RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-26-2020, 10:23 AM   #1

I think I bought a Lemon!

Letís start off by saying we are newbies, but have owned a few motor homeís prior to this coach. We purchased a Thor Windsport 34R. We have gone on a few local trips in California so far. This coach seems to be in the shop more than on the road. I have a list of issues that have come with this new purchase. Iím at the point of losing my mind!
1. If I start the generator, the washing machine starts making a noise yet the power is off on the machine? Canít open the door itís in the locked mode. I have not used the washer or dryer yet.
2. The power outlet in the bathroom randomly starts clicking with a red flashing light, I reset it and it stops until the next time it decides to go off.
3. The power outlet above the sink works when it wants to.
4. The house batteries only stay charged for 4-5 hours with only the refrigerator on.
5. The hydroelectric jack panel is always flashing, it never completes the cycle when lowering the jacks on auto.
6. Living room A/C does not blow cool, on the control panel the cool always turns off the first time around. It also is leaking water into the coach living room. It runs water over the sides of the RV.
7. Had dish installed all wireless and per dish consultant itís set up wrong.
8. Satellite went up and wonít come down.
9. The blinds have all come out of the wall and unraveled.
10. Lots of cosmetic issues, wood panels popping loose.
11. The step control is malfunctioning.
I could go on and on, Iím pretty sure this unit was a unwind and Iím thinking I know why! We purchased it brand new but it had 2000. Plus miles on it? Not sure if thatís normal. The dealership where we purchased it says they will fix it and want us happy but to no avail. Tired and confused...
carolynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2020, 10:30 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Usually lemon laws only cover the chassis for safety defects. House problems are not a case for a lemon law actions but there are a few states that lemon laws cover the house. You will need to go by your state's laws.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 05:48 PM   #3

#1 sounds like a problem in the wiring(I'm a retired electrical worker) or it could even be something like a nail or staple through a wire harness.
#2 sounds like it is probably a failing GFCI outlet.
#3 is probably caused by the failing GFCI in the bathroom as it most likely is tied in to that protection. It is normal to run all outlets in areas with water vai a GFCI.
#4 must be either some type of phantom load that is discharging them or another wiring problem. I suggest that you lift the negative battery cable with them fully charged and then check the voltage, let them sit for 24 yours and compare the voltage then.
#5 is hard to guess as the only leveling jacks that I have experience with are those from Big Foot.
#6 makes me wonder what brand a/c and control center you have? I'm sure that something is wrong there too, but would need to do some trouble shooting to guess what.
#7 sounds like the tech knows.
#8 makes me wonder if it ever worked right? Was the install done by the selling dealer?

The 2000 miles on it is probably OK as motorhomes are nearly always driven from the factory to the selling dealership. If that is about the right distance for the delivery plus a few test drives, it sounds about right. Maybe the only thing that is right.

Thor Ind. has been a very profitable company and much of that comes from their history of build cheap and avoid dealer support as much as possible. Today they are the biggest manufacturer of RVs and as such they do own some companies with a quality reputation but the Thor line does not have a great history of support or quality.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 02:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Usually lemon laws only cover the chassis for safety defects. House problems are not a case for a lemon law actions but there are a few states that lemon laws cover the house. You will need to go by your state's laws.

Thank you
Old 09-28-2020, 02:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP Kirk View Post
#1 sounds like a problem in the wiring(I'm a retired electrical worker) or it could even be something like a nail or staple through a wire harness.
#3 is probably caused by the failing GFCI in the bathroom as it most likely is tied in to that protection. It is normal to run all outlets in areas with water vai a GFCI.
#4 must be either some type of phantom load that is discharging them or another wiring problem. I suggest that you lift the negative battery cable with them fully charged and then check the voltage, let them sit for 24 yours and compare the voltage then.
#5 is hard to guess as the only leveling jacks that I have experience with are those from Big Foot.
#6 makes me wonder what brand a/c and control center you have? I'm sure that something is wrong there too, but would need to do some trouble shooting to guess what.
#8 makes me wonder if it ever worked right? Was the install done by the selling dealer?

The 2000 miles on it is probably OK as motorhomes are nearly always driven from the factory to the selling dealership. If that is about the right distance for the delivery plus a few test drives, it sounds about right. Maybe the only thing that is right.

Thor Ind. has been a very profitable company and much of that comes from their history of build cheap and avoid dealer support as much as possible. Today they are the biggest manufacturer of RVs and as such they do own some companies with a quality reputation but the Thor line does not have a great history of support or quality.

Your amazing and I really appreciate your feedback. What do you think about the generator having 19 hours on it when purchased? Iíve only owned it for approximately 8 weeks.
Old 09-28-2020, 03:09 PM   #6

What I've learned by reading iRV2: Thor Motor Coach is capable of being responsive. Don't expect them to be particularly fast. Your dealer is either not yet in Thor's queue (no matter what the dealer says) or Thor is still processing the claim(s). They build a lot of RVs and have a corresponding number of warranty claims.

I suggest you call Thor and talk to a human. Have your VIN in hand. Give them a brief rundown of the problems and let them know you've been working with (name here) dealer. Ask what you can do to assist in the speedy processing of the warranty problems. This is where you find out if the dealer has submitted claims, and if so you might be told what the hold up is... My observation is there is much "tag, you're it" in documents back and forth, and if fixing problems requires replacement parts, back orders may be involved.

Good luck. Let us know how this progresses.

Edit ps: About the washing machine - does it make the same noise if you're plugged into shore power? Is it possible for you unplug the machine? After being reconnected to power, for it to have some kind of initial "boot up" would not surprise me. Strange noises, on the other hand...
Old 09-28-2020, 03:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP Kirk View Post

Sorry I missed your question, not sure if it ever worked. Yes it was installed by the selling dealer.
Old 09-28-2020, 03:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
What I've learned by reading iRV2: Thor Motor Coach is capable of being responsive. Don't expect them to be particularly fast. Your dealer is either not yet in Thor's queue (no matter what the dealer says) or Thor is still processing the claim(s). They build a lot of RVs and have a corresponding number of warranty claims.

I suggest you call Thor and talk to a human. Have your VIN in hand. Give them a brief rundown of the problems and let them know you've been working with (name here) dealer. Ask what you can do to assist in the speedy processing of the warranty problems. This is where you find out if the dealer has submitted claims, and if so you might be told what the hold up is... My observation is there is much "tag, you're it" in documents back and forth, and if fixing problems requires replacement parts, back orders may be involved.

Good luck. Let us know how this progresses.

Edit ps: About the washing machine - does it make the same noise if you're plugged into shore power? Is it possible for you unplug the machine? After being reconnected to power, for it to have some kind of initial "boot up" would not surprise me. Strange noises, on the other hand...

Sounds like a perfect plan, I will definitely keep you in the loop.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:33 PM   #9

The 19 hours on the generator seems a bit high, but not excessive. It would make me wonder if the driver who delivered it to the selling dealer may have used it for some reason. They don't usually allow the driver to use the coach or it's facilities but if he were driving in hot weather he well may have run the generator and roof air conditioner to keep it comfortable as the dash air will not cool a motorhome.

On the dish, I think that you need to keep that on the list to expect the dealer to correct. You may also want to check if your state has a lemon law for RVs as not all states do.

The approach suggested by Solo Guy is probably a good way to start, as you usually get better response if you avoid anger and threats. Lawyers might help but they are expensive and take a lot of time so make that your last resort.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:00 PM   #10

You didn't buy a lemon. That's just how they come.
Fast E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 05:01 PM   #11

Sounds like the line and neutral off the gen are reversed . just not reasonable for that many things to be turning themselves on. Also the bonding between neutral and ground should be checked.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 06:15 PM   #12

Most all manufacturers have a factory rep that acts as a go between the dealer, customer and factory for warranty issues. Find out who the area factory rep is for your dealer. Contact him/her and they will coordinate the warranty repair and help the dealer get the parts and make the repairs. The factory is paying the dealer to make the repairs. The dealer is the factoryís customer.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 06:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast E View Post
You didn't buy a lemon. That's just how they come.
X2 on that.. its not a lemon it was just typical crappy lack of quality control construction
tanman32225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 11:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
Sounds like the line and neutral off the gen are reversed . just not reasonable for that many things to be turning themselves on. Also the bonding between neutral and ground should be checked.

Thank you, will add it to my list.