Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2021, 08:12 AM   #1

Going to be living in our RV for about 7 months. What about health insurance? Mail?

We are leaving California and moving to Arizona. We will live in our RV with our 2 large breed puppies for probably 7-8 months while we wait for our house to be built. We currently have Kaiser health insurance and that won’t be available in AZ. Also, we have a private mail box here in our gated community in Palm Desert.

I’m pretty sure we will have to surrender the PMB once we sell the house here. I’m pretty sure that if I change my address out of Southern California, we will have to change our insurance. I’m not sure if the insurance companies rely on the mailing address to determine insurance rates or where you actually reside.

I definitely will call our insurance company and ask them for their requirements, but wondering what folks on this forum have done in this situation.

Thanks in advance for your insight
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2021, 10:00 AM   #2
Community Moderator

My wife insurance company uses the state of residency to determine which company. She is a retire teacher from Ohio, but changing our residency to South Dakota in June, she has to change the company to Aetna. Mine I don't worry about since I am under the VA.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:50 AM   #3

So, I guess that’s part of the question. What constitutes a change in residency? Once I no longer own a home here in California or anywhere is it my mailing address?
Old 02-02-2021, 08:58 AM   #4
Community Moderator

[QUOTE=MrsChilerick;5620155]So, I guess that’s part of the question. What constitutes a change in residency? Once I no longer own a home here in California or anywhere is it my mailing address?[/QUOTE

We full time, so we don't own a house in Ohio, we are still registry there to vote. When we change to South Dakota we still will not own a house, but will be registry to vote in South Dakota and have SD driver licenses. Our vehicles will be tagged there.
Mailing address, no, we have mail sent to us here in Goodyear while being sitting here for 4 months. After that our mail goes back to our UPS store in Ohio until we get somewhere to have mail sent.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:30 AM   #5

If you are under 65 and buying health insurance through the ACA, then where you actually reside is what determines where you get health insurance.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:41 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
You are not a Full timer with no Stick Home, only temporary. Since you are Building a Stick home. Does it have an address? if so, can you use it? Yes all your insurance will change. States control insurance and companies base insurance if they offer it at all in the new state on your address. You can use the house address and forward all mail to a forwarding company PO Box.
You can establish your domicile anywhere , generally by getting a DL etc , but ,since you are building a home that might not work as well if you have to change it again in just a few months. If you don't really have a home address where you are building , then you are free to pick anywhere , I would pick somewhere other than Calif tax wise to be sure.
Old 02-02-2021, 12:50 PM   #7

I'm confused. You are moving to AZ but don't want to move to AZ?
Just change your address to either the RV Park you will be staying for 7 months or rent a PO box at the nearest Post Office. Get your drivers license, insurance and you will be all set for when you move in to your new home.
In other words, move to Arizona.
Old 02-02-2021, 02:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
I'm confused. You are moving to AZ but don't want to move to AZ?
Just change your address to either the RV Park you will be staying for 7 months or rent a PO box at the nearest Post Office. Get your drivers license, insurance and you will be all set for when you move in to your new home.
In other words, move to Arizona.
Good answer.

If you want to keep California stuff then ask the proper authorities in California. Probably safer than a forum.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 04:10 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
If you maintain your Ca status the State Tax Dept will like you.

We used a UPS store PO box for about 8 months in Ca while looking for a replacement house. They will forward your mail on request, or if they can no longer store the volume. All for a fee of course.

Mail can be forwarded from the USPS to the UPS store for six months. So get all your needed mail informed of your new UPS address before that time is up.

Our address in CA was the UPS store and mailbox.

You could perhaps use an Arizona address but that might not keep the insurance company happy.

We eventually bought another home in California and all was well.

Things for which we needed a physical address (driver's license, vehicle license, etc.) were changed to be mailed to our relative's California address during the interim.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:37 AM   #10

I appreciate all of the info. We are not staying in one place while in our RV. We will be traveling until about 2 weeks before our house is completed. I’m just look for the good ideas from the folks that have done this before.

We’ll probably stay our kids until June. They are in NorCal and out of the area of our current insurance, we will need to change insurance in AZ. I just have to figure out how/when I can/should change that to AZ. We are liquidating everything we have in California. We don’t want the tax czars there coming after us for taxes when we could’ve there anymore.

Mail is certainly easier, but I’m trying to figure out if I can forward without it impacting my insurance.
Old 02-03-2021, 12:13 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsChilerick View Post
I appreciate all of the info. We are not staying in one place while in our RV. We will be traveling until about 2 weeks before our house is completed. I’m just look for the good ideas from the folks that have done this before.

We’ll probably stay our kids until June. They are in NorCal and out of the area of our current insurance, we will need to change insurance in AZ. I just have to figure out how/when I can/should change that to AZ. We are liquidating everything we have in California. We don’t want the tax czars there coming after us for taxes when we could’ve there anymore.

Mail is certainly easier, but I’m trying to figure out if I can forward without it impacting my insurance.

Call your insurance agent, explain what you are doing, and ask best way to do it.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:36 PM   #12

Yes, obviously, will do that.
Old 02-20-2021, 08:43 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We sold our home in the EastBay in Sept. and are now in the DFW area staying in a park. Our son lives here which is our main reason for picking TX. We opened a PO Box here once we got here, but since Sept we had all our mail forwarded to to our son’s home. We did change every account we could to online billing.
We had Kaiser as well and prior to leaving switched to Blue Cross which covers us in the area we plan on settling. As for insurance I spoke to our agent and have remained on our CA coverage but will switch as soon as we get TX DL’s. My agent told us to pay all our premiums for 2121 and once we have a new permanent address here to change insurance and we will be refunded. I have an appointment to obtain a TX DL but with COVID my time slot is not till mid June. I did register my truck here because my CA registration expired, but our trailer still has CA plates that don’t expire until July. I will say it was great to pay $107 to register and title my vehicle here rather then pay $90 to SMOG and $500 to renew my CA registration. Yes technically registrations and DL’s need to be changed within 90 days but due to COVID everything is months behind.

As others have said if you know your new homes physical address I’d change my physical address to your new place and just monitor all my accounts online.
Not sure any of that info helps...
CNPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 08:45 AM   #14

Thanks, some good info. I appreciate your sharing your experience. It will certainly help us

Tags
insurance