Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2013, 01:31 PM   #1

Getting ready to live the dream...update...

Hello again...My last post was in April and we are getting closer...the good news...my wonderful husband has just 14 working days left until he retires ....the not so good news....we still do not have our house on the market but we have made excellent progress. In just a couple weeks husband and I will be able to work full time on our list of things to do and it should go fairly quick. We have sold about 60% of the things we needed to get rid of the rest we will keep to show with the house. Then their gone. Lol. My gosh what a trying time this has been for us, but we are making it through one day at a time. Some days I feel as though it is never going to happen but I know in my heart I just have to remain patient and diligent and this WILL happen

Thank goodness for the wonderful people on this website. You all have kept me going through the times I have become so discouraged.

Are the any specific threads for people that are going through the process of clearing everything out and getting their homes ready to be put on the market?? Would be nice to lend some support as well as read about others going through the same ordeal lol.

Ok so here is what I was really wanting to ask about. After looking at hundreds of floor plans I just can't seem to get past the Damon Tuscany.....probably an 06 or 07. It just seems to have everything I am looking for. I am a bit hesitant though as I have seen comments on more then one occasion that they are a somewhat cheaply manufactured motorhome. Is there anyone who might feel comfortable giving their opinion and or experience on this subject?? Also it will just be the husband and I 90% of the time and we are very particular about how we care for our things. He also has a carpentry background and is pretty mechanically inclined so if small problems do arise we should be in pretty good shape ....I hope you are all enjoying your summer....safe travels and we hope to be joining you very soon

Thanks again to all the wonderful people on this site,
Jeff and Julie
Keen65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like things are getting exciting.

I don't recall any threads specifically about getting a house on the market prior to full timing but it might be a good idea. Like you, we started a bit early getting rid of "stuff". When we finally were ready to list, we set up the coach at a state park only a mile from our house and lived in there while the house was listed.

We have three dogs and this allowed us to keep the house clean for showings while working on the coach to ready it for full time. Worked great for us.

I have heard the same rumors you have about the Tuscany but have no first hand knowledge.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:07 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
We are in the same situation but I can't retire for another two months. So it is tough trying to get rid of things and sorting out the "must keeps" when there is no good time to attend to it. Hopefully as you suggest it will go faster once I retire.
We have one advantage in that we are now "fulltiming" in our driveway (except for this week we are out of town.) I take things in and out between the rig and the house trying to get the final load of what we are taking. We are essentially full so anything I bring from the house to the rig, means something must go back into the house or in the donate box. I'm wearing some clothes for the last time and then putting them into the donate box.
I keep asking friends and family to come over and take what they want. We've gotten rid of some large furniture items that way and also some small kitchenware, etc. We know all of the large items must go so that is not so much of an issue for us. And I'm glad to see it go to someone who will use and appreciate it.
It's the small items (like the clothes) which ones can I keep, that bug me. I have several nice formal-like dresses and will probably never need to wear any again, yet I hate to just say goodbye. If I keep one, will it just be space taken up that could have been used for something else? Probably!
I was a collector of several things like old kerosene lamps, obviously something I cannot keep. So far no takers on that. And so it goes. There is definitely an emotional aspect to things which I have had so long, so it is not easy, but I am determined to get rid of them one way or another!

I don't know if this is group therapy or not but when you said there should be a thread just to look at the issue of getting ready to go, divesting, downsizing and eliminating, I bit. Thanks, Irene
Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:23 PM   #4

Sounds like you have everything under control.

From our experience (albeit it 15yrs ago) there is nothing to be gained through "storage". We emptied a 4 bedroom home into a commercial storage facility and by the time we got around to dealing with this problem (6yrs later) we had spent around 15k in moving/storage fees.

Once out of our home & with the stuff in storage our options were reduced to an auction and we got "killed"! We spent 15k to store what sold at auction for $750! I will never ever buy furniture or household goods at retail again....the quality of auction items is amazing and can be had for pennies on the dollar.

We have subsequently sold various items we saved via the Internet have made more than double what the entire auction process produced. In other words....my advice to anyone about to empty a House....take your time and take every advantage of (1) garage sales (2) consignment stores & (3) the Internet. You'll pay for years worth of fuel, CG fees, etc. by just putting a little energy into maximizing the value of "stuff" you paid hard- earned money to purchase.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:07 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We were lucky. When showing the the house, I made the off hand remark that iif the potential buyer would pay the asking price, we would throw in the woodshop, the two tractors and the furniture.

They took us up on the offer and we probably came out better than we would have if we had to sell and move everything.

We're happy and they're happy. Closing was a month ago and they still haven't spent a night in the house and we've been "work camping" in our RV and taking our time getting packed to start full time. Departure is Friday the 2nd of AUG.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:03 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Way to go, super rep Chet. Hope we can be so fortunate.
Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:10 PM   #7

Irene I feel your pain with the decision making process. What to keep, what not to keep. We have basically decided we will not keep much. Kitchenware is very important as I love to cook, tools for hubby to work on motorhome when needed also for some craft projects we will be creating while on the road. Some personal items, some clothes, a few towels, sheets, etc. of course there will be a few more items but will not be packing the rig full of stuff......that I know for sure.

As for your collection of lamps you may want to list them on Craig's list. It is easy to do and I'm sure you will get some responses.

My biggest issue is trying not to get to to depressed waiting for our day to come when we hit the road. We are so anxious and excited and it is soooo hard to not get discouraged!!! Thanks for posting.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:15 PM   #8

Wow Chet sounds like things are moving right along for you. You really were lucky. Good luck and safe travels to you. Friday Aug. 2 is right around the corner. Congrats and maybe let us know how things go out there.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:20 PM   #9

Good advice Jack. Thank you. Always helpful to hear from others past experiences.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:59 AM   #10

We put our home on the market two weeks ago,a day later signed contracts,closing end of September then its wheels rolling.
Good Luck guys,
muddywaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:03 AM   #11

Congratulations to you. What a huge relief that must be. Best of luck and I hope we are not too far behind you!!! Safe travels.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:10 AM   #12

[QUOTE=Trekkers;1664438]We are in the same situation but I can't retire for another two months. So it is tough trying to get rid of things and sorting out the "must keeps" when there is no good time to attend to it. Hopefully as you suggest it will go faster once I retire.
I was a collector of several things like old kerosene lamps, obviously something I cannot keep. So far no takers on that. And so it goes. There is definitely an emotional aspect to things which I have had so long, so it is not easy, but I am determined to get rid of them one way or another!

I have been downsizing for a few months now. I had a massive garage sale and got rid of lots of stuff. I have had things on Craigslist for months, and have gotten rid of lots of it. Collector items and other hard-to-sell items have been sold on eBay. I still have major items - a boat and a house, that I'm working on. Then I'll have one last garage sale and that will be the end - anything left is for donating.

I haven't bought my rig yet, but when I do, I'll have the time to work on it and not deal with the STUFF I've been collecting for 6 years. I did this 20 years ago when I moved onto a boat to sail to the Caribbean - it was MUCH worse then, no Craigslist, no eBay and much more STUFF!!!!

Actually, I look at this as part of the fun! Good luck!

Betty
Old 08-05-2013, 07:25 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkers View Post
I have several nice formal-like dresses and will probably never need to wear any again, yet I hate to just say goodbye. If I keep one, will it just be space taken up that could have been used for something else? Probably!

I don't know if this is group therapy or not but when you said there should be a thread just to look at the issue of getting ready to go, divesting, downsizing and eliminating, I bit. Thanks, Irene
We just went full time on 29 Dec 2012 so I can relate to your down sizing emotions! One tip that helped me was to take pictures of the things you have an emotional attachment to. That way the memory is captured and pictures take a lot less space. For your gowns, you might consider donating them to a high school performing arts club. They frequently need dresses for costumes. Wouldn't it be neat to attend a performance of aspiring actors and see one of your gowns! Regardless of how you down size, you will really enjoy your new found freedom. Welcome to FT!
Old 08-06-2013, 04:22 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have a planned Full-time date of June 2014. There is the typical collection of stuff to get rid of. We have had three yard sales but they really didn't put a dent in it. Tools have been the best seller. Knicks knacks, housewares, books and clothes are at give away prices but we still haul it all back in the house after each yard sale. I guess the reality is the only way is give it away for all that superfluous stuff. Next will be the DW's treasures, the library, and furniture. So tough to sever the emotional bond with "stuff".