Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2017, 12:49 PM   #43

never to old ill be 72 im going next spring
jdny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2017, 12:55 PM   #44

Foretravel Owners Club
Too Old to be full timing????? Hmmm....me thinks...... 6 months after you are Dead
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:08 PM   #45

I hope there's no age limit. My husband is 75 and I'm 73 and we're just getting into the full time life. We stay parked in one place most of the time. But when we get to the point that we need to be close to family to check on us, we'll just move the 5er there and it will still be our home. Maybe I'm not very bright, but I just don't see a problem. Or we could sell the camper and do something else. Don't worry, be happy!
jeanharville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:37 PM   #46

We sold our house and all our stuff this July and are now FTing and currently staying in a RV resort. Will start traveling next May when my wife finishes her last school year at a local high school then she quits. I'm semi-retired, still work and will con't to work some out of the MH on the road. We both have vowed to NEVER buy another house again. To many head aches, to much up keep, to much money, to much taxes, etc, etc. We're done with all that. We had no problem cutting ties with any of it. Time to move on.

We both talk about this often and say, "jeeze, wish we knew about this RVing/traveling life style a long time ago". I personally think it's one the best retirement secrets out there.

Our plans are to travel for as many years as we can and are able, then probably buy a 5th wheel, hire some one to park it in one of our favorite spots we found along the way.

So IMO, no age is to old as long as you both are ready, willing and able.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:27 AM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
...We both have vowed to NEVER buy another house again. To many head aches, to much up keep, to much money, to much taxes, etc, etc. We're done with all that. We had no problem cutting ties with any of it. Time to move on......
I retire in a couple years and want to join you and others in FT'ing. Right now I'm trying to work 50 hours a week and keep 4 houses going. (3 rentals) I'm trying to talk my wife into selling our house before I retire. I want to simplify. You imply that it's both and time loser and money loser to have a house. I'm not sure I can agree. The one thing we know is that eventually the MH you have won't be worth anything. It's definitely going to have up keep. I hope to join you soon but I know that I plan to lose money in the FT'ing venture. I hope to gain time though. We'll see.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:39 AM   #48

I agree on never buying another house for the same reason. What a headache.
jeanharville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 12:34 PM   #49
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I think 112 is too old.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 01:39 PM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanharville View Post
I agree on never buying another house for the same reason. What a headache.
Owning anything can be a headache. Certainly a large home and the yard takes a lot of upkeep. Having said that, almost every system in a home is way better than the same system in the MH. Most real estate areas eventually see a rise in prices. All MH's are eventually worthless or close to it.
I would agree that it can be cheaper to live in a MH(short term especially). I recently stayed at a campground while visiting a friend in Michigan. My friend had his 5'er towed to it's permanent location. The seasonal rate is only $1000. He recently paid about 7k to have the roof totally redone. Everything comes at a cost.

In response to the OP..... I think you can FT as long as your health allows. This can all change very quickly. Have a back up plan which probably includes renting, or buying a house, apt, etc.
Old 11-02-2017, 04:15 PM   #51

Send a message via Yahoo to Bill98116
OKC is right, have a backup plan. We sold our house here in Vegas. Wife wanted to be closer to grandkids in Austin, TX. We moved into our 5th wheel a few days before the house closed; the wife had one last DR appointment......it turned out badly!!! We found out she has breast cancer. Literally days away from hitting the road. Luckily the surgery went well and they think they got all the tumor but she still has chemo, radiation and reconstructive surgery.
So, don't take your health for granted and live each day to its fullest.
Bill
Old 11-02-2017, 06:59 PM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Bill - hoping and praying your wife has a speedy recovery and you'll soon be spending more time with the kiddos in Austin.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:03 PM   #53

Send a message via Yahoo to Bill98116
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
Bill - hoping and praying your wife has a speedy recovery and you'll soon be spending more time with the kiddos in Austin.
Thanks. We appreciate the sentiment.
Bill
Old 11-02-2017, 11:15 PM   #54

Prayers sent

I wish you the best. This comes from a three time breast cancer survivor.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:57 PM   #55

Foretravel Owners Club
My DW is also a breast cancer survivor... It ain't easy for anyone, BUT You Both shall survive ! Good luck and plan for the tomorrows to come!
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 04:08 AM   #56

Bill,

You'll both be out there soon.

from another 8.
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote