Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-14-2021, 06:12 PM   #29

Good score, that was a nice year coach.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2021, 10:38 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Good looking coach, I知 sure you値l both enjoy!
I値l repeat: If you decide you壇 like some guidance and advice, some tips and pointers, the RV Driving School is a good place. Good results, lots of good reviews. www.rvschool.com.
FULL DISCLOSURE: I was formerly an instructor with them.
2004 Element
JFXG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 10:53 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by trx430ex View Post
In normal times I would advise you to check tire dates & battery dates. But if you scored the deal the tires are 8 years old they can wait.
Get new tires 5 years or 6 at the latest. How do I know........ picture is worth a thousand words.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1636.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	348891   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1614.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	442.5 KB
ID:	348892  

Old 11-23-2021, 09:52 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Good looking coach, I知 sure you値l both enjoy!
I値l repeat: If you decide you壇 like some guidance and advice, some tips and pointers, the RV Driving School is a good place. Good results, lots of good reviews. www.rvschool.com.
FULL DISCLOSURE: I was formerly an instructor with them.
I have to make it to one. None are anywhere close unfortunately. Around March/April we should begin our travels, so I'll see if I can aim towards a location that has an instructor first.
Bogie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 08:31 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-NM View Post
Get new tires 5 years or 6 at the latest. How do I know........ picture is worth a thousand words.....
Note taken, but that looks like a heat failure, not an age failure. Outside dully lost some air pressure, making the inside dully take 1 & 1/2 times the weight. Heating up then failing.

Also that does not look like a Michelin or a Sumitomo quality tire.

Also do believe the Sumitomo is a superior tire as it is made in (Japan), Michelin no longer says where it is made.

Manufacture of origin usually stamped on the tire, along with date code after the word (dot) 4619 would equal 46th week of 2019.
Old 11-24-2021, 09:38 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by trx430ex View Post
Note taken, but that looks like a heat failure, not an age failure. Outside dully lost some air pressure, making the inside dully take 1 & 1/2 times the weight. Heating up then failing.

Also that does not look like a Michelin or a Sumitomo quality tire.

Also do believe the Sumitomo is a superior tire as it is made in (Japan), Michelin no longer says where it is made.

Manufacture of origin usually stamped on the tire, along with date code after the word (dot) 4619 would equal 46th week of 2019.
The tires have TPMS and all were within normal range. The tire that blew was a Goodyear 670RV the DOT was 4013. The outer tire is a new Michelin due to a stem failure. I had stopped for about 30 minutes at a gas station drove off got maybe 10 miles down the road when it blew. This was the last leg of a 3300 mile round trip with 250 miles left to go when it happened. The tire mechanic stated it looked like I hit something in the road that sliced into it. After reading many posts about tire failure appeared that the majority indicated 6 years is about it.
Old 11-24-2021, 08:53 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-NM View Post
The tires have TPMS and all were within normal range. The tire that blew was a Goodyear 670RV the DOT was 4013. The outer tire is a new Michelin due to a stem failure. I had stopped for about 30 minutes at a gas station drove off got maybe 10 miles down the road when it blew. This was the last leg of a 3300 mile round trip with 250 miles left to go when it happened. The tire mechanic stated it looked like I hit something in the road that sliced into it. After reading many posts about tire failure appeared that the majority indicated 6 years is about it.
Had a similar experience traveling through North Carolina. Came upon a hole in Rt95 drivers side about double the size of a basketball at the last second. Managed to steer the rig right then cut back left. It saved the rig, but then I felt the shutter coming all the way back through the rig as the toad took the hole on the chin. Bam, on a dam good Michelin. You could hear me cursing the next state over, now the toad's driver side mirror was showing up in the rig driver side mirror 3 inches. It destroyed that tire & now it is tracking 3 inches to the drivers side.

I saved the rig, but lost the toad tire, getting to the point. A rig in dually has to have a perfectly matched set of tires on the dually. They have to be the exact same size, if you get destruction on one of the dually, either the front tire & rim moves to the back dually (all purchased at same time) - same wear. Then replace front tire with new tire as it is not part of the rear dually, and does not matter the wear running in a single up front.

That is why all the rims on a Rig will fit anywhere else on the rig.

Dually's in the rear must run on all 4 tires of the same age & wear.

Dually's have to be a matched set, all 4. Fronts, take the replacement tires.
-----------------------

All that said, and I understand the concept of the "bud" wheels, TELL the tire shop to take the front tire and move it to the rear "Aluminum wheel" (in your case steel wheel) of the dually. Then put the replacement tire on the "Aluminum wheel" on the front.

Then you won't have scratched up Alcoa rims like I have from the previous owner.

And a matched set in the dully.