Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2020, 04:39 PM   #1

Going full time in April/May - Prescriptions

We are selling our home in the Puget Sound area and are planning to be on the road full time for at least two years. I've searched for threads on a few topics where we are looking for suggestions but the I can't find enough information to arrive at a decision. So I'm unreeling a few new threads in hopes of coming up with some focused input.

We have a mix of Medicare and non-Medicare (Blue Cross/Blue Shield) coverage. What has worked well in the full-time community for getting refills while you are on the move?

Thanks (again ) for your help!
SRP11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2020, 04:49 PM   #2

Talk with your Primary Care Doctor about your FTng plans.......get 90 day Rx for prescriptions
Check with your plan coverage thru Blue Cross/Blue Shield ,,,nationwide/Rx refills (course that will be dependent on 'domicile'---official state residency)

CVS, Walmart, Wallgreens----------refills ----most via computer records/Doctor FAXng Rx
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 04:56 PM   #3

Hi srp11,
That's a good question and I'm glad you asked as we will be doing the same thing next winter.
I don't have a plan in place but I know I can get 6 months supply up here in Canada. Snowbird season you know.

So my first step will be talk to my local drug store and my doctor.

Plan B if that won't work will be to arrange with the druggist to ship me a supply or arrange for a pickup where ever I might be.

Plan C well I'm still working on that one.

Looking forward to the adventure. I haven't been this excited in years. Lol

Good luck
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 05:11 PM   #4

X2 for what Old Biscuit says. We typically get 90 day supplies via Walmart, Walgreen's, or CVS. That being said, we are currently in Alpine, TX for 3 months with no Walmart, Walgreen's, or CVS within 70 miles. We made a special trip up to Ft. Stockton (74 miles) to pick up the prescriptions that were not sufficient to carry us through. I called my physician and he said he would call my prescriptions in to one of the local pharmacies if needed. f you can get your prescriptions mailed to you and keep your shipping address updated, that would work well also.
mb36912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 07:47 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Our prescription insurance (through former employer) requires that we use Express Scripts mail order if possible, for short term we can use Walgreen and even for 90 days we can now use Walgreens, which we do for Dave's insulin because it has to be refrigerated. Express Scripts ship to Livingston, then forwarded in our next mail shipment, or to a temporary address which is what we do in the winter in Mesa. Costs us more to get them through Walgreens, but it is worth it for us for the refrigerated insulin.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 10:56 PM   #6

Whoever you have for prescription coverage will give you a list of who you may get prescription from.

We used WalMart as we traveled because they're everywhere. The prescription was for one year - 90 days at a time.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 11:45 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Going full time in April/May - Prescriptions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRP11 View Post
.....We have a mix of Medicare and non-Medicare (Blue Cross/Blue Shield) coverage. What has worked well in the full-time community for getting refills while you are on the move?.....
By a “mix” I assume you mean one of you is on Medicare and the other is not.
Non-Medicare: We don’t have this issue, so my knowledge may be outdated. I believe you will need what used to be called a PPO plan. This will allow you to travel but keep your coverage intact as long as you use a Preferred Provider. Available plans will vary with your state of domicile. Will you remain WA residents? Check with Blue Cross and your doctor.
Medicare: Medicare travels anywhere in the US. Best bet (IMO) is Med A, B, with a Medicare supplement plan to cover deductibles, copays, etc. In most cases Supplement Plans F or G are the most comprehensive and cost effective, but you can check for your own requirements.
Med D for scripts is avail through private carriers. Be sure you get a plan that travels well... not hard to do. For easy access big box pharmacies usually work best because they are simply (almost) everywhere. Walmart, CVS, Walgreen, etc. Just in case they’re not, make sure your plan will deal with private pharmacies. We’ve been using the Walmart network for 8 years. Their system can switch store locations instantly, and all sorts of other efficiencies.
The only place we’ve encountered what you might call a difficulty is North Dakota. State law in ND prohibits in-house pharmacies at big box stores. Walmart, Costco, big grocery stores, etc... none have their own in house pharma. But there’s likely another town within 10-20 miles, and darn near all of them have a pharmacy, so it’s not like you’re really left high and dry. Sometimes you’ll find a big store with a pharmacy, but it’s not their in-house— it’s a contract operation by a local pharmacy. Fine quality and service, but without the advantages and convenience of the big store network.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 11:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRP11 View Post
We are selling our home in the Puget Sound area and are planning to be on the road full time for at least two years.

We have a mix of Medicare and non-Medicare (Blue Cross/Blue Shield) coverage.
Is this non-Medicare plan because one of you is under 65 and has to buy their own health insurance? If so, where you reside is important.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 03:38 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are on Medicare. When getting part D coverage we ensure Walmart or Walgreens are prime in the plan. Locations pretty much nationwide. Walmart is convenient as it's a common stop for groceries and other needs. One stop shopping.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 09:57 AM   #10

I have Florida Blue in Florida. Use Walmart for the past 3 years FT on the road from east to west coast not a problem at all. Very simple to call the local Walmart have them transfer it from the last Walmart I had it filled. Refills just as simple.
Easy peasy IMO.
computerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 08:48 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
WE use CVS, and occasion others when CVS not near us, and get 90 days at a time. IN 3+ years not a problem.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 05:03 PM   #12
jrs

So far, Walmart has worked for us.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time, scr