and with a spotless record.

So much for looking at your track record for 7 years. How they get away with this? We have no where else to go being "aliens".

This must make a 25% increase look cheap

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post

I noticed that all of the recommendations were for companies writing insurance in the USA. You did notice that the OP is talking about BC, right?

Barb
Barb,

If their home is a RV then British Columbia Canada doesn't necessarily have to be their Domicile address.

Just sayn'

My domicile is Alaska but I have never lived there. I only stay 4-5 months there when we do go solely to spend time with my sons and grandchildren.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:23 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
As it is I do have a domocile address which is where my son lives but I am 70 yrs old and have no job so in essence I am vacationing fulltime, what difference should it be to an insurance co. where I am and where I desire to reside as I have both a resident address and a postal box number. Seems to me that there is just another loophole for the rich to gouge the poor and class it as law.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:44 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pops2 View Post
As it is I do have a domocile address which is where my son lives but I am 70 yrs old and have no job so in essence I am vacationing fulltime, what difference should it be to an insurance co. where I am and where I desire to reside as I have both a resident address and a postal box number. Seems to me that there is just another loophole for the rich to gouge the poor and class it as law.
Maybe, but it makes sense to me, that insurance companies build rate schedules for "recreational" vehicles. They need to plug in some number of days which they assume the vehicle will be recreationally used... and therefore exposed to the greatest danger for claims. Whatever number that is, is dramatically lower than anyone who full times... so I can understand why full time insurance costs more.

I have a hard time understanding a connection to the rich gouging the poor or any reference to law.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:53 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Sorry Ricko as it is frustrating as you work for 60 years and finally you hit the age that now you can get out and see the land of the free and find that your not as free as you may think you are. Always someone has the hammer over your had as requirements say that we must have insurance I just wish that we didn't have to pay as much.

Tags
fulltime