Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2017, 08:57 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hurricane relief volunteering

We were kind of planning to winter in TX or AZ long before Harvey or Irma came along. Now I am wondering how we might be able to help folks dealing with the aftermath of the storms. I have social work training (MSW) and my wife worked many years as a veterinary technician. Even our dog has training as an emotional therapy dog. So even though we are old farts, and on fixed (low) incomes, I think we have something to offer. Problem is that I have no idea where to start, other than the Red Cross. The last thing we want to do is blunder into a disaster zone and exacerbate the problem.

The good news is our home is mobile so we can go most anywhere. The bad news is we need a place to put it.

Anybody else considering doing the same? Would love to get a discussion going with ideas, tips, caveats, experiences, etc. It would be especially helpful to hear from folks in the impacted areas.
hohokam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2017, 09:06 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You may want to contact Samaritan's Purse in NC to see if they might have some ideas. I know they are recruiting volunteers to help in various places.

The Red Cross uses volunteers in various capacities. I do know they require some training which they provide.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:19 AM   #3

Yes, contact the Red Cross, Samaritan's Purse, the Houston SPCA. They need relief for those volunteers that have been in TX for several weeks
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 02:04 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Also maybe UMCOR. This relief group has impressed me recently, and I'm almost anti-religious.

About Us - UMCOR
Old 09-09-2017, 03:23 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the suggestions. Have contacted the SPCA and NECHAMA, who once helped us after a flood. UMCOR is now on my list.
Old 09-09-2017, 04:48 PM   #6

I would suggest checking with the local organizations not the big national ones. Here is a starting point for some contacts for the Louisiana / Texas state line area Harvey 2017 | Calcasieu Parish Public Library
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 05:09 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
I would suggest checking with the local organizations not the big national ones. Here is a starting point for some contacts for the Louisiana / Texas state line area Harvey 2017 | Calcasieu Parish Public Library
That's what I was looking you
Old 09-09-2017, 05:10 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
For
Old 09-09-2017, 07:04 PM   #9

I went through Hurricane Harvey. We were very lucky, but there is so much damage and people in need. It is surreal. There have been so VERY many reports, on the Red Cross, being unorganized, unprepared and ill managed. It is really disturbing. I would encourage you to check with Samaritans Purse, Team Rubicon, Volunteer Orginazation Active in Disaster, Remote Area Medical and www.volunteerhou.org. Also, local animal shelters are in great need of help. They are not helped through ASPCA or US Humane Society. Opportunities to volunteer are endless. Your efforts would most likely be felt by the local communities, much faster, through local charities, churches, etc. The National organization just don't seem to have it together. Their overhead is ridiculous, and way too little actually goes to those in need. Calcasieu Parish is a wonderful place. I was born and raised there. Still have many family and friends there. They also suffered damage from Harvey and there is need there. It is not to the degree of that in Southeast Texas. The problem that you may run into, is space to park. Start looking now!
Suzybro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 02:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohokam View Post
We were kind of planning to winter in TX or AZ long before Harvey or Irma came along. Now I am wondering how we might be able to help folks dealing with the aftermath of the storms. I have social work training (MSW) and my wife worked many years as a veterinary technician. Even our dog has training as an emotional therapy dog. So even though we are old farts, and on fixed (low) incomes, I think we have something to offer. Problem is that I have no idea where to start, other than the Red Cross. The last thing we want to do is blunder into a disaster zone and exacerbate the problem.

The good news is our home is mobile so we can go most anywhere. The bad news is we need a place to put it.

Anybody else considering doing the same? Would love to get a discussion going with ideas, tips, caveats, experiences, etc. It would be especially helpful to hear from folks in the impacted areas.

Making A Difference | RV Disaster Corps
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:22 PM   #11

Not sure if you were considering Irma in Florida.
Here is the link if you were:
Irma Volunteers in FL
You can indicate dates available and special skills you have.
FL needs help too.

Tags
hurricane