Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2008, 04:51 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Presently with Allstate .. 2007 5th wheel and 2006 Chev 2500..$1539.. (not listed as full timers)

We received a quote from a GOOD SAM Insurance co. $2000 (listed as full timers) but it has towing, 100% of the purchased price on the 5th, $3000 added value for contents .. considering.. is $460 a year worth the additional coverage?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2008, 05:11 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
If you are fulltimers, you DEFINITELY need fulltimers insurance! Fulltimers insurance includes the liability insurance you would have if you had a sticks and bricks house, so it will, of course, be more expensive than regular rv insurance.

You might want to get quotes from other companies that specialize in fulltimers insurance, too:

Insurance Brokers (they handle several different insurance companies):

AON Recreation Insurance
Miller RV Insurance
RV America Insurance
Explorer RV Insurance
Gilbert RV Insurance

Insurance companies you can contact directly:

Foremost
Progressive

Another type of insurance I recommend is Umbrella Insurance.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:18 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
I just switched my RV from Farm Bureau to these guys, premium was about half what Farm Bureau wanted for less coverage.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:28 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
quote from a GOOD SAM Insurance co. $2000 (listed as full timers) but it has towing, 100% of the purchased price on the 5th, $3000 added value for contents
I also recommend you get quotes from other companies. Those numbers sound high to me (not knowing your driving record, credit scores, state, etc that also affect your rates). We are insured as fulltimers by National Interstate through Explorer RV and currently paying just under $1,500 a year for full replacement cost, $10k Pers Property, Liability $100k per person/$300k per event, Med Payments $1k, Vacation liability $750.

Does your "towing" coverage consist of Good Sam ERS? (apx $100/yr) ...or just a generic towing clause? We have ERS (towing & road service) through Coach-Net.

Hmmm ... wonder why a fulltimer needs "vacation liability" ??? I think I'll ask them about that one!!
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:43 AM   #5

Sounds high to me too, especially for a 5th wheel.

When we had our TT, we were paying $750/year for just the trailer for full-timers coverage. We had 250/500k with $1k deductibles. At the time we were with foremost.

That went up significantly with the motor home, and due to Derek's driving record. Two years ago we were at $2300 for less coverage (had to drop to 100/300k and drop the replacement value or it was WAY to high). this year Derek's record cleared up, and we are back to 250/500, 10k p/p, 5k medical, and 500k liability for $1500 a year with Progressive Drive through RVA.Understand I also am driving a 7 year old coach, and that we (now) both have clean records. Rates will vary greatly by state, age, marital status, credit, and your driving record. I also found this time around it was well worth shopping around, and also that RVA did have some lleeway, since I got an independant quote off Progessive's website that came in less than the RVA quote with Progessive Drive. I told them no thanks, and I will just go with Progressive directly and they said wait... and requoted.

John
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:02 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Hitchhiker:
I just switched my RV from Farm Bureau to these guys, premium was about half what Farm Bureau wanted for less coverage.
Just requested a quote from THESE GUYS. Thanks.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:38 AM   #7
paz

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee & MaryJane:
Presently with Allstate .. 2007 5th wheel and 2006 Chev 2500..$1539.. (not listed as full timers)
Make sure your Allstate insurance coverage on the 5er is true RV insurance. Many auto companies will insure RVs, but the coverage may or may not include things like awnings, TV antenna, etc. Also, look for full replacement coverage. Our RV insurance will replace our motorhome with the same make and model of NEW motorhome in the event of total loss in the first 5 years. After that, they will pay 100% of our original purchase price toward a new RV.

Also, your state of domicile will play a big part in your insurance cost. As full-timers, we can choose our domicile. Our insurance was $800 a year less in South Dakota than it would have been in Texas for the same coverage.

As Linda says, if you are full-timers, you really NEED full-timers insurance, especially for liability. Also, if you don't have a house, your personal property in your RV is probably not covered. Even if you do have a house, your personal property may still not be covered to a very high value, and it may not be covered at all under some circumstances.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:33 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by paz:
Also, if you don't have a house, your personal property in your RV is probably not covered. Even if you do have a house, your personal property may still not be covered to a very high value, and it may not be covered at all under some circumstances.
Paz makes a good point.

Lee & MaryJane said they had only $3,000 in contents coverage. For a fulltimer, that sounds REALLY LOW! Have you done an inventory to find out the real value of everything you're carrying in your RV? I can just about guarantee you that the value will be way more than $3,000!
Old 02-19-2008, 08:34 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally posted by LindaH:

Lee & MaryJane said they had only $3,000 in contents coverage. For a fulltimer, that sounds REALLY LOW! Have you done an inventory to find out the real value of everything you're carrying in your RV? I can just about guarantee you that the value will be way more than $3,000!
I think you are absolutely correct!!
We carry $25,000 contents coverage. Some time back a full timing friend poo pooed the amount and was sure we were wasting money by having so much coverage.
A month ago the TT across the way from both of us burned and that prompted my friend to take inventory. He then took out $20,000 in contents coverage and said he had been wrong about us having way too much coverage.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:06 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Clay L:
A month ago the TT across the way from both of us burned and that prompted my friend to take inventory. He then took out $20,000 in contents coverage and said he had been wrong about us having way too much coverage.
That's what we did as we were loading stuff into our new RV last year. We have a list of everything in the rig, including receipts for much of it.

We have $20,000 in contents coverage...now that we've been in the rig for a little over a year, I need to revisit our inventory to see if any adjustments need to be made.