Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2017, 03:44 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
I HATE State income taxes...

...so can I declare any state my state of residence when I full time and leave Utah, with all its beauty and snow and income taxes, in the rear view mirror? I know that as a military member, I could declare any state my state of residence as long as I actually lived in that state during my way-too-fun military career -- I chose WA state as that is where I entered service and it has no income tax. I have since retired to Utah and had to make Utah my state of residence since I'm still working and a property owner in this state, and they have income tax to build schools for all these stinkin' kids! But when I hit the road in 4 short years, how do I make some other state with no income tax my state of residence. I'm thinking Texas.....if they'll have me.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2017, 04:07 PM   #2

Escapees RV Club can provide/assistance with residency in Texas, Florida, and South Dakota.

They are also the largest mail forwarder in the RV industry.

Declaring a domicile is not that hard, but there are several steps.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:12 PM   #3

Why don't you emigrate, renounce citizenship, and you can avoid Federal taxes too.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:22 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is worse.. When I retired part of the retirement agreement (Contractual agreement) was NO INCOME TAX (I retired from the state).

Well, our current govemanure decided I need to pay income tax.....

But I have a plan.. he won't like it.. I have some friends.. as it happens they work at a PUBLIC BROADCASTING STATION.. Yup, Public radio.. And if I donate the state credits half my donation (up to a point) as a TAX CREDIT, not a deduction (though it's that too) but a CREDIT, meaning that for every 10 bucks I give the station, I get 5.00 off my taxes.

I plan to give the station a bit more than 2x my annual state tax (Still under the maximum) I can afford it now, so I'll get a refund and Snidley.. Well what he gets: (Offensive word deleted before it was typed).
Old 02-02-2017, 07:17 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
Why don't you emigrate, renounce citizenship, and you can avoid Federal taxes too.
Well, I love this country, and I spent 24 years defending her and her citizens, which included the front lines of the Cold War and 10 deployments to the Iraq and Afghanistan campaigns, all of which I volunteered for. I am the son of a 31-year, three-war bootstrap Purple Heart Marine as well. So I believe, far more than most, I've have earned the right to call America my home.

I don't mind paying taxes, but I do mind wasting money.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:19 AM   #6

I would think you need to break ALL ties to the state (UT) you are in before the state you are in will consider you not paying state taxes. ie.. sell property and leave the job.
I definitely recommend getting professional advice regarding this. We (specifically I) are not tax professionals. I know you don't want to leave yourself vulnerable to the tax man as they will get their "fair" share and what they deem you owe. Penalties can be stiff and severe.
Once you hit the road you will declare a domicile state. There are lots of threads on this topic. There are many implications of making a state your domicile include but not limited to, vehicle and health insurance, vehicle registration, licenses, voting, mail, etc.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:28 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
https://www.rapidtax.com/blog/states.../#.WJNBPIWcHIU

This might help a little.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Well, I love this country, and I spent 24 years defending her and her citizens, which included the front lines of the Cold War and 10 deployments to the Iraq and Afghanistan campaigns, all of which I volunteered for. I am the son of a 31-year, three-war bootstrap Purple Heart Marine as well. So I believe, far more than most, I've have earned the right to call America my home.

I live in the land of taxes, but as a military retiree the income taxes aren't too bad. There is no state tax on any government pension including military. There is no state tax on Social Security. We do have very high real estate taxes though.

Most of my clients who look to escaping state income taxes look to Florida, Tennessee, Texas, or Wyoming. Those seem to be the best places for no state income tax.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:48 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
hi,
I agree with a previous post if you don't want to pay state income tax then go to another country and denounce your citizenship to the greatest country in the world.
When you go fulltime who do you think pays for road improvements, police departments, etc. You get what I mean.
The state income tax withdrawl you don't ever see as it is taken out before you get you pay plus it isn't that much.
Why should everyone else pay state income tax for you to enjoy the states you visit.
You also have to realize it the state does not have state income tax the money to operate the state must come from something else like gas tax, real estate tax, sales tax on food, etc.
Rethink your options!

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:59 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
hi,
I agree with a previous post if you don't want to pay state income tax then go to another country and denounce your citizenship to the greatest country in the world.
When you go fulltime who do you think pays for road improvements, police departments, etc. You get what I mean.
The state income tax withdrawl you don't ever see as it is taken out before you get you pay plus it isn't that much.
Why should everyone else pay state income tax for you to enjoy the states you visit.
You also have to realize it the state does not have state income tax the money to operate the state must come from something else like gas tax, real estate tax, sales tax on food, etc.
Rethink your options!

A vet, who's a son of a decorated vet, needs to leave?

So, if if you have no roots, receive no benefits or services from your old State of residence you need to continue to pay because someone has to? I'm confused.
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:05 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
June 10 is Canada Tax Free day. Everything you have earned up to that point has been paid to taxes of some form or other.

April 24 is US tax free day.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:10 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:

Thanks!

Is that last statement an oxymoron?
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:13 AM   #13

Quote:
I'm thinking Texas.....if they'll have me.
SURE!!!! Y'all come on down.

Tim
Healeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:15 AM   #14

Quote:
...so can I declare any state my state of residence when I full time and leave Utah, with all its beauty and snow and income taxes, in the rear view mirror? I know that as a military member, I could declare any state my state of residence as long as I actually lived in that state during my way-too-fun military career -- I chose WA state as that is where I entered service and it has no income tax. I have since retired to Utah and had to make Utah my state of residence since I'm still working and a property owner in this state, and they have income tax to build schools for all these stinkin' kids! But when I hit the road in 4 short years, how do I make some other state with no income tax my state of residence. I'm thinking Texas.....if they'll have me.

Have you considered moving down to Nevada? No State Income Tax and a short drive to Utah.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote