Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2022, 07:47 AM   #1

How to Transition from CA to South Dakota

Hello.

Need advise on how the process works when transitioning from California residency to South Dakota. Can I have South Dakota as my domicile while selling our home in CA? We want to be able to purchase our new-to-us RV using South Dakota as our home state but could possibly still have the home in California while it's for sale.

Thanks!
Denie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2022, 11:55 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Sure, do it. We changed our domicile and rented out our home and when our current tenant leaves we will sell.

Contact Americas Mailbox for assistance/information.

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 12:21 PM   #3

Escapees has domicile services to help with the transitions you are mentioning, also legal advice for same.
Old 01-13-2022, 05:11 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You don’t have to ask for permission. Contact one of the organizations above for detailed advice, but the basic line is this: once you acquire a SD residency address, register to vote, register your existing vehicles, change address on financial account(s), etc, then you ARE a SD resident and SD is your domicile. YOU get to decide.
https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/b55b263...0-47676dd99c6f
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 06:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denie View Post
Need advise on how the process works when transitioning from California residency to South Dakota. Can I have South Dakota as my domicile while selling our home in CA? We want to be able to purchase our new-to-us RV using South Dakota as our home state but could possibly still have the home in California while it's for sale.
Talk to a lawyer. Some of the advice you're getting here is really, really stupid.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 07:15 AM   #6

the south dakota mail forwarding services can also help you with this. i think to get a south dakota drivers license you have to show residency in south dakota for one night. a one night receipt from a south dakota rv park satisfies this. you can regsiter your rv in south dakota without a south dakota drivers license.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 07:25 AM   #7

Big congratulations! What a great move. Love to see people get out of there and see what the real U.S. is about.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 07:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangeMaggotBob View Post
Big congratulations! What a great move. Love to see people get out of there and see what the real U.S. is about.
Second that!
It's another country.
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 07:36 AM   #9

As soon as you get a SD drivers license you are a resident.
HDRider1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 08:10 AM   #10

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denie View Post
Hello.

Thanks!
Yes.You Can... We are "RV Fulltimer's" and Members of Escapees, so use their storefront address as our legal state resident address and their mail forwarding program. We went to Box Elder and became SD residents in all respects, including Drivers License, registering to vote and putting SD plates on our rigs, and transferring the Auto & Medical insurances and changing the banking/investments to the Box Elder address.
Then We returned to Oregon and parked the Motorcoach in a nearby Mobilehome/RV park by the month, while clearing out the house and having multiple sales/trips to Salvation Army and the dump.
We continued to stay in the coach full time until the home closed. After which [as it was Dec 22nd] Put the shack in the wind for Quartzite.

Note.. Just in case Cali has the same requirements ..You are now a visitor, no longer a Cali Resident.. Oregon has a continuous 30 day max time limit in the state before you must become a resident..[Ain't going back as We just left] So for one week per month We would haul ass to a neighboring state for a few days. [drink beer and have fun.. you know touristy things]
BE SURE to Keep the anywhere but Cali camping Receipts! just in case You are questioned by Cali. Officialdom.
[Mod Edit]
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 08:17 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post

Note.. Just in case ..Oregon has a 30 day max time limit in the state before you must become a resident.

I think someone was pulling your leg. If you are in Oregon at least 6 months out of the year, you are considered a resident. If you do become a resident, you have 30 days to get your driver's license in Oregon. https://www.oregon.gov/odot/dmv/page...residency.aspx
Old 01-15-2022, 12:04 AM   #12

Thanks to everyone for the advise. I'll look into these mentioned services.
Denie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 08:25 AM   #13

When I started FT, I went with SD as my residence. Drove to Box Elder and spent the night. Americas Mailbox was helpful, but dang SD is WAY up there.

Decided to change to Escapees in Livingston, TX a few years later. No need to spend the night and Much easier to get/renew our divers license and get the MH and Toad inspected. We can renew in El Paso, Amarillo or Houston, anywhere in TX. We have never been to Livingston. Did everything by mail except for getting the DL and initial inspection.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 11:02 AM   #14

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
I think someone was pulling your leg. If you are in Oregon at least 6 months out of the year, you are considered a resident. If you do become a resident, you have 30 days to get your driver's license in Oregon. https://www.oregon.gov/odot/dmv/page...residency.aspx
Tell that to the 4 Marion County deputies that confronted me in Stayton, Ended up producing the receipts showing that at no time were we within Oregon for 30+ continuous days.. Judge threw the case out..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote