Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2013, 09:28 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Insurance coverage for pre-Medicare...ACA vs high deductable vs other?

Since hubby and I are pre-Medicare fulltime RVers we've been following the exchange rollout very closely. I'd like to start this thread to discuss best insurance coverage options under the new system. I'd like to keep politics out of it (pretty, pretty please). I'm just looking for a discussion of best options and costs.

Currently we are on a $10,000 high deductible in SD which just (this month) got jacked up in price by about 50%. I have not been able to get into the exchanges this AM (overload or shut down?) so I am not able to compare. If anyone is able to get in can you post your results here? My biggest questions are:
- costs
- nationwide coverage (will be very important for fulltimers)
- whether the new insurances accept mail forwarding addresses as legal domicile (also critical)

Please share your input so hopefully we can all make the best educated choice for our fulltime travels.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
We to some degree share your interest. As of today really who knows? CNN reports the new gov. Web site for the AHCA is so overloaded it will take a few days for traffic to slow down. My wife and I, DW still cannot get insurance, 64 with pre
Existing conditions, so we have not had the opportunity to research it. I did see the web page and finding the right coverage looks pretty simple. Let's hope this all goes smoothly I am now Medicare eligible but both of us have been w/o coverage for ten years, like playing Russian roulette. I'll follow this thread hopefully others more enlightened will chime in?
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:48 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Yup, looks like overload is causing the website to go down. Have tried several times this AM, but can't get in. We have until Dec 15th to enroll, so I will probably just wait a few days to see results.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:55 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Timely Discussion

The wife and I will be going full time next year. We will be covered under her health plan for all of 2014. After that we will be on a ten year run before Medicare eligible. Last year I looked under my retirement system's coverage options and found that we would pay a premium for "out of area" coverage. We both have pre-existing conditions and are hoping that this change in lifestyle will help to mitigate some of the bad health habits.

I would like to see how other states stack up against California in regards to health insurance costs. Another item to factor into where to setup our domicile.
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:37 AM   #5

While I'm covered by VA and Medicare, the wife isn't yet (she married an old F$&t), she's been researching the ACA for her insurance. She's currently with BCBShield of Florida, with a big deductible and pretty steep monthly premium. She was able to get on once, and was amazed at how much she can save with a much smaller monthly and deductible, plus WAY better plan. Only time will tell, we're very encouraged by what we've seen so far. If the politicians stay out of it, thus country may have a partial solution to our health care issues. Not 100%, but maybe an improvement. Our ER's in Florida Hospitals are so overburdened with no or under insured that we need something.
Just our .02c.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:12 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Mike, that is great info!! I've been trying to get into the federal exchange all week, but have not been able to get in. My account is created, but it won't let me login. Very frustrating. So, I still have no idea of the options in SD. Sounds like FL is offering some good options. Did you happen to check network coverage (I.e. Whether it's nationwide?) ? I heard from someone who entered the KY exchange that the insurance there was only valid within KY. My preliminary info (second hand) is that only one of the 3 insurers in SD is offering nationwide coverage, but I have no direct confirmation of this. I'm thinking this will vary by state. Being a fulltime RVer this is one of my bigger questions.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:38 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
I created two accounts. The first one won't let me in. I have filled out applications for Texas, Florida, and South Dakota. There are notifications from each state and I am unable to read any of them. I haven't tried today, but the last two chat sessions essentially said, 'We're screwed up, wait a while.'

I saw a Saturday Night Live sketch this morning. According to the White House, they have been saying that millions of people need health insurance. Imagine their surprise when they found out the millions of people need health insurance.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #8

In NC.... pre medicare...but Grandfathered BC/BS plan is MUCH less (More than 100%) expensive than bronze level ACA plan with similar large deductible. Will stay with BC/BS.

My understanding is that you MUST be sold insurance regardless of pre-existing condition. I also think the penalties for not buying NOW are quite low.Can anyone confirm that? If so....it might be best NOT to buy anything, save your $$ and then buy the best you can afford WHEN you need it.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:39 AM   #9

Wheelingit,,
DW's BCBSHIELD of Florida is a Nation wide coverage plan. In some states she has a little more out of pocket, but not much. I guess do to a high preponderance of old geezers like me, the ACA is a good deal here on Florida. The Silver plan for wife is $100's cheaper than the standard high deductible plan BCBS offers. She's still researching it,so we will see how it goes. Yeah the site has a few glitches, but with millions of people hitting it for the first time that's expected. Also sorta validates the need for it. My company promised a pension, insurance for life. Bought out by a holding company, which immediately turned pension over to an administrative company, cancelled insurance, and the pension group "Trionics" declared bankruptcy within two years. Employees lost thousands, but holding company made millions. Typical American Business for the 10% success story.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:12 AM   #10

I'm a bit lucky, having a good health plan at work - I'm a Florida state employee (NOT the university.... I'm Department of Education). So I have two years till retirement, and will have time to see how the ill-named ACA pans out. I'm currently reading of folks on both sides of the aisle - some find it better, some have major troubles with it. Hopefully just 'teething' trouble. My elderly Mother is on Medicare and it allows her to have a very affordable HMO plan. But that is several years off for me.
LeeRevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #11

I am a health insurance agent. I specialize in Medicare plans but am watching this ACA. There are a lot of drawbacks to it working well. Everyone has good questions here but we have to wait until the pols get it out to us completely so we can understand it. There are many articles written about how it works, non political. Last I read today mentioned that people will just 'game the system', paying the less expensive fine and only buying it if they get sick and then drop it. The networks aren't well known but likened to Medicaid providers which are difficult to find. The carriers aren't jumping to get into the exchanges. I did also read that hospital cost share will be 10% to 20% which can be quite difficult for the average person to pay.

As for an address, insurers want a street address. I guess it should be a legal address. Always be careful about being truthful on an insurance application of any kind as they can deny a claim based on false info on the app.

Just wait awhile, it's only Oct & it's not effective until Jan.1 We need better info to make a decision on what to do.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:28 PM   #12

Florida bcns

Mike...my wife is in the exact situation you referred to....please post specifics if you can.
Thanks.
bandmbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've been chasing details on this for several months, here is some of what I have learned...

Pre-Existing Conditions: you can not be turned down and it appears there is no cost adjustment either.
Applicant Age: This appears to be the only factor that can vary the price in any specific plan
Coverage: There are 4 levels Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum. All meet the same government coverage requirements. Each level has different levels of deductibles, copays, and co-insurance (if you're healthy buy bronze, if your not healthy buy Platinum)
Penalties; I believe the penalty for no insurance in 2014 is less than $100. Penalties gradually increase over the next few years and do eventually become significant (I don't remember the numbers)
Government subsidy; you can receive a subsidy if your annual income is less than 4 times the poverty level. That means partial subsidies are available for a couple earning up to $62000 per year
Enrollment Period; Insurance doesn't start until Jan 1st 2014. Open enrollment is now until March 30 2014. You can not get insurance in 2014 unless you sign up before March 30th or meet certain conditions (loss of job, etc.)
Insurance Plans: All the plans need to meet the govt requirements. Plans can also offer additional coverage as well. I have not been able to find out anything regarding coverage outside the local area or other specifics. You may need to call each individual insurance company to find out these details.

If you want to find out about subsidies and estimated costs and are having trouble with the state or federal sites, try the Kaiser Family Trust Affordable Care Act Calculator. (I don't have the site link off the top of my head). No sign up required, you plug in your state, ages, and income, and it provides estimated subsidy and out of pocket costs. (These are ESTIMATES only)

This is a great thread, let's keep sharing and keep each other informed
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:59 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
There is one more thing that's changed .... Women will no longer pay more just for being women. Being a women will no longer be considered a per-exsiting condition.