Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-21-2021, 07:35 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
How to adjust to life in RV?

I recently moved in my Class A RV. Itís a 37í pusher with 1 big slide. Does anyone have any tips/tricks to share? I need to get better organized. I will be living in it `for several months
bootstrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2021, 08:54 PM   #2

Thumbs up IVR2 has many answers

Hey Bootstrap - I'm a newbie (1 year in as RVer) but just cruise IRV2 and other forums for almost anything you want to learn about. YouTube has lots of great videos and RV channels. Just type "RV organization" (or any RV topic) into Google and you'll get a plethora of links on ideas and tips. Good luck and keep on RVing!
RB Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 10:53 PM   #3

What problems with organization are you having? Kitchen things go in the kitchen; bathroom stuff in the bathroom. If you could be a little more specific perhaps we could help better.

In the basement, use clear plastic tubs and put like things together. Label the boxes, if needed. Then you don't have to go rooting around for things.

Even upstairs in the RV you can use plastic containers for many things...bathroom storage under the sink where it's hard to get to things, etc.

Here are some checklists that may help:

https://www.campanda.com/magazine/rv...sts-printable/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:08 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
First thing to pack....A positive attitude. Understand that you have to adapt at times. The learning cure is very long but thankfully only steep in the beginning.

Lots of good info here on the various threads.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 09:41 AM   #5

Youtube.....RV Channels.
Many good channels out there on living in an RV, traveling, maintenance, upgrades, tips and tricks, do's and don't's and so much more.
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 10:05 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Get rid of things you never use so they don't keep you from accessing things you do.
https://enjoying-life.net
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 11:52 AM   #7

Your mantra should be "less is more."
SacRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 12:11 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Make sure everything has a home. Leave nothing out once it is used. Put it back and avoid the cluttered look. You do not have unlimited space to acquire stuff, so it you buy something, something has to go out.

Keep it organized and neat. You will find plastic bins and tubs will keep you organized. Label the tubs when needed to find things. Things that are not used everyday need to go under the bed, dinette or basement.

Make do with fewer and smaller appliances. We found a smaller food processor, hand mixer, ditched the bread machine, cut back on the clothes. We keep one smaller pizza pan and it serves double duty as a cookie sheet.

Ken
Old 09-23-2021, 11:41 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Itís one thing to organize your stuff, but even more than in a house, in a motorhome itís very
important to organize your time so none gets lost and wasted. It only takes a minute here and there to keep your time under control and your living place low stress.
When you get up, make your bed. When you finish a meal, wash the dishes. Pick one day and make that your cleaning dayó every week without fail. Pick another day and make that your maintenance day.
I think you see the point.
2004 Element
JFXG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 01:58 AM   #10

After a divorce in 1995 I ended in a 24' Fleetwood Wilderness for six years. I bought a four place setting of flatware, 4 place setting of dishes, and went to a flea market to buy a small pot, medium pot, and a medium pan. Later I bought a starter set of Revereware. A fish spatula works for everything. Mount your coffee pot and spice rack on a convenient wall or cabinet. You don't need a wisk when you have a fork. A large knife, paring knife, and a hand sharpener will do. Under the kitchen table I had 2 cases of wine against the wall. Guess you know my priorities.

Nest pots and pans. Buy stainless bowls that nest. Don't think pots go with pots and bowls go with bowls. Put them away that takes the least space.

I learned to unpackage frozen pizzas and other things to get more in the freezer. Similarly I only bought a week's worth of food. If you go to Costco go with a couple of campground neighbors split the TP, freezer bags, etc.

I was working. Although not elegant I installed a clothes pole to hang my clothes over the bed close to the wall. Another time I did the same by removing one side of a bunkhouse to store my clothes installing a clothes pole.

If you have room in the bathroom cabinetry store your least used kitchen stuff there and anything else non-bathroom..

Don't waste your money on plastic storage bowls and lids. Freezer bags work, have no extra air space, and lay flat in the freezer. Don't forget to label the bag with date and contents.

I hope this helps.
MingusPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 04:17 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootstrap View Post
I recently moved in my Class A RV. Itís a 37í pusher with 1 big slide. Does anyone have any tips/tricks to share? I need to get better organized. I will be living in it `for several months
What we learned was if we did not use in a year or 6 months, it went to storage. If we looked at something and said "why do we still have that?" That item went to the auction / yard sale area. Only take what you need for the time in the RV, the rest in storage if you plan on keeping it for later.

We went from a 4 bedroom house down to a 2 bedroom house for 2 years. Then we went to our 45 foot tri-axle toy hauler and we also have a 8x16 ft. storage trailer we keep in a storage lot near our daughter home.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 04:16 PM   #12
jrs

Did backpack camping and took the kids tent camping for years. Rig in our signature is our 1st RV and we moved into it full time. Lots of good comments and suggestions above. Read the various forms and blogs that are available. A positive attitude and a willingness to do it is key.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote