Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2022, 09:02 AM   #1

Insurance for FT FL domicile

I am wondering about a good insurance that does a true FT coverage for a FL domicile. I ended up dealing with Progressive for years. And I do know there will be extra painful increases the companies will impose on all of us to cover their costs from the hurricane. I cover my Class C and my toad - which is 2 different policies, 2 different classes of insurance.

My car renews every 6 months. They needed my new drivers training certificate to continue that "discount". The reduction that got was reported as $6 on a policy of over $1000 for the six months. Less than 1%. But wait! They also then reduced the discount for paying in full by $3. Effectively netting a $3 discount for the driver’s safety course - way below 1%. Apparently FL doesn't set a minimum discount for this as other states do.

In 6 months since the last renewal this pre-storm rate is a 12% increase When they first sent the paperwork I thought more of the increase was due to the need to see the new certificate, but no. Scares me to think what they will do now after the storm.

Sorry for the frustration. I tried using their "Chat". Turns out "chat" is as accurate as "discount". No real person - just telling me to call. Has anyone found a responsive, at least semi-transparent insurance company that includes the liabiltiy coverage needed for a FT person? Or is double digit increases just a reality for getting vechiles covered (even with no claims in the 5 years with the company)?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2022, 09:52 AM   #2

I use Nat General for a FT policy on the motorhome with full replacement value. For my towed I use Geico. Both have been good and fairly priced over my 5+ years as a Florida domicile and full timer. I even had an expensive motorhome windshield replacement last year and it did not increase my rate at all.
Geico went up almost 20% this year but inflation is out there. Considering it did not increase the past three years I cannot complain much. It actually went down one of those years too.
Old 10-15-2022, 10:45 AM   #3

Try Foremost
Old 10-15-2022, 12:54 PM   #4

We used Miller Insurance Co. to help us find the best and most reasonable full-timer insurance for 16 years. I'd trust them. Insure both vehicles through the same company. They know what full-timers need.

Home | Miller RV Insurance
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 07:14 PM   #5
jrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
We used Miller Insurance Co. to help us find the best and most reasonable full-timer insurance for 16 years. I'd trust them. Insure both vehicles through the same company. They know what full-timers need.

Home | Miller RV Insurance
2X on Miller Insurance
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 07:30 AM   #6

jrs and twogypsies - was there a trick to getting Miller's to respond? I tried to get in touch with them 7-8 months back. The recording warned not to be calling mutiple times or they would move you down the list. I left the message about where I was and what I needed - no reply. Wondered if they were avoiding FT FL but you are saying you are that and they helped? Thanks
Old 10-16-2022, 03:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats_aplenty View Post
jrs and twogypsies - was there a trick to getting Miller's to respond? I tried to get in touch with them 7-8 months back. The recording warned not to be calling mutiple times or they would move you down the list. I left the message about where I was and what I needed - no reply. Wondered if they were avoiding FT FL but you are saying you are that and they helped? Thanks
Try this. I think the link I gave is an old one. Looks like the original Miller retired & son & others took over. There are a couple phone #'s here: https://www.the-millerinsuranceagency.com/locations/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 07:45 AM   #8

We switched some things about 18 months ago. The long and short of it is we ended up with two vehicles and our full timers RV policy with Progressive (we are FL residents).

One of our vehicles recently went up slightly. Have no idea if our full timers policy will go up or not. We had zero claims as a result of the hurricane but that might not mean squat to them. I guess if it goes up I'll start shopping around again.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance