Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2022, 02:48 PM   #1

Health Insurance

We started fulltiming about 6 months ago and are loving the lifestyle. My husband has health insurance through his employer and I am on a short term plan as of right now. I am looking for a regular health plan that will cover preventative along with the regular things. Has anyone used RVer Insurance Exchange for health insurance quotes? Any other information or suggestions would be great as well.
LorieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2022, 03:24 PM   #2

Domicile State?

Which one you are using limits Nationwide Coverage Options unless you are on Medicare
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 03:31 PM   #3

Are you under 65? or are you eligible for Medicare?
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 09:48 AM   #4

Currently our domicile is Indiana. I am 50 years old so still have a while before medicare. My short term plan does access doctors nationwide but need a healthplan with preventive care.
Old 01-26-2022, 12:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorieK View Post
Currently our domicile is Indiana. I am 50 years old so still have a while before medicare. My short term plan does access doctors nationwide but need a healthplan with preventive care.
I did a quick check of available Affordable Care Act (ACA or "Obamacare") plans using Healthsherpa.com and a Warsaw, IN ZIP code of 46580. When it got to your income level, I put in a very high amount to see how much you would pay without any subsidy.

The health plans ranged from about $550 to $850 and these were HMO and EPO plans, so they probably do NOT have national networks. Nevertheless, you should check them out.

Your best bet is to spend "quality" time in a state that offers national health care networks. Last I checked, these were AK, AL, AR, CA, FL, ND, and WY. For full time RVers, I think FL is your best bet because of the nationwide health plans (EPOs) the state offers, and FL has Escapees mail service.

AK and WY might also be attractive to RVers because they also don't have state taxes. Also, from my limited checking, in 2022 all these states, except WY, saw increases in health care plan prices. FL had the largest increase of 3 to 13% while WY saw a 2% decrease in price.

Finally, the ACA considers where you actually reside as the criteria for choosing a health plan. Some full time RVers think that automatically means their domicile. Not necessarily so. For example, if you use FL as your domicile, but never stay there, then you would be foolish to get a FL ACA plan (which, BTW, still have nationwide networks).

On the other hand, the ACA allows you to change plans as you move around (see ACA SEP Requirements). However, be careful using this provision as I think your deductible gets reset when you change plans.
Old 01-26-2022, 01:06 PM   #6

FTng........FL Domicile for Nationwide Coverage
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 07:50 AM   #7

Thank you for the great information. We are just starting to research domicilies. We move month to month except for the winter months (about 3 months) that we stay in one place. This will be Florida some years and Arizona other years. Does this still qualify me to get insurance in Florida if we make that our domicile? My husband has his insurance through his employer in Indiana, is he still able to keep that if we choose a different state for domicile?
Old 01-27-2022, 08:10 AM   #8

Quote:
We move month to month except for the winter months (about 3 months) that we stay in one place. This will be Florida some years and Arizona other years. Does this still qualify me to get insurance in Florida if we make that our domicile?
Again, it's where you actually reside, not domicile, that matters with the ACA.

Just figure out how to spend some time in FL every year.

Quote:
My husband has his insurance through his employer in Indiana, is he still able to keep that if we choose a different state for domicile?
Check with HIS insurance company.
Old 02-01-2022, 09:37 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Quote:
Thank you for the great information. We are just starting to research domicilies. We move month to month except for the winter months (about 3 months) that we stay in one place. This will be Florida some years and Arizona other years. Does this still qualify me to get insurance in Florida if we make that our domicile? My husband has his insurance through his employer in Indiana, is he still able to keep that if we choose a different state for domicile?
We changed our state of residency in 2021 to South Dakota. Wife is a retired schoolteacher from Ohio. When wife needs a doctor for things it is generally out of network.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 04:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Has anyone used RVer Insurance Exchange for health insurance quotes?
If you're looking for insurance anywhere but the Obamacare ACA Exchange website, you need to be very very clear that what you want is major medical insurance as most people understand it (pay a premium, and coverage is subject to deductibles and/or copays), and that it must include preventative care.

I'd suggest that you take a look at this discussion from two years ago, about a plan that was offered by RVer Insurance Exchange, to see some of the possible issues when buying "health insurance":
https://www.rvnetwork.com/topic/1381...lth-insurance/

Anything you buy on the Obamacare ACA Exchange will be major medical insurance that includes preventative coverage. Policies of this type exist off the exchange, but many times what's called "health insurance" is actually an indemnity plan, which isn't insurance as most of us understand it. So you have to be really careful when shopping anywhere other than the Exchange.

Quote:
My husband has his insurance through his employer in Indiana, is he still able to keep that if we choose a different state for domicile?
Ask the employer. But also, have you checked to see if his insurance policy covers him outside the local area? It will for emergencies, but for preventive care, too? You want to make sure that it doesn't have only a local network.

Quote:
The health plans ranged from about $550 to $850 and these were HMO and EPO plans, so they probably do NOT have national networks.
But Florida Blue Cross plans are EPOs, and they have a nationwide network. The problem arises from the network, not from being an EPO. Some EPOs have nationwide networks, and some PPOs have only local networks. As far as I know, all HMOs have local networks, and are therefore unsuitable for fulltimers who want to be covered for non-emergency care wherever they travel.

That said, the EPO plans in that zip code are Ambetter, which offers policies in only certain states, which do happen to include Indiana and Arizona. But, will an Ambetter plan from Indiana cover you for non-emergency care in Arizona? I've never seen anything that says it will, and before I relied on it, I'd get in writing from two different Ambetter sources. But if it did and if Ambetter will cover you in any state where it offers policies, it might work if those states coincide with your travel plans. BUT you need to be a thousand percent sure it will cover you in those states.

Quote:
For example, if you use FL as your domicile, but never stay there, then you would be foolish to get a FL ACA plan (which, BTW, still have nationwide networks).

On the other hand, the ACA allows you to change plans as you move around
LorieK said she generally stays a month wherever she goes, and stays put for three months in the winter. If she's in Arizona right now, and is leaving in six weeks to travel to the Pacific Northwest, staying a month in each place along the way, before returning to Arizona for next winter, should she be changing her insurance every month, to match where she's actually residing?
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 08:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
LorieK said she generally stays a month wherever she goes, and stays put for three months in the winter. If she's in Arizona right now, and is leaving in six weeks to travel to the Pacific Northwest, staying a month in each place along the way, before returning to Arizona for next winter, should she be changing her insurance every month, to match where she's actually residing?
We've been down this road before.

What do YOU think?
Old 02-05-2022, 02:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
We've been down this road before.
Yes we have, and every time I've offered up a hypothetical situation, you've refused to offer a solution. But this time it's an actual person.

How should LorieK handle health insurance? You said she needs to spend some time in Florida every year. What if she's not going to be anywhere near Florida? What should she do?
Old 02-05-2022, 08:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
How should LorieK handle health insurance? You said she needs to spend some time in Florida every year. What if she's not going to be anywhere near Florida? What should she do?
According to Loriek . . .

Quote:
We move month to month except for the winter months (about 3 months) that we stay in one place. This will be Florida some years and Arizona other years.
Using this FAQ on SEP Requirements (Dept. of Health & Human Services, 2016) as a guide (see Q11), it looks like LorieK could chose ACA health plans in either FL or AZ. This is based on her stated intent to reside in both states.

However, if LorieK never actually manages to return to FL because it wasn't in her "plans" or whatever, then LorieK should not use FL for ACA health plans.

Now it's your turn, oatmeal.
Old 02-06-2022, 11:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
However, if LorieK never actually manages to return to FL because it wasn't in her "plans" or whatever, then LorieK should not use FL for ACA health plans.
But when does "never" happen? She has to pick something in real life, now.

Tags
insurance