Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2021, 06:01 AM   #1

How to buy a permanent campsite

Wife and I are victims of hurricane IDA losing our house so we purchased a 2014 Tiffin Allegro 36LA to live in and not buy another house
Currently we are parked at daughters house who has a full hookup rv site large enough for the Tiffin but we have no outside storage using a rented storage locker for tools and stuff we don't want to travel with
this is convenient for visiting family but we may or may not like to use this as home base
Being 71 and wife 66 we want to enjoy the years we have left and plan on being on the road 6 months and parked 6 months
we are looking to buy a lot or rv spot ready to go in north Louisiana
how do you locate such land or developed rv sites where we can have a shed or separate garage? wife want trees so we are looking at northern Louisiana
with the sale of the land our house was on we have a few $$$ to invest
thks
cobia6620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2021, 06:16 AM   #2

Biggest question is do you want to be around fellow full timers or is being alone ok. If being alone is ok, then find a nice piece of land whoever you want, put a septic system in, dig a well, and bring in power. At this point you have your own land, your own campsite. Most importantly you can build a shed or garage where most full time sites won’t allow this.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 06:26 AM   #3

Be aware of zoning issues. Decide on the general area, what you want to add to the property (are you up for a well or prefer municipal water?) then engage a real estate agent.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 09:04 AM   #4

I'd be ok alone in the woods but for the sake of my wife being around other full times would be the best
not sure I'm up for the challenges of buying land and developing a site with all the zoning restrictions these days
cobia6620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 09:39 AM   #5

Use one of the apps like Allstays to find RV parks in your area of interest. Some are co ops where the sites are individually owned. Go to their websites which will usually tell you and who to contact if you are interested in buying one.

David
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 09:48 AM   #6

https://www.rvproperty.com/rv-lots/rv-lots-for-sale/
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 10:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobia6620 View Post
I'd be ok alone in the woods but for the sake of my wife being around other full times would be the best
not sure I'm up for the challenges of buying land and developing a site with all the zoning restrictions these days
Land is one thing you can buy and be assured it's an investment which will increase in value. It's not like paying rent.
Check zoning laws for areas you might be interested in and if you really get serious make an appointment with the zoning officer and discuss this with them. Don't buy then find out you are in violation of the zoning laws where you own.
Any improvement you make will pay dividends in the end. Once cleared and power, water and septic are put in the value will skyrocket. Think how much you would pay if you found exactly what you wanted and it was already there ready to go. With all the RV's being bought in today's market the demand will only increase.
You have an advantage now as you can select a spot near where you would want to be and develop it to your own satisfaction.
If you plan to move away for a period of time you also have the option of renting your spot to someone else during your absence. A little stipend to help with the tax bill.
Happy shopping.
I might add, I bought a 1.3 acre lot in the country in 1970. In 1974 I started building a house which we moved into in 1975. I saved all I could and built a three stall garage in 1982. In 1983 I bought another 1.3 acres of land behind my original lot so the farmer could square off the land he owned behind me and the lot next door to me with a house he owned and rented out. The farmer sold the house in 1988. In 1995 I bought the house from the subsequent owner but left the lot lines divided so they remained separate.
In 2001 I bought all the land the farmer owned behind my house which had no other frontage other than my original lot and is situated behind lots the farmer had divided up and sold as five acre building lots. The remaining land totaled just under 100 acres. This land consists of tillable land, woodlands and a swampy area as well as a trout stream flowing through it. This was the beginning of what I call "My little piece of Heaven". I have room for all my outdoor activities including ATV riding, snowmobiling, hunting, fishing and we have a test strip for our snowmobile drag racing sleds in the wintertime. I rent the tillable land to a farmer who grows crops. The income pays the taxes and insurance and I still have a little left.
Four years ago I signed the house and lot next door to me over to my son who in turn tore the old house down and built a new house in it's place.
In 2009 I also bought 96 acres of fallow farmland across the road from our house which I have put back into production for farm crops and rent out to the same farmer. All this buying has added an immense increase to my original home and small lot. In 2012 I built a 40X60' pole barn behind my garage.
I retired from my own business in 2019. Thinking I might want to sell and move away I have had three individual offers on my home and property. The offers were all for amounts many times my overall investment costs. I'm not going anywhere though. I'm exactly where I want to be. My Motor Home is a weekend get away vehicle but after the weekend it finds it's way back to my "Little Piece of Heaven"
Old 11-25-2021, 06:51 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Might want to visit some of the established "resorts" that sell lots. I know at Bella Terra in Gulf Shores, we have lots of Louisiana folks that are owners. I don't know of any RV places in northern Louisiana that sell lots.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 05:39 AM   #9

Don't rule out leasing a camp site instead of actually purchasing one.

My buddy bought a great double lot in a park in southeast Florida a few years ago. They stay on it in their Tiffin bus every winter. With maintenance, property taxes, and HOA fees it cost them a little over $3,600 a year, or about $300 a month.

We leased a lot about 60 miles from him and it cost us $287 a month the first year and $307 this year. So his cost and my cost are about the same monthly. His double lot is about the same size as my single lot. Our resort has a lot nicer facilities. I have a shed provided on my lot to keep a golf cart and other things secured when we are out traveling.

Depending on prices in your area and what you find, don't rule out a lease deal.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 05:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
Don't rule out leasing a camp site instead of actually purchasing one.

My buddy bought a great double lot in a park in southeast Florida a few years ago. They stay on it in their Tiffin bus every winter. With maintenance, property taxes, and HOA fees it cost them a little over $3,600 a year, or about $300 a month.

We leased a lot about 60 miles from him and it cost us $287 a month the first year and $307 this year. So his cost and my cost are about the same monthly. His double lot is about the same size as my single lot. Our resort has a lot nicer facilities. I have a shed provided on my lot to keep a golf cart and other things secured when we are out traveling.

Depending on prices in your area and what you find, don't rule out a lease deal.
The advantage your buddy has is when he's done with his lot he will own it. When he sells his lot he will recoup most if not all of what he's paid into it or he caould lease it out. When you are all done you'll have a piece of paper with the lease agreement printed on it which will be good to start a campfire with.
Old 11-27-2021, 06:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
The advantage your buddy has is when he's done with his lot he will own it. When he sells his lot he will recoup most if not all of what he's paid into it or he caould lease it out. When you are all done you'll have a piece of paper with the lease agreement printed on it which will be good to start a campfire with.
I read his post to mean that his buddy is paying $300 a month in fees and taxes - not including whatever he paid for the lot.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 06:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjm View Post
I read his post to mean that his buddy is paying $300 a month in fees and taxes - not including whatever he paid for the lot.
That may be true but the buddy is building equity in his lot which he will eventually get a return on if he wants.
One thing land does is appreciate in value.
Old 11-27-2021, 06:27 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Where are you “leasing” for ~$300/mth in FL? Even on Military Bases, they charge $550+/mth and here in Savannah you are looking around $900-1200/mth for a place that isn’t fully of RV’s that need to be repaired or scrapped.
Old 11-27-2021, 10:00 PM   #14

Boy, I did a search for buying a developed rv lot with storage in northern Louisiana and came up with nothing. It mustn't be a popular thing to do there. They just seem to rent monthly and no storage.

The type of place you're thinking of would be found in the popular retiree areas of Florida, Alabama, Texas, Arizona. There are many places like what you're looking for.

You might want to look into the Escapees RV Club and they have some parks where you can buy your lot. There aren't any in Louisiana though. We've stayed at the one in Foley, Alabama which is very nice. The lot owners have very large lots and some have built a home on it and others just a storage garage, etc.

https://escapeesrvparks.com/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amps