Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-15-2021, 01:35 PM   #1

How much harder or more stressful is it finding campsites now?

Thinking about going fulltime, but wonder if this is the right time because of all of the Newbies now. How much harder and/or stressful is it finding campsites now?

I have heard of people reserving a year or more in advance. This is not something I want to do. I don't want to be on a schedule to be at a certain place on a certain date. That does not sound like fun to me.

I am sure some will recommend boondocking, which I might do a little here and there, but I would prefer to have full hookups or at least electric.

Like to hear from those fulltiming now.

Thanks
Texsinbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2021, 02:24 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Just got home from two months in Florida. Never a reservation... Lots of multi-night state parks, and even the jetty park on "launch night" ...
How?

Rule #1.. Memorize: Life does not always have to be planned to the gnats eyebrow before you go.

Rule #2.. Practice boondocking so that it is a non-stressful thing if you have to resort to it.

Rule #3.. Check with state parks early in the morning.. Get your name on their list.. There are lots of folks who let their reservations go... - and they get snapped up quick!

Click image for larger version

Name:	0209211726.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	321348
Concord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 02:51 PM   #3

Don't judge Florida campsite availability by just this year.
Covid has stopped many folks from camping along with the Canadian border holding back many.

I'm in a park where French was the main language 3 years ago. Not this year, no French and lots of open sites.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 04:11 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
twinboat said:
"I'm in a park where French was the main language 3 years ago."

I think I was in that same park near FT Lauderdale. Would you ever go back to that park?
That's your own asphalt.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 10:52 PM   #5

Weíve been full timing just under 2 years. On our second circle from MI, meandering down through TN, NC, SC, GA, and FL. Then we cut across the southern states to AZ. From AZ itís CA, OR, and across the northern US back to MI.
In just under 2 years weíve only boon-docked 2 nights. Both were by choice and at Cracker Barrelís.
When on the move we typicality use the Allstays app. I usually book a day or 2 in advance and have never had a problem finding places with great ratings and locations. Sometimes we stay in one spot for up to a month. Then we take a week or so to travel to another longer stay destination. That puts us in longer stays about 6 months and 1-4 night stays the other 6 months. Hope that helps.
Old 03-25-2021, 10:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsinbad View Post
Thinking about going fulltime, but wonder if this is the right time because of all of the Newbies now. How much harder and/or stressful is it finding campsites now?

I have heard of people reserving a year or more in advance. This is not something I want to do. I don't want to be on a schedule to be at a certain place on a certain date. That does not sound like fun to me.

I am sure some will recommend boondocking, which I might do a little here and there, but I would prefer to have full hookups or at least electric.

Like to hear from those fulltiming now.

Thanks
We are starting our 3rd year full timing. I would go without reservations during travel time, but the wife is totally different. She wants reservation every place we go, sometimes not bad, sometimes I would like to drive another hour or so. But if we are going to some place that is well known Orlando, Key West, etc... I will make reservation. If we are going to sit some place for 4 months, Goodyear, we make reservation.
Usually I try to travel during the week and be parked by Thursday for the weekend in places, then she makes reservations for the weekend stays.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/ 4:10 rearend
2016 E-Z-Go Golf Cart 2 Dachshunds DJ (Rainbow Bridge 9-12-2019) & Joey
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:34 AM   #7

For any trips between Memorial and Labor day we booked 6 months in advance and got mostly the spots we wanted. For one 7 day trip we could only get the site we wanted for the last 5, first 2 nights we are in the back lots.
Old 03-25-2021, 09:21 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How much harder or more stressful is it finding campsites now?

Weíve been fulltiming nine years now. Frankly I havenít noticed any significant increased difficulty in finding a place, but I have noted the parks and CGs as a rule seem to be fuller. So, not harder, and frankly I see nothing stressful about RV travel.
Weíve now been parked here in a park south of Raleigh since Thanksgiving. We left Texas about Labor Day, spent about two weeks getting to North Dakota. We would decide on and call each next stop one or two days in advance. No difficulties. In those 14 days there were maybe 3 planned Wally World overnights.
Left ND late Oct, then a month meandering and visiting enroute to NC, and a stop in Gaffney for the annual checkup. Same routine... no advance resv, a few parking lot stays, no problems at all.
Of course, all of that was a bit late in the season for family vacationers. Weíll be leaving here (NC) in a few weeks for the summer volunteering in Massachusetts. Itíll only be 3-5 night on the way, weíll see how it goes.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 06:27 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
I've been making reservations for my longer stays (7 days +) for this summer. The availability is getting less and less - at least for a 45 ft motorhome towing. Have a friend that has just started trying to get reservations at some of the nice rv resorts and they are really having a challenge. Probably a lot of it depends on the size of your rig ... if you are a big rig, the inventory is always less.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 04:37 PM   #10
jrs

We book way in advance, have reservations thru Sept and 3 months this upcoming winter in the RGV. So far no problems.
Recently met full timers who have been at it for 22yrs with a 42ft motorhome who book just a few days ahead! They did state you need to be a bit more flexible.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 05:12 PM   #11

Iím new to rvíing...

Last week tried to schedule 3 months out at a Wisconsin rv park... no go, all weekends booked for the year...

Tried to book Mount Rushmore koa 6 months out... weekends almost completely booked out...

Best I can tell, if you donít book months out, and need a weekend... good luck
bpu699 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 06:17 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We have found some weekends can be difficult because your competing with locales headed out for the weekend.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 06:22 PM   #13

I've never booked more than a day in advance except in New Mexico State parks. Park Advisor is the best app I've ever used. Most states county and city parks are first come first serve. If your not on a schedule and get in early no problem.
amosnandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 06:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
Iím new to rvíing...

Last week tried to schedule 3 months out at a Wisconsin rv park... no go, all weekends booked for the year...

Tried to book Mount Rushmore koa 6 months out... weekends almost completely booked out...

Best I can tell, if you donít book months out, and need a weekend... good luck
If you're able to tolerate dry camping, it's generally easier to get those sites during weekends during the busy season. Also, keep checking. As the date approaches they'll often get cancellations.