Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2022, 02:58 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon455 View Post
It's amazing to me what people will go through to not pay property taxes on their RV/home or income taxes off of their income/retirement. Then after all of that they go through mental gymnastics to not perform a civic duty in the state/county that is allowing them to save all that other money. How do you look at yourselves in the mirror?
Obviously, you're not a full-time traveling RVer. That's what this section of the forum is all about.

Everyone has to domicile somewhere. Full-timers choose their domicile legally and some states are better than others to do this. Again.... everything is legal.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2022, 10:28 PM   #58

Unfortunately, as of this summer, South Dakota is no longer excusing full-time RVers. Anyone here who says “just call/email/write and say you’re a full-time RVer and you’ll get excused” are basing that on old news/policy. It is currently not possible to get excused for being a full-time RVer. You can simply delay your month of serving, but you need to serve by year’s end.
RVerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 11:45 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVerforlife View Post
Unfortunately, as of this summer, South Dakota is no longer excusing full-time RVers. Anyone here who says “just call/email/write and say you’re a full-time RVer and you’ll get excused” are basing that on old news/policy. It is currently not possible to get excused for being a full-time RVer. You can simply delay your month of serving, but you need to serve by year’s end.
Can you give a link to that information? I could find nothing on this 'new rule'.
Old 08-28-2022, 10:30 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I don't think it's that people don't 'want' to do it. The question is when you're far away traveling there's time and money involved in getting back. Also, what if it were winter? Driving from Florida to South Dakota isn't ideal. What if traveling out of the country?
I think you didn't read nor include in your reply my whole post.
At the time I served a MONTH on a jury I was self employed. I received no income for a month. I served on that jury because I felt it was the right thing to do. I lost 8% of my income that year. 8% of my income was way more than it would cost an rver to return to their chosen domicile state to serve their civic duty. Even today with gas process sky high. But some think they are entitled to "get out" of this because well, it's inconvenient. I clearly disagree. We'll agree to disagree.
Old 08-28-2022, 03:39 PM   #61

I am so in support of computerguy and sharon455. So many folks seem so entitled. I am a full timer, so I am not obligated....

Quote:
Can you give a link to that information? I could find nothing on this 'new rule'.
There is no NEW rule. There has never been any exception to Jury Duty for full time RVers. The only automatic exemption is for breast feeding mothers and certain clergy. Most Felons are not eligible (which is different than an exception or exemption).

The South Dakota code follows. If you have been previously excused, it was totally based on the personal discretion of the local county clerk.

Technically, if you are not in the state you are obligated to get to the state. The courts give you plenty of notice to fly or drive there before your summons date.

16-13-10. Qualifications of jurors.

Any citizen of this state, who is a resident of the county or jury district where the jury is selected, eighteen years of age or older prior to January first of the year of jury service, of sound mind and who is able to read, write, and understand the English language, is eligible to serve as a juror. Any member of the clergy, as defined in § 19-19-505, if jury service conflicts with religious belief, is exempt from jury duty. Any member of a church or religious organization is exempt from jury duty if jury service conflicts with the religious belief of that church or religious organization. Any person who has been convicted of a felony unless restored to civil rights is not eligible to serve as a juror. No potential juror may be excluded from jury duty because of a visual or hearing impairment.

Source: SDC 1939, § 32.1001; SL 1947, ch 149; SL 1972, ch 125, § 11; SL 1973, ch 135, § 4; SL 1976, ch 150, § 1; SL 1982, ch 172, § 8A; SL 1991, ch 175; SL 1992, ch 153, § 11; SL 1997, ch 119, § 3; SL 1999, ch 106, § 1; SL 2006, ch 114, § 1.

16-13-10.1. Policy of state regarding jury selection and service.

It is the policy of the State of South Dakota that all litigants in the courts of this state entitled to trial by jury shall have the right to grand and petit juries selected at random from a fair cross-section of the community in the municipality, district, or county where the court convenes. It is further the policy of the State of South Dakota that all citizens of this state, qualified for jury duty, shall have the opportunity to be considered for service on grand and petit juries in the courts of this state, and shall have an obligation to serve as jurors when summoned for that purpose.

Source: SL 1972, ch 125, § 2.

16-13-10.2. Discrimination prohibited.

No citizen shall be excluded from service as a grand or petit juror in the courts of this state on account of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or economic status.

Source: SL 1972, ch 125, § 3.

16-13-10.3. Certain elderly persons may be excused upon request.

Any person eighty years of age or older may request to be excused from jury duty. The judge shall give substantial weight to the person's request to be relieved from jury duty, balancing the request with the need to impanel a jury.

Source: SL 2009, ch 104, § 1.

16-13-10.4. Breastfeeding mothers and new parents exempt from jury duty.

The parent of a child expected to be born during, or immediately prior to, the scheduled jury duty or a mother breastfeeding a baby younger than one year may submit a written request for an exemption from jury duty to the clerk of court within ten days of receiving the summons for jury duty. A parent who gives written notice shall be exempt from jury duty if the baby is less than six weeks old. A mother shall be exempt from jury duty if she is breastfeeding a baby younger than one year.

