Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2021, 03:34 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Getting license plates mailed to you

I am sure this has been asked many times before, but I haven’t found the answer yet. We are in the process of buying a MH and selling our house all at the same time (no stress).

When we go to license the RV, will the DMV send the plates to an address of a mail forwarding service? Or do I need to go to the DMV and get the plates in person? Or do I use my current S&B address and hope the plates arrive before any potential closing date? Or do I just make a beeline for Florida or SD and change my domicile and do it there? FWIW, we live in Virginia so a drive to SD is a long one.

We are moving out the house prior to the sale for the realtors to ‘stage’ the house. They expect a quick sale in this market, especially if they stage it.

My wife is wanting to hit the road ASAP, so I would prefer not to have to wait around or circle back for the plates.
Woodchuck123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2021, 09:18 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Our mail service gets the plates (we've been through several style changes in 16 yrs) and then just sends them on with the next batch of mail. I would suggest that you get the mail service set up 3 months (at least) before you move out so that all of your mail can be direct there. Bought a new car in Arizona, registered in Texas, plates sent to our Livingston address and they notified me they were in and I had the mail sent to us back in Arizona where we were that month.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 09:41 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
At least in va

I spoke with the rv dealer and at least in Virginia the dealer is authorized to issue the plates. So I can get them directly from the dealer when I take delivery as I am buying and titling it in the same state. Problem solved for at least a year
Woodchuck123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 10:03 PM   #4

Foretravel Owners Club
You will really like the ease of becoming a SD resident..
[[One nite in a campground and get the receipt to show SD drivers Services for your new drivers lic, & register to vote] (note.. If You have a current drivers lic , You will not need to take any tests .& they do not require a "special endorsement" for an RV over 26,000 pounds..so GO BIG!
And they head to the County tax assessor to pay your lic fees and they will issue plates while you are there. [fun fact.. if you have a motorcoach & toad, the plates will be consecutive numbers]
The Escapees organization have all their ducks in a row to help you become a Sodak.
and the sales tax is 4.5% to 5.5% [depending on County] with NO Income tax..

When We did the deed, stayed @ America's Campground Rapid city. They are also a mail forwarding company BUT the Escapees have more pluses IMO. [and they can give you pointers as well..]
Good luck & Happy Trails
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck123 View Post
I am sure this has been asked many times before, but I haven’t found the answer yet. We are in the process of buying a MH and selling our house all at the same time (no stress).

When we go to license the RV, will the DMV send the plates to an address of a mail forwarding service? Or do I need to go to the DMV and get the plates in person? Or do I use my current S&B address and hope the plates arrive before any potential closing date? Or do I just make a beeline for Florida or SD and change my domicile and do it there? FWIW, we live in Virginia so a drive to SD is a long one.

We are moving out the house prior to the sale for the realtors to ‘stage’ the house. They expect a quick sale in this market, especially if they stage it.

My wife is wanting to hit the road ASAP, so I would prefer not to have to wait around or circle back for the plates.
I guess my first question is, where are you planning on spending most of the winter months? If your are heading to Texas or Arizona then maybe SD would be your best bet for changing over and becoming "official" residents there. If you are wanting to winter in Florida then maybe secure some type of driveaway permit and when you get to Florida change your DL and plates over then. If becoming FL residents there are a ton of options available for mail forwarding services.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led