Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2022, 05:32 AM   #99

It’s interesting. There are posts that say you’ll always find a spot you’ll never be turned away when you are large and have a huge trailer. Sure, they may always find A spot. That spot may have taken many calls to all the parks near them and a few hours to find. But they found a spot.
I’m 36’ with a small towed. I’ve run into situations I could not find a spot where I would fit or I’d have to unhook. For an overnight I don’t unhook. Gas stations ARE a problem for larger vehicles. Maybe no so much if you are diesel and like to overpay at truck stops.
To the OP just be careful and read between the lines in some responses.
Evaluate how you will travel and compare to others that post. Ask more questions. It will open your eyes to more pros and cons and give you a better foundation to make a decision.
I plan on downsizing very soon as I am just too big for my way of travel.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2022, 01:03 PM   #100

We have been full time since 2016. Started in a 44’ and downsized to 38’ one year ago.

Despite what many have wrote about always finding an RV park that fits our experience has been the opposite which is the main reason we downsized.

W does the reservations and many times she got frustrated calling parks who either had no spaces for big rigs at all or only had a few allocated but were booked. On the flip side sometimes we would get into a park that had MANY spaces that could take a large RV but the park didn’t recognize that and restricted reservations to smaller units.

You have to consider what type of traveling you want to do.

Wife REALLY likes state and national parks and the reality is few can take big rigs. True, most have commercial parks that can accommodate big rigs nearby but we (read:the wife) want to stay inside these parks.

I do miss some of the big rig features like the half bath, tag axle, and more HP, but the maneuverability and park availability make up for that.
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 11:17 AM   #101

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Roy View Post
Also insurance is cheaper in SD.

...Or so I thought, too. We are full timers and are Florida 'residents' because of my wife's health insurance needs. When we 'mo 100ved' there from Washington, we suffered from auto insurance sticker shock. Since she is finally going to be old enough for Medicare, I started auto insurance premium shopping. According to an agent I spoke to, of the big 3 (FL, TX, SD), Florida is the least expensive now. I also checked Washington and Tennessee. They are higher, too.

For now, we remain in Florida. Plus, as someone said, registrations are crazy cheap compared to Texas or Washington.
mrschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 02:53 PM   #102

Fleetwood Owners Club
Go big for full timing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
If you're going to go full time then as big as you can afford would be my opinion. Also, don't overlook the advantage of 1 & 1/2 bath floorplans.
I totally agree with T T. We have owned 3/4 RV’s in the 12+ years. Started tents then grew into a nice Coleman pop up. Loved it but put 3 to 4 days in stormy weather with my2 large fur kids. One freezing night in April high on a mountain the water hose froze, heat was almost non existent kids were cold and tried to sleep with us We bought a well cared for used Fleetwood “Exotic nature” She was a taste of “this is how to travel.” Travel we did some of the finest moments in our life. Later on we went full timing 8/12 months yearly and needed:

1. More storage!
2. Torque is king! Cummins ISL8.9….1200 ft. Lbs.
3. Bath and a half… a goldmine for happy wife! Kids, two border collies,had room to roam and found their multiple sleeping spots.
4. Spartan chassis… not a problem ever. TAG AXLE, what a huge difference in handling. Never exhausted unless pushing 900 miles in 24 hour period.
5. Became disabled via cancer and heart problems.
Just sold my” FW 42 M “ Great coach and memories I will take with me on the other side of the rainbow bridge.
6. Sold her to the first buyer at a good price for me and the new owner.

Wish I had not run out time.
“Time is short, very short,…..just do it….go big or stay home with your sticks and brick. Best wishes.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 11:35 PM   #103

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Hey Dude!! We also have a 1st Gen Toaster..or is it now called a toadster??
Mr. S Sore…. A mild correction. The first generation toaster is the Honda Element! All others are wannabes. [emoji23]
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 05:43 AM   #104

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My low tech observation is check how much room you have in a Class A with all the slides in. Some are easier to walk to the bathroom or bedroom, refer, etc.

For some reason, some sales people like to show you the rig with slides out and it looks very spacious.

Good luck in your search!
FloridaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 08:28 PM   #105

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Mr. S Sore…. A mild correction. The first generation toaster is the Honda Element! All others are wannabes. [emoji23]
Sorry.... NOPE, I'll keep the Toyota... The Element is quite a bit larger on the outside and seem smaller on the inside.. BTW.. the 1st gen xA and xB's are just a re-bodied Toyota Echo.. The 2nd gen are based on the larger Corolla chassis..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 08:54 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phattwoohie View Post
Can someone tell me anything negative about buying a large RV that I might not be thinking of, other than some parks restrict them?

My wife and I are considering many options for our beginning adventure into full time RV'ing. One question keeps coming up between us is how big do we really want to go when making our first RV purchase? I only have limited exposure to RV's in that my Aunt and Uncle own one, but they only take it out a few times a year. They advised me that some camp grounds restrict based on size.

My wife wants the largest thing possible if we are gonna full time as we currently live in a very large home and she likes her space. I looked at some large 40 foot 5th wheels and also the large Class A's.
I'm comfortable driving anything as I drove an 18 wheeler cross country for multiple years in my younger life. I got very used to pulling a 53 foot box trailer. Although I have not driven one for nearly 20 years now, I didn't forget how, so the actual handling of a large vehicle does not concern or scare me.

What comes to your mind when full timing in a large vehicle? You really have that much trouble finding parking? I'm not afraid to boondock it if I have to for a night or 2 in a pinch.
Bigger is better unless you plan to live off the grid. If your plan is to stay in RV parks go for more space. Especially if you're going to live in it full time or near. Another big plus to larger, they drive and ride much better than the smaller coaches. If you plan to travel the country, ride and drive will matter.
bhammond1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 11:07 PM   #107

I really wish those that create a post would return to let us know if any of this chatter has helped in any way.

He made his post on July 20 and has had 106 replies and not a word from him.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 12:36 PM   #108

Fleetwood Owners Club
Full timer RV’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I really wish those that create a post would return to let us know if any of this chatter has helped in any way.

He made his post on July 20 and has had 106 replies and not a word from him.
I know. The members on these “helpful” opinions with practical experience do offer a wealth “been there, maybe a good or bad decision.” A follow up on whether we helped would be appreciated.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 02:52 PM   #109

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaSon View Post
My low tech observation is check how much room you have in a Class A with all the slides in. Some are easier to walk to the bathroom or bedroom, refer, etc.

For some reason, some sales people like to show you the rig with slides out and it looks very spacious.

Good luck in your search!
So how much time do you spend in your RV with the slides in? The reason they show them with the slides out is because that is how you'll spend 99% of your time inside them, unless you're packing up and moving every day. All I care about is that I can get through and do what I want with the slides in so that's low on my priority list.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 03:29 PM   #110

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
So how much time do you spend in your RV with the slides in? The reason they show them with the slides out is because that is how you'll spend 99% of your time inside them, unless you're packing up and moving every day. All I care about is that I can get through and do what I want with the slides in so that's low on my priority list.
This for me also . As long as I can get to the fridge and the toilet. I don’t need to dance while I get there. Turning sideways with a shuffle is fine. It should be a quick trip as I dont allow people up walking around for long while moving. Get it done and sit down! Wide slides for nice furniture makes for a narrow walkway. We don’t spend a lot of time in “parking lot camping” . We do spend a couple days at a campground relaxing.. slides out ��
As a truck driver I witnessed the aftermath of a mh no slides that crashed into a truck in a sudden dust storm. She was up and was killed. (Hit the dash and window hard ) He died later from injuries from the cabinets that hit him from behind as they came off the walls. He might have fared better with a slide out wall behind his seat. Who knows.
Old 08-05-2022, 03:54 PM   #111

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I agree with you but since it may (or may not) be important to the OP, I mentioned it.
FloridaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 01:35 PM   #112
jrs

In our opinion go big, we're glad we have 43'9", 1.5baths, king sized bed, stacked washer and dryer, dish washer, etc..... Also know a younger couple who full time in a nice pickup bed camper and love it.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote