Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2012, 05:31 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Help with TOAD

We have a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee , 2WD and we want to tow it behind a 32 foot MH .
Does anyone have any ideas on how to do that ?
Can it be done ?
The manual says no towing , but we were told you could disconnect the drive shaft .
HELP PLEASE !
Is the only option a trailer ?
carahsue
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2012, 06:11 AM   #2

Disconnect the drive shaft or install the Remco lube pump and it will tow 4 down like any other.
2011 - 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee | Remco Towing
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The Jeep owners manual will only tell you if it is towable "as is". It's not, so removing the drive shaft is one option, but when you get to a campground and need to unhook, you'll be trying to reinstall your drive shaft while others might be waiting for you and most will not be patient. I'd check into a Remco trans pump or trailer. With a 32 ft coach you might want to check the weight limits of your hitch also.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:05 PM   #4

As stated above Remco and others can provide the necessary mods to your Jeep GC. Their drive shaft disconnect might be electrical or manual but either will be better than physically disconnecting the drive shaft. Your GC probably weighs in at about 5,000 lbs so it may well be heavier than what the MH is rated to tow. Good luck, hope all works for you.
Poptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:38 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
TOAD

We finally made a choice and got an 18 foot trailer with electric brakes.
It is a lot more enjoyable ,sitting in the passenger seat , instead of driving !
I drive the Jeep onto the trailer and I am through .( except for giving directions )

Life is GREAT when all is well !!!

Hope everyone is having as much fun as we are !!
carahsue
Old 06-21-2012, 04:08 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the curb weight (empty weight) on your toad is around 4500lbs. What does your trailer weigh? (My 15' trailer weighed 1300lbs.) If you have the rig I think you have, your rated towing capacity is 5000lbs with a tongue weight rating of 500lbs.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:22 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by retmotor View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the curb weight (empty weight) on your toad is around 4500lbs. What does your trailer weigh? (My 15' trailer weighed 1300lbs.) If you have the rig I think you have, your rated towing capacity is 5000lbs with a tongue weight rating of 500lbs.
That's right, and it's what I stated in my earlier post. Did you check your tow capacity?
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the info. We checked our owners and operators manual's and they said our 2005 ,35' Winnebago Voyage could tow up to 10,000 lbs. with a tongue weight of 500 lbs.
The hitch also says 10,000 and 500 lbs.
We are going to get it weighed in a couple of days , just to be on the safe side .
Also found out that our two wheel drive Jeep can be towed with rear wheels on a dolly and will go that way if we have to .
Love our Motorhome , Jeep and camping , will make it work somehow !
Smile !!
Old 06-22-2012, 11:23 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Yours is a newer rig than most I have I looked at, but that seems like a lot of weight for a gasser.

When I go to Winnebago online and download the PDF for 2005 Voyage, I get this from page 15-4:

CAR OR TRAILER TOWING
Transmission: 5-speed
Hitch: Class III
Max. Pulling Capacity: 5,000 lbs.
Max. Vertical (Tongue) Weight: 500 lbs.

And on page 1-2 for the Ford chassis it shows a GCWR of 26,000 lbs and a GVWR of 20,500 lbs, a difference of 5,500 lbs. For the Workhorse chassis is shows of either 26,000/22,000, a difference of 4000 lbs, or 30,000/24,000, a difference of 6000 lbs.

I must have your rig wrong, sorry for the confusion and I'm glad it all worked out for you.

Tags
toad