Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2018, 09:34 AM   #1

How many of you still own property, and do you full time on it?

I keep saying "I'll full time after I retire.." But I wouldn't consider not owning a property to fall back to. Is that cheating? lol That's a big step selling everything that wont fit in your rig!

I bought a mobile home on 1.2 acres in the middle of nowhere with plans to retire there and rent out my current house in Iowa City because of the high taxes mainly..

But the mobile home needs a new roof and this and that.. Utility costs are double compared to my energy efficient house in town with less square footage.

Plans were to break ground and build, but I'm tempted to buy a four seasons 5er instead of updating the mobile home or building a house because I really only need storage and work space. Would my heating and cooling costs go up or down moving from a 1999 16x80 into a for example, a 2005 Teton 36' four seasons 5er under a car port?

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2018, 10:26 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
We were “seasonal” RVers (June - Sept) for many years and finally tired of the hassles associated with having a S&B while we did....yard up-keep, mail, security, utilities, etc...

When we decided to full-time, we elected to sell the house and 85% of the “stuff” we’d accumulated over 56 yrs of marriage....

We haven’t regretted a single thing abt it..... Money’s in the bank accruing interest and when we are ready to come off the road, we’ll pick our new location, rent a 2BR condo in a 55+ community and spend our remaining yrs just chilling.....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:37 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
We were “seasonal” RVers (June - Sept) for many years and finally tired of the hassles associated with having a S&B while we did....yard up-keep, mail, security, utilities, etc...

When we decided to full-time, we elected to sell the house and 85% of the “stuff” we’d accumulated over 56 yrs of marriage....

We haven’t regretted a single thing abt it..... Money’s in the bank accruing interest and when we are ready to come off the road, we’ll pick our new location, rent a 2BR condo in a 55+ community and spend our remaining yrs just chilling.....
How long have you been full time? And how would you decide on where to settle in a condo if you decide to come off the road?
Old 11-11-2018, 12:40 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rerod View Post
I keep saying "I'll full time after I retire.." But I wouldn't consider not owning a property to fall back to. Is that cheating? lol That's a big step selling everything that wont fit in your rig!

I bought a mobile home on 1.2 acres in the middle of nowhere with plans to retire there and rent out my current house in Iowa City because of the high taxes mainly..

But the mobile home needs a new roof and this and that.. Utility costs are double compared to my energy efficient house in town with less square footage.

Plans were to break ground and build, but I'm tempted to buy a four seasons 5er instead of updating the mobile home or building a house because I really only need storage and work space. Would my heating and cooling costs go up or down moving from a 1999 16x80 into a for example, a 2005 Teton 36' four seasons 5er under a car port?

Thanks!
We were going to be part-time but while we were away from sticks & bricks, we worried about power outages causing other issues. Came back, put the house on the market, got rid of most of our stuff, put the rest in storage, and we're now enjoying the country.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lce3 View Post
We were going to be part-time but while we were away from sticks & bricks, we worried about power outages causing other issues. Came back, put the house on the market, got rid of most of our stuff, put the rest in storage, and we're now enjoying the country.
Thanks everyone.

Ice3.. What if you owned the storage property? That's the angle I'm working here because storage rental would cost more than the $450 taxes I pay on "the farm" I call it. My town house is 10X as much!

If my property only had a big enclosed carport for my junk, and a lean to on one side to park a four seasons rig under, I dont think I'd be nervous about leaving it considering little could go wrong other than theft?
Old 11-11-2018, 01:32 PM   #6

Quote:
I know a lot of people who sold/donated nearly everything. I don't know a single one who regretted it.
OregonJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 01:35 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks everyone.

Ice3.. What if you owned the storage property? That's the angle I'm working here because storage rental would cost more than the $450 taxes I pay on "the farm" I call it. My town house is 10X as much!

If my property only had a big enclosed carport for my junk, and a lean to on one side to park a four seasons rig under, I dont think I'd be nervous about leaving it considering little could go wrong other than theft?
That was something we considered. But when we got down to the figuring, some of our things needed to be climate controlled so that would require electric in our storage. Again, worry about power outages - we've had them in rural co-op area as well as suburbs of big city, so it's always possible.

And, yes, there's theft. Anything we put in storage was either irreplaceable or relatively expensive to replace. So we do pay more than I'd like for storage but it's more peace of mind than leaving something sitting unattended while we travel.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:34 PM   #8

Quote:

Thanks!
I retired from a job in PA, put my house on the market two days later and it sold two days later. We hit the road six weeks later after settlement. Granted, we planned for years and went on the road debt free with a pension and investments. I was a little apprehensive about not owning land somewhere, but I now realize that is a matter of your perspective and personal situation (we full time in a 5th wheel). If something goes south and we have to stop, we find a place to rent or stay at a park long term until we decide what to do. There are plenty of parks, especially in the southern states that give a monthly rate and you can stay a while. We are debating the very issue you mention in your post currently. We decided the less money we are spending for something unless we are using it, the better.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:39 PM   #9

Any type of property will bring you full circle back into the maintenance loop. Utilities (water line can freeze even in AZ), insurance, lot maintenance, tree maintenance, real estate taxes, association meetings, dues, politics, requirements etc. It's a question of degree. Obviously a lot with a Texas room is less work and expense than a 5 bedroom house. LOL.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:45 AM   #10

How many of you still own property, and do you full time on it?

I never want to sell our home. We built a small ranch with easy care yard for when we get older. I’ve lived in a condo before and hated it. Too many nosy neighbors in my business.
I like living in the country with neighbors there if I need them, but we don’t bother each other.
My son is a Cummins diesel mechanic. He works on a lot of diesel motor homes. He says all motor homes are junk, except Tiffin. He said he’s seen so many people that sold everything to full time, only to put thousands in their motor home, that depreciates every year.
tundranurse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:59 PM   #11

It really doesn't pay to put stuff in storage. Costs add up and you can buy new. Things get outdated. Also, as you travel you will see so many excellent places to settle downe down when you're ready. It might be in better climate, a smaller town, closer to the kids, better medical facilities, etc. It's like a huge weight lifted from your shoulders to be free of all the 'stuff' that you accumulated over the years and that your heirs wouldn't want to deal with.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:52 AM   #12

Jayco Owners Club
our kids took over the farm and we built a full hook-up on it so we can return when we want. we are on the road most of the year but do like this option. no "stuff" stored at the farm and nothing to maintain. just back in and hook up when we want to. this also gives us a residence for all that legal stuff.
brokenoaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:04 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Personally I like having a S&B to come home to. I get tired of living in the MH after so many weeks an am glad to get home. Just me. We average 3 months a year on the road and that's enough. Course we live well out in the country in the woods on a lake.

We owned a storage facility for several years that we built and eventually sold. I could not believe some of the stuff that people stored. Sentimental junk! One guy had an old pickup that we stored for him for ten years. The cost of storage was way more than the truck was worth.

To each his or her own.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
Personally I like having a S&B to come home to. glad to get home. Just me.

We owned a storage facility for several years that we built and eventually sold. One guy had an old pickup that we stored for him for ten years. The cost of storage was way more than the truck was worth.

To each his or her own.
Great conversation!

I bet that old pickup belonged to his dad. Like my old chevy, I wouldn't trade it for a rocket, like the song goes.. rip

I think it would feel great to shed many belongings.. Many of them are worthless. But I have a few heirlooms I cant sell. Plus, I fix and like fixing most of my own stuff.. I cant travel all over schleping all my tools!

For me, I would always need a "cheap" home base. I'm lucky where every structure on my "farm" could be bull dozed and I wouldn't bother me because low value and the beauty and privacy. Actually, a new start to a structure that maintenance free practically. I just cant make up my mind if I want to dump money into the 16x80 or buy a 4 seasons 5er.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0523.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	572.2 KB
ID:	226730  

Tags
full time