Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2017, 09:25 PM   #1

Humidity

In my research leading up to going full time, I have read that humidity is a problem, and that I will need a dehumidifier. I love in North Texas, and it is relatively dry here, should I be worried about this?
therussellv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2017, 09:33 PM   #2

I would imagine if you stay in Texas in the summer a dehumidifier would be a good investment.

As full-timers and traveling constantly, we never felt a need for one. In the summers we'd go farther north and in the mountains.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:22 AM   #3

Not sure why you would need a dehumidifier while living in it. If it is hot and humid out you will probably have the AC on. If it's not hot and humid out you won't need one anyway.
If you plan on leaving the coach unoccupied for any length of thier then a dehumidifier would be warranted.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:27 AM   #4

We full-time so we installed a wall-mount thermometer/hygrometer to be able to monitor humidity. Best to not guess what the humidity when it is simple to know. Then, we bought an Ivation "mid-size" dehumidifier on Amazon. It is very quiet and doesn't take up much space. The humidity in our coach with this setup usually stays around 30%. If it gets above 40% because of something I am cooking or we both have showered, I open a vent until it dries out. High humidity can cause serious damage that is easy to avoid.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:47 AM   #5

We have only run into humidity problems in the Winter, when heating the coach. Generally you are buttoned up tighter and aren't running AC, so humidity can be a problem. We have the added problem that I use a CPAP with a humidifier so that adds moisture to the air overnight on top of our normal respiration. We purchased a 40qt dehumidifier that we run if we have any problems. Also leave running in the coach when it is not being used in the Winter. You set the humidity level you wish to maintain and it turns on and off as needed. We set it in the shower with the overflow tube so it drains into the grey tank instead of filling the reservoir.

Note: If you inherited a dehumidifier when you purchased your coach, or if you purchased one more than 3 years ago, you might want to check for safety recalls. We found that the one we got with the coach had been recalled for fire hazard. The company that made them manufactured a LOT of them which were marketed under a slew of brand names. I think ours was a Greer or some such. . . Just food for thought!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:10 AM   #6
paz

If it's humid enough to be uncomfortable, it will also probably be hot enough to run the AC. Running the AC is a good way to remove humidity from the air inside the RV. I would forget about a dehumidifier.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:42 AM   #7

In all the years RVing the only time I've had issues with humidity is colder weather like Hit_the_road mentioned.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
If it's humid enough to be uncomfortable, it will also probably be hot enough to run the AC. Running the AC is a good way to remove humidity from the air inside the RV. I would forget about a dehumidifier.

Unfortunately cooking and showering, even with vent fans on can add a lot of humidity to the atmosphere in a coach. Happened to us last year in 30 degree weather. You can go ahead and run your Air conditioning, but I will just turn on the dehumidifier and remain comfortable while the humidity draws down, and that without lowering the temp in the coach to long sleeve weather!

Plus if you're using propane to heat the coach it makes no sense to heat it up, and vent that money out regularly when a dehumidifier can remove the unwanted moister without wasting the heat. Just my take,
Old 01-10-2017, 05:31 AM   #9
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Unfortunately cooking and showering, even with vent fans on can add a lot of humidity to the atmosphere in a coach. Happened to us last year in 30 degree weather. You can go ahead and run your Air conditioning, but I will just turn on the dehumidifier and remain comfortable while the humidity draws down, and that without lowering the temp in the coach to long sleeve weather!

Plus if you're using propane to heat the coach it makes no sense to heat it up, and vent that money out regularly when a dehumidifier can remove the unwanted moister without wasting the heat. Just my take,
Dual pane windows help a lot with condensation in cold weather. Even with dual pane windows, however, the windshield of a motorhome will always be single pane and will still have condensation. When we switched to a 5th wheel with dual panes all around the condensation problems completely disappeared.
Save
Save
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:36 AM   #10

It all depends on where you travel during the summer. We lived in Tidewater Virginia while I worked for NASA. The humidity was absolutely unmanageable without a dehumidifier. When I was headed to work at 06:45 the first day at NASA, the OAT was 82F, humidity in the 90% range, foggy and a thunderstorm going on. I was ready to leave for Seattle that same day!

We had two humidifers in our rental house - one built-in and one portable. As expat Brits and Washington State residents, we found humidity levels much above 60% to be unbearable.We didn't go out much in summer! Three years was enough and we returned to WA/Boeing. Still here after 25 years, but now retired.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
Dual pane windows help a lot with condensation in cold weather. Even with dual pane windows, however, the windshield of a motorhome will always be single pane and will still have condensation. When we switched to a 5th wheel with dual panes all around the condensation problems completely disappeared.Save
I agree that dual pane windows help a lot with condensation, but it does nothing to remove the moisture in the air! Even in our current coach with dual pane windows, we notice condensation on the front windshield in the morning, hence the dehumidifier.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:44 PM   #12

I agree with dual pane windows and less condensation. We owned 4 bumper pulls and on our 2nd fifth wheel and it has dual pane windows. We presently live in WI and camp from April thru November and all our other unit ended up with fogged up or icy window. Our current rig with dual pane windows has not had any problems in the two years we had it.
scout4eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:53 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My kids gave me a table to dehumidifier for Christmas and I love it (I also gave them the hint). It is about the size of a 1/2 gallon jug. It plugs in and the reservoir is a little over a liter. I run it constantly (in Tampa FL) and empty about every 3 to 5 days. I think it helps the ac as well.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:08 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This applies to both fixed and movable homes... Humidity can be a problem. THOUGH normally Humidity comes with HEAT, so you run the A/C which is, among other things, a de-humidifier.. It takes gallons of humidity out of the air.

I have found in the motor home DRY air is more of an issue. SO I have the ability to humidify if needed.