Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:58 AM   #1

How easy/difficult transitioning from S&B to MH?

For all you full timers, I have a question. Transitioning from long showers, washing dishes, and all the things we take for granted in a home, how easy or difficult is it to change these things to conserve water etc.? I have never camped or spent much time in an RV and jumping into living in a MH will take some getting used to. Any ideas or suggestions?
katyscarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2014, 08:29 PM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
Hi Scarlett, just jump and tell yourself that it is soooo much fun. Read all the Escapees mags that you can find.
WAGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:38 PM   #3

Do like we have; parked the motorhome next to the house and stayed in it for several weeks while getting the S&B ready. Gave us time to sort out what we really,needed and what goes,where based on how often we use it.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 05-07-2014, 10:11 PM   #4

Katy, you just have to start camping. You'd soon get the hang of it.

Conserving water gets to be a game and challenge for us... How long can we go on a tank of water without dumping our tanks? There are so many clever ways to conserve. It makes you realize how wasteful home owners have become - thinking water appears magically and is unlimited.

As for washing dishes, think of it as therapy. Two people really don't have to generate a lot of dishes so it goes fast. Long showers are a thing of the past for us, even if we're hooked up to water. We are so used to conserving (wet down quickly, turn off the water, soap up, rinse quickly) that we don't think of it anymore.

It's just a whole new lifestyle and learning process but it becomes secondhand after a while.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:38 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

It doesn't have to be that much different. It just depends on what you want to do and where you want to go.

We went from the big house to full timing, but we never did any boon docking, so, with hookups we really didn't notice any real difference in how long we could shower, etc.

The real key is to make sure you are best friends with whomever you are sharing the lifestyle with. One can only stay in the shower for so long and the floorspace is a bit limited compared to a stick house.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:30 AM   #6
paz

Requirements for living full-time in an RV:
1. Be best friends with your partner
2. Maintain a sense of humor
3. Be flexible

One other thing DW and I did was to commit to a minimum period for full-timing. In our case it was 2 years. That way, no matter how much one of us complained, the other didn't feel threatened that the adventure would end prematurely before it had a chance to get off the ground. We have now been full-timing for almost 8 years.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:33 AM   #7

For me fulltiming is the best thing I have ever done. The transition has been very smooth, in part thanks to IRV2 and all of the excellent advice you can and will receive on this forum. I am workkamping and love it. Meeting lots of very interesting people and having time to explore the great smokey mtn area. Washing dishes, showers etc minor challenges as compared to the opportunity to see our beautiful country. Hope to do this for as long as I can drive.
RV Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:07 AM   #8

Thanks, all. Just what I wanted to hear. Fortunately (I guess), I'm flying solo and don't need to worry about sharing space except with my T Rex - 11 year old chihuahua. Living in a house does tend to make people wasteful, and I don't have that mindset, so I guess I'm going in the right direction.
Safe and happy travels to all of you.
PS: I agree that this site is amazing and so are the people.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyscarlett View Post
For all you full timers, I have a question. Transitioning from long showers, washing dishes, and all the things we take for granted in a home, how easy or difficult is it to change these things to conserve water etc.? I have never camped or spent much time in an RV and jumping into living in a MH will take some getting used to. Any ideas or suggestions?

I liken motorhome living to a JPEG photo. All the important stuff is there but the excess space is deleted. You will learn with practice how to operate in various situations. If you are boondocking/dry camping then your water/tank space/electric conservation mind set operates. If you are hooked up then not much difference from sticks/bricks. Long showers are fine. Washing dishes for two is no big deal at all.

When you go inside for the evening and the door closes behind you, you are in your own space. When the sun rises on a new day and you open the door, you could be anywhere since you live in a magic carpet.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:04 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I am in the middle of the transition right now. The difficulty for me is all of the work I have to do to get rid of stuff from the house and get it ready to sell. However, simplifying my life is fantastic. The collection of "stuff" and the unnecessary complications we add to our lives can take over. I can't wait to get on with the fulltiming lifestyle.
sadrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:52 AM   #11

Well said Steve. Love the reference to the magic carpet. Richard, my son and I moved from CA to Tx last September and we got rid of LOT of stuff, but still managed to keep a LOT of stuff. Thankfully, most of it is his now. I have weeded out most of my things over the years and now have mostly small stuff which I may or may not store. My goal is to get out there by September of this year, but we shall see. Safe travels to everyone, and Happy Mother's Day to all you mom's out there whether our kids are two legged or four legged.