RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-06-2020, 03:41 PM   #1

Help, I'm having a hard time "pulling the trigger"

My wife and I have been researching what it takes to go full-time and we've received many helpful comments from this group, thank you.

My problem is, we both want to go full-time and the first thing we need to purchase is a new tow vehicle. Once we purchase the tow vehicle, we're committed, no turning back. So, I'll admit, I'm nervous about buying the tow vehicle.

Is it just me or were others also nervous about committing to going full-time? How did you finally get over it and commit?

thanks

DMacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2020, 04:14 PM   #2

No, we weren't nervous; just excited. We decided and left town and sold everything all within 3 months time.

What are your fears? That's what you need to work on or this isn't going to work for you. Hope you can conquer them. Does your wife feel the same as you? You can't go into it thinking "I'll try it for a year" or whatever. It takes a year to get in the groove. You have to be positive about the whole thing... not trying it out.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 04:56 PM   #3

We weren't nervous either. We spent a year and a half doing "most time" to make sure the lifestyle was what we wanted. When we were away from the house, we didn't miss it, but we did worry about it. Things like plumbing leaks, or break ins, or rodent infestations kept popping into our minds. We were happy to finally sell the house and go gallivanting.
Old 06-06-2020, 07:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chindog View Post
We weren't nervous either. We spent a year and a half doing "most time" to make sure the lifestyle was what we wanted. When we were away from the house, we didn't miss it, but we did worry about it. Things like plumbing leaks, or break ins, or rodent infestations kept popping into our minds. We were happy to finally sell the house and go gallivanting.
Same here we never missed the house but did miss the camper. We cannot wait, just got our tow vehicle and waiting for 5th wheel to be built. Get plenty of truck.
Old 06-06-2020, 08:01 PM   #5

We are and have been both nervous and excited. We've made the biggest purchase of our lives, retired to a significantly less fixed income, will list our house of 28 years next week, and have been downsizing a lifetime of stuff for the last 6 months. The excitement can make you feel like a kid again, or a newlywed, sometimes disoriented, and yes often really nervous. Believe in yourself you've got backup plans, you'll be ok.
RVific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:06 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
If the tow vehicle is the major "no going back" concern, full timing may not be your thing.....
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:13 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Nope no problem for us but maybe the bottle of good Dominican Rum at the time helped
It is a big leap but if you are prepared you will be fine.
Good luck!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:20 PM   #8

I had been retired....3 yrs lated she finally retired

We looked at each other and said 'Lets Hit The Road'
Ordered the truck...ordered the 5th wheel and 7 weeks later did our first shake dwn cruise .....3 months later we were On the Road FT (had an estate auction and sold everything/45 escrow----done!)

Nervous was NOT what we felt
Excitement, relief and FREEDOM were what we felt.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:40 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Help, I'm having a hard time "pulling the trigger"

D..... youíre not clear as to whether or not you already own the RV, be it TT or 5th. Iím also not sure why the truck purchase should be your point of no return. If something changes you can just sell the damn truck and return to square one.
You donít say whether you two have any amount of RVing experience prior to all your research into fulltiming. Itís not essential, but it can alter your perspective.
One thing you DO need is the self confidence to know that you 1) can succeed at this full time thing, and 2) if circumstances change (and they can) you will be able to effect a withdrawal.

ďIf you think you can do a thing, or you think you canít do a thing, youíre right.Ē
ó- Henry Ford
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 05:42 AM   #10

Smile Thanks for the replies

First off, thank you all for the replies. Trust me, my wife and I are both excited about going full-time. I think my concerns are a combination of many things. I'm a very logical person and think things through. I've been researching for the past 8 months everything we need to do just to prepare to go full-time. Things like, storage space, sell contents of house, sell house, setup our domicile, figure out internet connectivity, what RV to purchase, insurance, tow vehicle......). So I think I'm just over-whelmed.

I did say in my original post that once we buy the tow vehicle we're committed. I do realize if something changes we could just sell the vehicle, but I'd rather not take the hit and loose a ton of money. I really don't need a F350 DRW diesel for a grocery getter

I think I'll be ok once we actually get more organized and actually start the process and get some of the prep work completed.

The actual RV living does not concern me. We both realize it won't be all fun and games and there will be break downs and other issues, but we believe the benefits and freedom out weight the hard times.

Hope to see ya'll in a campground sometime in the future.

thanks
Dan
Old 06-07-2020, 06:11 AM   #11

I am a little confused here. You are buying a tow vehicle that will tow a camper that you have not decided what it will be yet. Sounds like you haven't completely thought the whole process through. Are you not buying the camper until after the house is gone ? Do you have any experience with an RV ? Are you planning to stay long term in places or travel more and shorter stays ? Many questions and decisions to be made here.
We elected not to sell the sticks and bricks and have a place to return to. That works for us, wife has her base and I have my workshop and tools, family is close by and we come and go whenever we want. There is something to be said for holidays at home with family. Like I said, works for us, not for everyone. JMHO
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy-c View Post
I am a little confused here. You are buying a tow vehicle that will tow a camper that you have not decided what it will be yet. Sounds like you haven't completely thought the whole process through. Are you not buying the camper until after the house is gone ? Do you have any experience with an RV ? Are you planning to stay long term in places or travel more and shorter stays ? Many questions and decisions to be made here.
We elected not to sell the sticks and bricks and have a place to return to. That works for us, wife has her base and I have my workshop and tools, family is close by and we come and go whenever we want. There is something to be said for holidays at home with family. Like I said, works for us, not for everyone. JMHO
We've decided on a F350 DWR diesel to pull a 43' Grand Design 397TH. We plan on buying the tow vehicle and RV before we sell the house to give us time to make some short "checkout" trips and learn. At this point our plan is to say about 3 weeks per location, knowing that things can and will change.

Yes I'm aware there are many things to consider, I have a 15 page document full of notes, items to purchase, how to's, and specs on vehicles and RV's that I've put together, too many things to list here. To say I haven't thought through the process is not correct, but I do appreciate your input.
Old 06-07-2020, 08:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Trust me, my wife and I are both excited about going full-time.
As a fellow deep dive researcher I think you've hit the point of, What have I forgotten or overlooked. The fear of a big unknown issue or item biting you in the rump is stalling you from pulling trigger. If you truly have decided that you will be going full time, that you will adjust and overcome issues and that the quote above is true then execute your plan.
Old 06-07-2020, 09:47 AM   #14

For us, the biggest hurdle to going full time was figuring out a home base if things got bad and a solid exit plan when we can't do it any more. For us, the home base is owning an RV lot in FL. (It's already paid off in this pandemic.)
Once you have a solid plan, actually doing it is easy.

Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote