Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2020, 10:39 AM   #1

Higher electrical pull?

Hey guys. So me and my wife have been living in our travel trailer for over a year now. We pretty much gutted a lot of bigger things we knew we weren't going to use like the stove and oven, the AC.. So we brought the electrical usage right down before we even set foot in it.
So now we have just bought a new compact fridge. Nothing huge. 4.5cu ft. But since we have had this thing in here it seems to be sapping electricity from our space heater. Seems to.. So im just wondering if there's anyway of upping the amount of electricity that ive got coning into the trailer from the outlet we're plugged into. Im not top savvy with the whole electrical side of things so if there's some kind of transformer or something im not aware of.. But it just seems like we should be getting more from the power coming into the trailer considering there are hardly any larger appliances in here.. Our biggest electricity consumers are probably a hot plate that we use to cook (not plugged in constantly), the fridge, slow cooker which isnt plugged in 24/7 either.. Space heater which is probably going to ve running pretty constantly now that the cold has arrived.. Which is the main reason why im looking into this.. Dont want to get to mid november and start dealing with new space heaters but no power getting to them in the cold dead of night. I believe im at a 30a spot, as i think 50a spots you pay more for at the park here..
sadge1501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2020, 11:02 AM   #2

Wow... 30Amp source is way more than enough for a conventional space heater... do you not have a factory propane furnace? Seems they are much cheaper as a fuel source, and use much less electricity to run. RV fridges usually do well on propane as well... One possible reason could be your 30A power cable... not up to the task due to corrosion or bad connections. Alternately the wiring in your trailer may also need inspection for bad connections, wrong gauge wiring or corrosion. You need to find the "weak link" in your power source, when you do, your issues will be resolved.
CARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARS View Post
Wow... 30Amp source is way more than enough for a conventional space heater....
I would disagree. The 30 amp service is a horrible design. It is very prone to overload. I don't know if the OP has a 50 amp service and is just plugging into 30 to save money. If not they might not have much choice.

One thing that can be done is get an electric heater with variable wattage. I believe mine is 600/800 or 1400, and 600 has been fine for us so far, but we haven't been in real cold weather, and we mainly use it at night when sleeping (so lower inside temps).

But regardless one thing that needs to be done when using a 30 amp service is limit what you use at the same time. So if you're going to be running the crock pot, hair dryer or the microwave, etc. turn off the electric heater and other high draw items. And use propane rather than electric to heat hot water (or at least have it turned off when the microwave or crock pot are on).
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:59 AM   #4

You can buy a kill a watt meter and see how much is actually being drawn. I would suggest this as a first step. Look at your electric hook up, are you a 30 amp hooked up to a 15/20 amp house. A lot of variables to look at before you worry about the trailer side.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:04 PM   #5

A 1500 watt heater, the biggest one with a standard plug, draws 12.5 amps. Less then 1/2 of your 30 amp supply. And that's on High.
The small fridge draws about 1 amp. If your also using the original gas/electric fridge, that will draw 4 or 5 amps.

If you have a converter/charger, that will draw 1 to 2 amps to power the RV lights and pumps. If your charging a bad battery with it, that can get the draw up to 6 to 8 amps. Try it without the battery.

Are you use in a 30 amp RV cord to connect to shore power or a cheap extension cord ? That will make a big difference.

Using a 50 amp outlet to a 30 amp RV isn't going to give you more power unless the parks power is bad where you are.

Go buy a Kill A Watt meter, and plug it in to any outlet, to see what voltage your getting inside.

Watts ÷ by volts ( 120 ) = amps. Look at your electric items, they all list watts.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
I would disagree. The 30 amp service is a horrible design. It is very prone to overload. I don't know if the OP has a 50 amp service and is just plugging into 30 to save money. If not they might not have much choice.

One thing that can be done is get an electric heater with variable wattage. I believe mine is 600/800 or 1400, and 600 has been fine for us so far, but we haven't been in real cold weather, and we mainly use it at night when sleeping (so lower inside temps).

But regardless one thing that needs to be done when using a 30 amp service is limit what you use at the same time. So if you're going to be running the crock pot, hair dryer or the microwave, etc. turn off the electric heater and other high draw items. And use propane rather than electric to heat hot water (or at least have it turned off when the microwave or crock pot are on).
I have a 30 amp RV and run the convection/microwave oven, 5000 BTU AC, 55 amp converter/charger, gas/electric fridge on electric, and even use a small K Cup coffee maker.

We have never overloaded and tripped any breakers.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:09 PM   #7
YC1

Welcome to the forum:

If the refer is sapping the power from the space heater and the refer is a residential/apartment type it should draw very little power.

Do you notice a change in the space heater output/fan operation when the refer is running?

If so, what and how are you supplying power to the rv. It sounds like your cord, plug, or post you are plugged into is wimping out.

The space heater could draw 10-15 amps by itself depending on size and settings of course. So a refer compressor and a big space heater could get close to 20 amps at times.

Feel your power cord plug and the outlet it is connected to for any signs of heat build up. Those plugs can deteriorate from heat over time and start dropping power.

I know you are new to the forum and posting pictures can be a bit tricky but now is a good time to learn. I would be very interested in seeing your shoreline cord and connections.

If you are trying to survive severe cold you need to really insulated things. Windows are very important of course and if possible some sort of skirting around the bottom. When boondocking I have used tarps connected to the bottom of the trailer all around and it made a huge difference.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:18 PM   #8

Welcome to iRV2.

Your 30 amp service should provide enough to get by on running the fridge and heater , PROVIDED they are on separate circuits inside the trailer .
An electric heater , most are 1500 watts on high , will draw 12.5 to 13 amps of power when heating , and your trailer internal circuits are only 15 amp. So it doesn't take much more of a load on the circuit , to trip the circuit breaker.
Go to your circuit breaker panel , for every circuit , turn the breaker off , then go through the trailer and map out every outlet that goes dead with the breaker. If you don't have a multi-meter to do this , 120 volt light or corded drill will do.

Once you have every outlet mapped , then make sure your fridge and heater are not on the same breaker , and for that matter ANY other load is on the same circuit as the heater.
Well , maybe a digital clock would be ok .
Old 10-25-2020, 12:22 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
No there is not trick to getting more amps. You need to do an inventory of your big amp user.

With 30 amp service in the cold winter. We would run a 1500W heater and a 750W heater, turn both our water heater and fridge to propane. If we forgot to turn off the 750W heater and did coffee and toast we would trip the breaker

My old 30A camper:

AC unit:~25 A
AC Heating Coil option: 1500W ~14.5 A
Space Heater: 750W or 1500W ~ 7.25A or 14.5A
Elec Water Heater element: 1500W ~14.5 A
Fridge on AC about 300w ~2.5A
DC converter: ~0A to 4A max

others:
toaster
coffee maker
microwave
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:14 PM   #10

Yeh I'm not sure of the procedure to upload pics. I dont know what a shoreline cable/connection is. We are at a 30a spot at an rv park. We have no propane to run off. The trailer is pretty basic. We bought it for 1200bucks and spent a few hundred making it liveable inside. We're vegan so we're not huge on cooking meals all the time which is why we threw out alot of things in here. I haven't got a clue whether this trailer has a battery let alone where its located.. I assume it doesnt considering when the trailer wasnt hooked up nothing works.. But we've been in the same spot for over a year now so we've never needed to have a battery or know where it is. Im planning on plasticking up the windows outside to help with insulation as last year our windows iced up big time haha. The heater we use is so i find it hard to believe that were reaching our limit on electrical output.. We have some fuses out so i need to get some of those. But if someone could walk me through how to get pics here then i think that will help you guys to better help me! Thanks already guys, lots of great info so far.
sadge1501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:11 AM   #11
YC1

Just a quick note. Shoreline is a nautical term I believe. A boat tied to a dock uses a "shoreline cord" to supply power to the boat.

An RV something that floats around the country and is tied up often to a (post), dock and uses the power cord/shoreline cord for connection.

Old 10-27-2020, 07:14 AM   #12
YC1

I copied this.

How to add photos to a post
Click Quick Reply and scroll down to bottom of text box.
Click Go Advanced, add text to message window and then scroll down.
Click Manage Attachments. A separate window will pop up.
Click Browse... then select the file to be uploaded. Be sure that the photo is appropriately sized. 620 x 620 pixels (or smaller) and no more than 100K. Forums software will automatically reduce the size, but smaller size photos will upload much faster. You may select several photos to upload at the same time by repeating the last step.
Click Upload. After pics have loaded, close the pop-up window.
Click Submit Reply to post the text of your message - photos will automatically appear at the bottom of your post.
You can also:
Click Post Reply or, if starting a new thread, click New Thread
Click on the paperclip symbol in the top row of the message box. A separate window will pop up.
Click Browse...then select the file to be uploaded. Be sure that the photo is appropriately sized. 620 x 620 pixels (or smaller) and no more than 100K. Forums software will automatically reduce the size, but smaller size photos will upload much faster. You may select several photos to upload at the same time by repeating the last step.
Click Upload. After pics have loaded, close the pop-up window.
Click Submit Reply (if you are replying) or Submit New Thread (if a new discussion) to post the text of your message - photos will automatically appear at the bottom of your post.

NOTE: Forum and Classified software will display photos in the original orientation in which they were taken. If a photo was taken in landscape (sideways) mode, it will display sideways in a post or ad, even if you have it stored in portrait (upright) mode on your device. Use a photo editing or snipping tool to save a copy of the photo in portrait (upright) orientation and upload that copy (not the original) in your post/ad.
About attachment storage limits

When you upload a copy of an image file (or other attachment) it is stored on our servers. There are some restrictions on how much data can be stored.

Registered members are limited to 500 MB of attachment storage for items posted to threads and posts and 100 MB for files posted to the photo gallery. We highly recommend that you reduce file sizes before uploading them to posts and threads.

Contributing members have unlimited attachment storage for threads and posts. A contributing membership is an annual commitment. If a contributing membership reverts to a standard account, loaded images will still remain, but if you have exceeded the storage limits of a standard member account (500 MB), you may be unable to load more attachments. And remember ... all images loaded to posts (regardless of your membership status) must meet the size requirement above. If they are larger, they will fail to load.

How to embed an image stored on another site:
You can do this by using image tags. Upload the image to a service like imageshack and then copy the URL of the image and put that between [IMG] tags. That will work well, as long as the host site stays in business and doesn't disable your image for overuse of bandwidth etc.

You can also paste in the location of a photo stored here in a photo gallery.

To do this: Paste the url of the image from our photo gallery into your post. Then add the following code on either side of the url (with no extra spaces):

[IMG]url here[/IMG]

The image will appear where the url was in your text.

Wash your hands, flatten the curve - we can do this!

Tags
electric, electrical