Source: SL 2012, ch 114, § 1.
Rlh56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 07:42 PM   #62

Quote:
I don’t have a link but I’m basing my statements off of a phone call and several email exchanges with the Jury Manager of Minnehaha County, as well as phone calls with Your Best Address.
Old 08-31-2022, 08:01 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlh56 View Post
I am so in support of computerguy and sharon455. So many folks seem so entitled. I am a full timer, so I am not obligated....

There is no NEW rule. There has never been any exception to Jury Duty for full time RVers. The only automatic exemption is for breast feeding mothers and certain clergy. Most Felons are not eligible (which is different than an exception or exemption).

The South Dakota code follows. If you have been previously excused, it was totally based on the personal discretion of the local county clerk.

Technically, if you are not in the state you are obligated to get to the state. The courts give you plenty of notice to fly or drive there before your summons date.

16-13-10. Qualifications of jurors.

Any citizen of this state, who is a resident of the county or jury district where the jury is selected, eighteen years of age or older prior to January first of the year of jury service, of sound mind and who is able to read, write, and understand the English language, is eligible to serve as a juror. Any member of the clergy, as defined in § 19-19-505, if jury service conflicts with religious belief, is exempt from jury duty. Any member of a church or religious organization is exempt from jury duty if jury service conflicts with the religious belief of that church or religious organization. Any person who has been convicted of a felony unless restored to civil rights is not eligible to serve as a juror. No potential juror may be excluded from jury duty because of a visual or hearing impairment.

Source: SDC 1939, § 32.1001; SL 1947, ch 149; SL 1972, ch 125, § 11; SL 1973, ch 135, § 4; SL 1976, ch 150, § 1; SL 1982, ch 172, § 8A; SL 1991, ch 175; SL 1992, ch 153, § 11; SL 1997, ch 119, § 3; SL 1999, ch 106, § 1; SL 2006, ch 114, § 1.

16-13-10.1. Policy of state regarding jury selection and service.

It is the policy of the State of South Dakota that all litigants in the courts of this state entitled to trial by jury shall have the right to grand and petit juries selected at random from a fair cross-section of the community in the municipality, district, or county where the court convenes. It is further the policy of the State of South Dakota that all citizens of this state, qualified for jury duty, shall have the opportunity to be considered for service on grand and petit juries in the courts of this state, and shall have an obligation to serve as jurors when summoned for that purpose.

Source: SL 1972, ch 125, § 2.

16-13-10.2. Discrimination prohibited.

No citizen shall be excluded from service as a grand or petit juror in the courts of this state on account of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or economic status.

Source: SL 1972, ch 125, § 3.

16-13-10.3. Certain elderly persons may be excused upon request.

Any person eighty years of age or older may request to be excused from jury duty. The judge shall give substantial weight to the person's request to be relieved from jury duty, balancing the request with the need to impanel a jury.

Source: SL 2009, ch 104, § 1.

16-13-10.4. Breastfeeding mothers and new parents exempt from jury duty.

The parent of a child expected to be born during, or immediately prior to, the scheduled jury duty or a mother breastfeeding a baby younger than one year may submit a written request for an exemption from jury duty to the clerk of court within ten days of receiving the summons for jury duty. A parent who gives written notice shall be exempt from jury duty if the baby is less than six weeks old. A mother shall be exempt from jury duty if she is breastfeeding a baby younger than one year.

Source: SL 2012, ch 114, § 1.
Wow, why the venom toward full time RVers?

We all know the stated law. No, prior exceptions were not made by a local county clerk. The option for fulltime RVers to be excused has been in place for years, available for all fulltime RVers, stated in writing on various websites, and determined by someone higher than a local clerk. The situation here is that there was suddenly an unexpected change that is causing confusion with little explanation as to why, what, now what.

I did not receive “plenty of notice.” I am thankful to be able to move my month of service to later in the year.

Just to be clear: I am happy to serve and am thankful to be a resident of SD.
Old 08-31-2022, 11:10 PM   #64

Hopefully, the Original Poster will return with the final outcome.
Old 09-01-2022, 08:49 AM   #65

You have nothing to lose by calling the courthouse directly, talking to a REAL PERSON, and explaining your situation. This is what ESCAPEES in Texas recommended, as opposed sending something by email or online.
nbaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 08:52 AM   #66

Jury Duty

Hello all fellow IRV2 members . Just wanted to send a final message on this thread and to thank everyone for the great support and information. I didn’t want anyone to think I was shirking my civil duties as a citizen as I have been a public servant my entire life as a member of the volunteer rescue service, a veteran member of the US Army, a 25 year veteran State Trooper and a current member of the US Federal District Courts. I wrote a letter to the clerk of court and asked to only be excused from this particular summons for jury duty and to be placed back into the rotation of eligible citizens. My request was granted and the clerk understood my current situation. Again thanks for everyone’s advice. It was very helpful. Regards
MarkVic Yelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 01:03 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkVic Yelo View Post

I wrote a letter to the clerk of court and asked to only be excused from this particular summons for jury duty and to be placed back into the rotation of eligible citizens. My request was granted and the clerk understood my current situation.
Thank you, so much, for returning with your good outcome!